To add fruit and veg or not...that's the question!

Options

Replies

• fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    I log everything, if I don´t I know I will start slipping.
    Fruits I eat during the day when ever I find I´m getting hungr
    Vegetable I eat with dinner or lunch or both.
    The more you eat of fruits and vegetable every day it counts together and become big figures.
  • msgremmy
    msgremmy Posts: 88
    Options
    I log fruits and veggies, and as other posters said, I don't concern myself with the sugar from fruit. I don't track sugar at all, actually. I do consider cucumber and celery "free foods," but I still log them and have never gone over calories because of them. More so, I use those two as snacks I can have anytime and not feel bad at all.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Foods in nature exist in combination with the vitamins and minerals your body needs to digest them. When these components are removed such as is the case with refined white sugar and other refined foods (white flour, polished rice, etc) then not only do these food fail to provide nutrition, they have a negative nutritive value since your body must diminish stored vitamins and minerals in order to digest them. They are not the same food. However, for people tracking sugar consumption for health concerns the net effect on blood sugar levels is very similar regardless of the source of sugar. High sugar fruits cause a blood sugar spike just like a doughnut.

I track everything, to me nothing is "free" except water.
  • phillieschic
    phillieschic Posts: 615
    Options
    I log everything I eat. I just don't track sugar in fruit as it's natural not processed and if I did I would always go over my daily goal. :)

Exactly. Of course I count the calories, but the blueberries I had for breakfast put me right over my sugar allowance for the day...and I still have cherries and an apple to eat!

Natural sugars are processed and absorbed differently, plus the added bonus of fiber (and other nutrients) in fruit and veggies is far too crucial to me to stop eating them when I reach my allowable sugar intake for the day.

It's the high sugar processed foods and man-made artificial sweeteners that I find to be an issue...and the sugar found in cupcakes is NOT the same as the sugar found in my delicious fruit. :drinker:
  • charanne52
    charanne52 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    MFP is not really a diet as much as it is a tool in changing your eating patterns. It is all about setting daily caloric limits and provides you with a personal diary so you can keep track of what you are eating. It even lets you track specific things like if you are watching your sodium intake or are worried about cholesterol, etc. Some people will count everything they put into their mouth (ie vitamins) but I only put down items that actually contain calories and there are calories in both fruits and vegetables. MFP will not be very effective for you if you are not counting your calories correctly.
  • cavegrl140
    cavegrl140 Posts: 19
    Options
    If I have say a banana or white potatoes I would normally log these as I know they are more calorific but if I'm eating melon or berries or salad veg I don't normally enter these on my diary.

Melons are the most sugar filled fruits and have the highest glycemic index rating. Berries are your best bet for lower cals and sugar content.
  • ShirleyFed5
    ShirleyFed5 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Even though fruit and vegetables are a "free" food on Weight Watcher's, you still track them. You should track them on MFP too.
  • tizzie_14
    tizzie_14 Posts: 72
    Options
    I log EVERYTHING!
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    I add them. It has calories.
  • Dwamma
    Dwamma Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I log everything that I put in my mouth....that way I know for sure where I stand... Best of luck!
  • MoreThanMommie
    MoreThanMommie Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I believe you're referring to the new way Weight Watcher does their points system. Fruit is now free because no one wanted to use 1 or 2 points on it when they could use those points on something else.

But, I log everything. Everything! It's the only way for me to keep myself accountable. Good luck!
  • MrsKillough
    MrsKillough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    If I eat a grape as I walk past the fruit bowl, I won't bother. If I decide to eat a bunch of grapes (or whatever) I'll weigh it and log it.
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    since 1/4-1/3 of my daily calories come from fruits and veggies, yeah, i add them to my diary. It also helps me make sure I'm getting enough fruits and veggies each day.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Add them. This site goes by a calories in vs calories out, not a points or free foods scale.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Fermented grapes are the best fruit for me ;)

I log veg so I can track my fibre intake, being a non-grain eater this is important for my digestive health. Calories are secondary ... Nobody ever got fat binging on carrots or spinach.
  • butterflylover527
    butterflylover527 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    You'd be suprised at how many calories are in fruits and veggies!!
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    If you're over by 1 banana's worth of calories per day (100), you'd gain 10lbs in a year.

Log yo' fruits.
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I log everything.
  • Lulubear511
    Options
    Add it...and the post about not including the sugar...TOTAL NONSENSE! Sugar is exactly the same inside your body whether it comes from fruit or cupcakes! Fruit just happens to have other health benefits!

That is not true. There is a HUGE difference between natural and processed sugars (mainly, how well your body digests them). Do some research.

Exactly. Your body knows the difference between fruit and a cupcake, absolutely.
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    I log them all....they all have calories...no food is a free food because even if low in calories or non at all...there are other things that everyone will need to take consideration of in their daily diets like fiber, sodium, protein, fats...yadda yadda...every food should be added to your diary :)