Ran My 1st 5k??!

Options
Saturday I ran my first 5k with a friend. She is an experienced runner as she runs marathons often. She slowed her pace down a lot to run with me but it was nice to have her there encouraging me. I have ran 3.1 miles on a treadmill but never outside. It was very hard, the hills kicked my butt but all in all, I made it to the finish line! It took me 48 minutes (which is a lot longer than I wanted) and am a little disappointed but have a time to beat for next time I guess. Anyway, I just wanted to share :)

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! Outside running is a lot harder than treadmill running for sure.

Don't be disappointed. You always run your first race and then race your second because now you have at time to beat. :)
  • Jessibear86
    Jessibear86 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    don't be disappointed! running outside is WAY different then on a treadmill. but still, great job!!!
  • gretchenwb
    gretchenwb Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    That is terrific! I am just now getting up to 2.5 and 3 miles-incredibly slow but I have a hilly neighborhood-and am working on speed! I just started in May.
  • courtneylee31
    courtneylee31 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Dont be disappointed, the fact that you finished it is awsome!!! Now you have a time to beat! Great job
  • alicepoppyh
    Options
    To be honest, the fact that you were brave enough to get to the STARTING line let alone fit enough to get to the finish line, is pretty brilliant as far as I'm concerned.. Give yourself some credit! Well done. x
  • annie7hudds
    annie7hudds Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Welll done! Don't be so down on your time of 48 mins. It takes practice to get used to running outdoors.

Whereabouts are you based? In the UK (and in some US towns) parkrun is very popular. It is a fantastic way to improve on your time each week.

www.parkrun.co.uk
  • missleah26
    missleah26 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm the opposite of you-- I struggle SO MUCH on the treadmill and can only run outside! Once you start racing, though, it's hard to stop :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Any time you cross the finish line for the first time is a good time! Now you know what to expect, what to work on (yes, hills suck! But they're good for you.), and a goal to beat next time. :smile:
  • hopeitworks
    hopeitworks Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be disappointed at all. You should be proud of your accomplishment. You ran and completed a 5K. That is an amazing accomplishment. Way to go!!!
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    A *BIG* congratulations to you! That's awesome!

I'm running my first race this Saturday: a 10K. I'm pretty scared. Have done the distance on my own lots of times, but am worried about being anxious running with others. I'm so pleased to read about your success! Thanks for sharing; it helps me, too.
  • 2moonNback
    2moonNback Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! I am registered for my first 5k on August 25th and I am so excited. I have said I will finish I don't care if it takes me all day and I have to crawl across the finish line....
  • Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Many congratulations. Doesn't matter about the time, you were way faster than the guy sitting on the couch, and now you have a target to beat next time.
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I teared up a little reading this! Congrats!! That is HUGE and you should be so proud!

Memories of completing my first 5k came with this post - I also had a girlfriend who slowed down and ran it with me - she lives in the States and i live in Canada and SHE was my inspiration to start running in the first place. Aaaaaand she is coming to visit me tomorrow for three days!! - I can't wait to run with her again, it's been a year! Since then, I have completed 6k in 31:04 minutes and 10k in 53:35 - so I think I may have a better chance of keeping up with her!

Keep on Keeping on! It's AMAzing!
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I think you should be very proud of yourself. I think you did great!

And now you have a time to beat in the next race.

WTG!!
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Think about how many people have never and will never even attempt to do what you did! You should feel so proud!
  • EternalJourney
    Options
    Congratulations!! That is an awesome success. Ready for your next 5k now?? I heard it gets addicting.. ;^)

Congrats.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME and SO VERY COOL. You've accomplished one of the goals I've set for myself. You deserve a big :flowerforyou:
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Outside running ("real running" lol) is a lot harder for many reasons. But at least it's more interesting! You did a fantastic job and you should be really proud :)
  • ski0721
    ski0721 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! I recently ran my first 5k as well and also only trained on the treadmill. What a difference! I plan to start jogging outside more often as long as it isn't too hot out!
  • robinhardysmall
    robinhardysmall Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Congratulations!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!