greek yogurt- help!

Options
jamiek917
jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
im not a huge yogurt fan anyway, but a lot of the yoplait light line is pretty decent. i know Greek yogurt is a better option, but I really hated the few ive tasted (the sour after taste is gross to me)

Any recommendations for a truly good flavor/brand? please remember im not a huge yogurt fan to begin with!

Replies

• Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Try this - chobani or Oikos plain yogurt - small cup - frozen strawberries - 3 packages of Stevia in the Raw and blend. Add milk if you want to thin it. Tastes AWESOME, like a frozen dessert. Try different frozen berries with it. I also like the Oikos zero fat fruit in the bottom cherry, blueberry, and strawberry. Have you tried Oikos yet? It is a Dannon product.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    It's more tart than regular yogurt but it's tons better for you. I actually really like the taste. I've been adding Kashi - Go Lean Crisp! - Toasted Berry Crumble to mine and it's really good IMO. I normally buy the Chobani - Greek Vanilla Yogurt Non-Fat.

Look at my food diary today and see what the stats are on this treat. Tons of protein, fairly low carbs, and hardly any fat. Love the crunch and creamy texture combination.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    The reason why you enjoy the Yoplait stuff is probably because of the stuff they add into the yoghurt, not the yoghurt itself. All yoghurt naturally has a tart flavor, and greek yoghurt is just a more condensed version. Adding any sort of fruit and sweetener to the greek yoghurt will give it a similar flavor, but adding stuff obviously changes the nutritional value. I am confused about why you want to make yourself eat something you find gross, though. I would suggest you just eat something else. Maybe cottage cheese would be a better option for you.
  • bserwack
    bserwack Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Chobani Champions, they are 100 cals a piece and taste good...I don't really like the taste of greek yogurt either w/ the exception of these!
  • Amandajp79
    Amandajp79 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I use to HATE yogurt. I now LOVE Chobani non fat yogurt. Blueberry, Black Cherry and Pomegranate are all super yummy. I add a half scoop of vanilla protein powder to it. Its like dessert! And loaded with protein, about 27g. Good luck with finding what you like. (ps. these yogurts are 6oz for only $1) :bigsmile:
  • ShanaGore
    ShanaGore Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I was a yoplait light person as well, but after learning that Greek is healthier I switched to Dannon Oikos. Sometimes I get the vanilla and put different fruit on top to keep it from getting boring. I LOVE the key lime flavor and the fruit on the bottom strawberry. The conistancy is different then yoplait and it take me trying it a few times to get use to it, but now I prefer the Dannon Oikos over any yoplait flavor.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Try this - chobani or Oikos plain yogurt - small cup - frozen strawberries - 3 packages of Stevia in the Raw and blend. Add milk if you want to thin it. Tastes AWESOME, like a frozen dessert. Try different frozen berries with it. I also like the Oikos zero fat fruit in the bottom cherry, blueberry, and strawberry. Have you tried Oikos yet? It is a Dannon product.
    thanks! :happy:

Definitely a Chobani fan but love the Fage as well! Even better try and make your own...check the site and see lots of ways to do that. VERY VERY low cost that way. I purchased some chobani lately because it was on sale and I didn't have milk to make my own so on occasion I still purchase it, but only on a great sale.

As some have shared using plain (either bought or homemade) and adding in fruits, powders etc. that you like is far less costly.

You can make a large size container for only pennys per serving vs. $1-$3 that you usually find the Greek. Also plain Greek can be used for sour creme, yadda x 3... it can sub for so many things.:drinker:
  • joslin2005
    joslin2005 Posts: 138
    Options
    I buy the Greek Gods Yogurt. The Honey Strawberry tastes like dessert to me. But DON'T make the mistake of buying the plain greek yogurt. It has an awful taste. My hubby put it in his protein shake and it had a horrible after taste to it.
  • Mad4282
    Mad4282 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Fage with honey is my absolute fave, followed by the yoplait greek yogurt parfaits. SO YUM!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Better Whey Of Life, Fage Total (full fat, not 2%), Chobani, Greek Gods-- in that order.
  • Mommy2Avaj
    Mommy2Avaj Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Oikos is the best ive tasted so far. Put vanilla in the blended with juice of a lime and zest, add three ice cubes and viola! Frozen treat that is sweet and tangy!!!
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    just get a plain yoghurt (which is better for you, less sugars in it) and add a scoop of protien powder. it turns it into a nice pudding type thing.
  • kimmieyr1
    kimmieyr1 Posts: 189
    Options
    For me adding fruit and Splenda works as well. But, if you don't like why eat it? There are too many other foods to eat to force yourself to eat something you don't enjoy. If you eat foods you don't enjoy I don't think you can stick with it. Just my opinion.
  • znm100
    znm100 Posts: 148
    Options
    I love Choboni non fat apple and cinnamon... then I will crumple up a fiber one bar and add it in for texture, and it makes a great, filling snack.
  • tumblyweed
    tumblyweed Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not for everyone straight out of the cup. Try mixing it with berries and making a smoothie. The zing and the berries compliment to make a really refreshing, high protein snack.
  • sunnyflower1177
    Options
    I eat the Chobani greek yogurts with fruit at the bottom so far i really like the mango flavored one!!! try it u might enjoy!!
  • mbgambill
    mbgambill Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    OMG!! Try Greek Gods Honey yogurt is out of this world good!! I prefer it over ice cream!! It does have lots of calories which just means you can't eat as much as you'd like to but it is well worth the calorie count. I can only find it at Kroger.
  • penguinlally
    penguinlally Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    i love oikos - its so tasty and almost always on sale at Safeway lol We eat the plain with fresh fruit ( sometimes I make a warm compote and use that) and occasionally a small squiggle of honey. My honey and I are so used to it that we fiind the vanilla a little too sweet...The trader joe's brand is yummy too.... We eat that at home and pack the oikos for lunches.
  • buckeyegirl0103
    buckeyegirl0103 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Chobani with fruit blended in- pineapple and apple/cin are my favs. Also Dannon Oikios vanilla with 1/4 grape nuts and some sliced strawberries is EXCELLENT!!!
  • EvilPink
    EvilPink Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Add stevia and some fruit. I put a little granola in mine on occasion too if I have extra calories to spare.