greek yogurt- help!

Options

Replies

• Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite is Chobani Pineapple. I use it as my incentive treat for running! :)
  • acaruso619
    acaruso619 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love the Voikos brand...it seems less "tart" than the others. The vanilla honey is amazing! I also like the kind with granola mix-ins.
  • zmzmzm19
    zmzmzm19 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt in general confuses me....I know it is much more protein, but when I read the labels, I see so much more sugar than other yogurt....can someone help me with understanding how more sugar can be better for you? This has "bugged" me for awhile now! I need clarity! thanks! :blushing:
  • Sentrita
    Sentrita Posts: 26
    Options
    I, personally, make my own yogurt. It turns out more delicate but, I can choose what I want in it and usually a nice spoonful of honey added to a cup of homemade yogurt with some fruit tastes just grand to me.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I eat the Chobani greek yogurts with fruit at the bottom so far i really like the mango flavored one!!! try it u might enjoy!!
    Have never seen the Mango one! Will definitely be on the look out, glad you posted.:wink:
    My absolute favorite is Chobani Pineapple. I use it as my incentive treat for running! :)
    Oh my favorite as well:love: ... hm, the Vanilla? wasn't so keen on that... I think I'll stick with making my own or purchasing pre-packaged (on occasion) on the tried and true ones, that way I can't go wrong! But the Mango does sounds divine, so will make an exception for that when I find it. lol
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Oikos has been my fave until recently, when I bought a case of Fage at Costco... it is heavenly. Remember to stir any yogurt really well to make it creamier. I also use plain greek yogurt to make dressing- a couple drops of sesame oil and some garlic and you also have an amazing dip. :)

I was never a yogurt fan, and force fed myself the yoplait stuff just to get the good for you stuff out of it. Now, with the Greek stuff, it is like a dessert, and I have to be careful not to have too much!
  • BigDave1050
    BigDave1050 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Chobani 2% is the best I have ever tried! I eat it almost everyday now.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I add a tblspn of honey and a 1/2 tblspn of chia seeds to plain. It makes it crunchy, and the honey is sweet enough to cut some of the sourness of the yogurt. I've tried Oikos, Chobani, but my fave is Fage.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I, personally, make my own yogurt. It turns out more delicate but, I can choose what I want in it and usually a nice spoonful of honey added to a cup of homemade yogurt with some fruit tastes just grand to me.
    Curious your method for making your own? I have several and have now found what I think might be the simplest method for myself, but always love to learn how others make theirs as well.

So much less costly, yes?! Blows my mind how buying it can add up so quickly, especially on the individual containers. It's convenient that way in a pinch, so I can see why sometimes one might pick up a few of the pre-packaged. :blushing: :tongue:
  • Coyotemama
    Coyotemama Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Chobani nonfat plain. I add a couple teaspoons of stevia to it and cut up fruit with a bit of grapenuts or granola on top. By far, one of my favorite quick breakfasts.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    you guys are awesome- thank you. i will try a few that you mentioned- id like to avoid adding things to it because it can add up more calories than i'd like (and i hate to take away cals from my day from things that i already really like), so I hope i find one i like without any additives!
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    you guys are awesome- thank you. i will try a few that you mentioned- id like to avoid adding things to it because it can add up more calories than i'd like (and i hate to take away cals from my day from things that i already really like), so I hope i find one i like without any additives!

If you're worried about adding too many calories, stick with some sweetener (I use honey, personally, but others have suggested stevia or truvia which is calorie free) and some cinnamon added to the plain stuff. Cinnamon is ridiculously low calories (almost but not quite zero), and with the sweetener the yogurt is pretty tasty.

Another low-cal option is to mix in some sugar free jell-o mix.

My personal fave is honey and berries. I mash 'em up, mix it all up and eat. Delicious.
  • rozie0310
    rozie0310 Posts: 4
    Options
    I get the plain greek yogurt and add agave nectar. It is so good! Honey is good too, but agave is better for you.
  • Sarasari
    Sarasari Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I really like yoplait greek yogurt,coconut flavor. It is 110 calories for 4 ounces.I use it over fruit with a little all bran.The yogurt is sweetened with sugar,but like the lowfat yoplait regular yogurt,does not contain aspartame. I have to avoid aspartame for headaches.
  • jamiek917
    Options
    good call- thanks!

AMAZING stats btw :) congrats!
  • dodgersprincess
    Options
    My family and I like Dannon with Honey. If I have a coupon, sometimes, I will get the Yoplait.
  • jamiek917
    Options
    [If you're worried about adding too many calories, stick with some sweetener (I use honey, personally, but others have suggested stevia or truvia which is calorie free) and some cinnamon added to the plain stuff. Cinnamon is ridiculously low calories (almost but not quite zero), and with the sweetener the yogurt is pretty tasty.

Another low-cal option is to mix in some sugar free jell-o mix.

My personal fave is honey and berries. I mash 'em up, mix it all up and eat. Delicious. ]

good call- thanks!

AMAZING stats btw :) congrats!
    [/quote]
  • Sentrita
    Sentrita Posts: 26
    Options
    Curious your method for making your own? I have several and have now found what I think might be the simplest method for myself, but always love to learn how others make theirs as well.

So much less costly, yes?! Blows my mind how buying it can add up so quickly, especially on the individual containers. It's convenient that way in a pinch, so I can see why sometimes one might pick up a few of the pre-packaged. :blushing: :tongue:

I scald a half gallon of whole milk until it is 185 degrees F. then I let my milk cool in a cold water bath to 125 degrees F and then add about 1 cup of starter yogurt (my sister has recommended freezing some starter yogurt, I've not tried it from the frozen ones yet) to the whole thing and pour into pint jars. I usually add vanilla extract to each jar before pouring the yogurt in. Then I put the jars into a cooler that has a 125 degree F water bath in it and leave them for at least 3 hours to set up.

For firmer yogurt I do add a few tablespoons of dry milk to the whole milk before I scald it. And the money it saves, like you said, is amazing!!!
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is an acquired taste. I felt the same way at first, but now I can eat nonfat plain Greek yogurt all by it's self. I usually buy either chobani or stonyfield organic. I buy plain and vanilla (for my sweet tooth), the fruit varities have way too much sugar. Once you get used to the taste, you will be having it with everything. You can use it to make salad dressings, in smoothies, on wraps, with fruit, with ceral/granola, on mexican night, etc. Plain Greek yogurt is extremely versatile.
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    Options
    I have tried all of the brands, and don't notice a difference between brands. I only eat plain, but I have learned to LOVE (actually crave it) by gradually working into acquiring a taste for it. I started out by adding protein powder (lots for flavor), sugar free chocolate syrup, and fruit. I stopped using the syrup after a while, then took out the fruit, etc. I eat it in a variety of different ways, and love it. I add cinnamon, protein, and kashi cereal for crunch...or nuts for crunch. I also love adding a tsp of sugar free pudding mix....cheese cake flavor. It tastes and has the consistency of real cheese cake. YUM!!