Cannot stop eating

Options
13»

Replies

• vsecret921
    vsecret921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I chew Trident gum since it's sugar free. When I feel like randomly eating I chew gum first and if I truly am hungry then I go eat but usually that cuts the cravings :)
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    You sound like me. I work at a health food store so I would eat the hell out of some expensive health food chips and health food fake orios thinking i was doing no harm, and woke up one morning at 200 lbs. being here has helped so much! if you log every thing you eat, you grow your awareness of just how much you are eating. very eye opening!
  • Lalaine1
    Lalaine1 Posts: 11
    Options
    I eat until I'm beyond full, and I eat when I'm not even hungry. I can't seem to control it and I'm at a loss for what to do. It's not as easy as just stopping, trust me, I've been trying. Sometimes I even get a sense of panic when I try to tell myself not to. I hope I'm not alone in this... it's not a matter of hunger, even. I'm just frustrated and upset with myself and really don't know how to get this under control. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.

A lot of these responses are typical dieter responses. It's NOT just about will power. It's NOT about drinking more water, warmer water, flavored water... it's not even about making healthier choices when you do stuff yourself, or trying to distract yourself by doing other things. After reading your statement about panic, the first thing that came to my mind is that you may want to have your insulin checked.

This is no exaggeration- I would have full blown panic attacks if I wasn't eating constantly. I would get migraines. I had food in my mouth about every 20 minutes to stave off the anxiety, the shaking, and the headaches I was getting. Didn't matter if it was carrots or chocolate. I HAD to keep eating. I thought it might be food addiction- and it was, in a sense. Carbs are just brutal for me. I am insulin resistant, and my blood sugar was spiking and crashing so drastically, I was out of control. Some people with insulin resistance don't get that bad, but I do. No appetite suppressant in the world will help with this problem because it's not your appetite. No amount of water will curb the drive to eat because it can't balance your blood sugar. You can't distract yourself from the need to eat because your body is in a tailspin. The only thing that helped me was getting on insulin medication (metformin) and following a low carb diet. About three days in, I was a new person. My entire mood had changed. I stopped obsessing about food, the headaches went away, the anxiety went away. My husband never believed me that I was doing everything I could to control my eating, but that I couldn't. He just kept telling me I was weak. But he noticed the difference almost instantly in my personality and my eating when I got my sugar under control. Even if your problem isn't severe enough to require meds, I'm betting if you cut down on carbs you will get more in control. Even healthy sugar sources like fruit can send you spinning out of control. Sugar is sugar is sugar. I would stuff myself sick with apples, and it would only get worse.

That is extremely interesting, I really appreciate the information. I'm fairly certain I'm not insulin resistant since I'm not overweight, however I'm now remembering my last blood tests and how I was borderline hypoglycemic. I may need to go back to the doctor. I often get strange feelings of extreme cold and disorientation paired with fatigue which are all symptomatic of hypoglycemia I believe. Thanks so much, this may be my answer.
  • svelteJayne
    svelteJayne Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought that is new to me and I'm trying for the first time right now: Set the ever-so-annoying oven timer or a clock radio on a station you can't stand and don't allow yourself to turn it off until your feet are on the way OUT of the kitchen - preferably with a water bottle in hand. I've spent the last 3 hours working in front of my computer, making phone calls, and have consumed my breakfast, lunch and a snack already! I would also suggest Have A Plan ready the night before for what you're supposed to be doing at a specific time... so before you even step foot into the kitchen you know you have an Exit Strategy. I also hung a new bathing suit on a hanger on my kitchen wall, and another on the handle of my refrigerator. Imagery!
  • lustergirl
    lustergirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I may be in control, but this is something that feels entirely out of my control. It wouldn't be an issue otherwise. Does anyone else have helpful advice, or am I the only one that struggles with this?

Try chewing gum. I find that helps.