Healthy Mexican Food eating

Options
2»

Replies

• kaytiecakes
    kaytiecakes Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I order chicken fajitas and eat the meat and veggies right off the skillet with a fork, no tortillas here. i also mix it on a plate with the lettuce and tomatoes and add a little salsa from the table. i rarely eat the tortillas. but i do (in moderation) partake in the free chips and salsa.

i used to drink margaritas but knowing how much sugar and calories are in them, I don't drink them anymore. If i want some festive alcohol, i'll get a Dos Equis or a Sol.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    You could also say "screw it", and have chile relleno, enchiladas or chilaquiles. :devil:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    You could also say "screw it", and have chile relleno, enchiladas or chilaquiles. :devil:

when i say "screw it", i like to go for pollo con crema, or a big ridiculous burrito
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options

when i say screw it, i usually go for the margarita!
  • mtaylor33557
    mtaylor33557 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    A lot of places will have a "grilled chicken salad" on the menu. Its a big garden salad with fresh peppers and onions, with the chicken they use for fajitas, and a little bit of that "white" cheese, that I can never remember the name of. I eat them often, and they are very yummy.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    ... and a little bit of that "white" cheese, that I can never remember the name of.
    Cotija? A crumbly, but not too dry white cheese -- almost like a mild feta?

queso-cotija.jpg
  • hanahlai
    hanahlai Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I get a side order of grilled chicken, beans & rice. And then I drink about a huge 44 oz cup of water(the restaurant I go to has this size cup.lol) at the same time because it tends to still be salty. lol

I also like eating just the fajita mixture (no tortillas) with the salad parts.
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I eat the chips and salsa (but only a little) and load up the salsa on each chip. Or I get a little bowl of guacamole to share and load up the guac on the chips. I generally get one or two tacos in corn tortillas and beans, black if they have them, if not refried. I skip the rice.
  • mkmarasch
    mkmarasch Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This thread is not a lot of fun :grumble: No tequila?

I'm with you - screw the margarita - mas tequila por favor! :drinker:

12693777.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I always order a chicken salad, hold the cheese, dressings on the side. Even if there isn't one on the menu, you can ask. A lot of restaurants, I"ve found, have things they can or will make that are not on the menu if you request them. I get an all veggie salad, no cheese, no croutons, none of that extra added stuff, and either a grilled chicken breast or fajita chicken meat on it. Since I have such a light meal, I can splurge on some chips and salsa then.

Good luck!!
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    skip the flour tortillas, chips, dips & ask for no cheese. other than that unless you're preparing the food yourself or you have nutritional info from the restaurant, its almost impossible to guage how bad the dishes are for you. being a mexican myself i personall know that everything is made with lard or oil so even "healthy" foods like rice can be LOADED with sodium and bad fats.

your mexican food friends are protein based dishes, corn tortillas (if you must), and pinto beans.
  • Kitten2629
    Kitten2629 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    If I am going out for Mexican food I fit it into my calories. lol I try to make healthier versions at home. We eat a lot of Mexican food in my house. We are from Phoenix, Arizona, and sadly in this part of Texas not a lot of places make authentic Mexican food.
  • SaSSyhasCurls
    Options
    I try to get a chicken wrap with maybe a little rice and beans, with a salad on the side. If I go to Chipotle I eat the bowl with (chicken or veggie (guca) brown rice, black beans (sometimes I leave out the beans if I do the chicken option) extra lettuce and all the difference salsas I want)
  • jadamuriel76
    jadamuriel76 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Eat whatever I want but only half of the portion!