Hotel room workouts?

Options
Hi everyone,

Looking to pick your fitness brains, and am looking for opinions, ideas and recommendations!!

In a couple of weeks I am going to be spending three weeks living out of a suitcase in a city I don't know, for work.

Currently, I don't know which hotel, and I don't know what hours I will be working, but we're probably talking a mix of 8-14 hour days.

I am signed up for a 5km obstacle race at the end of the job, and I want to keep my training consistent throughout that time, but HOW and WHAT?

I currently run, box and lift weights, but the likelihood is I won't have the facilities to do any boxing, and the hotel may not have a gym. I could buy some weights once I arrive, but the likelihood is I won't have a day off to do that, and I don't fancy trekking them all the way there and back!

I was thinking something like P90X / Insanity / BBL might be suitable? A pack of DVDs I can work through while I'm there...

What do you fine folks think?

Replies

• knitfastpurlyoung
    knitfastpurlyoung Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    That looks really great! Thank you! :D
  • nataliefamily3
    Options
    A resistance band would travel easily and you can do a variety of exercises. Other than that like you said exercise dvds,.or go fora jog if your phone has gps it should pick a route with a sidewalk if you say you are walking.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I've taken my CLX dvds and resistance bands on trips with me and it worked just fine!
  • knitfastpurlyoung
    Options
    A resistance band would travel easily and you can do a variety of exercises. Other than that like you said exercise dvds,.or go fora jog if your phone has gps it should pick a route with a sidewalk if you say you are walking.

A resistance band is a good idea...
  • knitfastpurlyoung
    Options
    I've taken my CLX dvds and resistance bands on trips with me and it worked just fine!

What is CLX?
  • knitfastpurlyoung
    Options
    bump.
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Currently I am working out with "You Are Your Own Gym" (YAYOG) and you can pretty much do these exercises anywhere with no weights other than body weight. There is an app that has all of the exercises in it as well as a workout plans. Not much discussion abou YAYOG on MFP so I started a blog about my progression: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EPICSRT

Also, anything Jillian Michaels is generally pretty good as long as you have something to play a disk on. I've done JM in hotels before even on second or third floors. Just pick one that doesn't have a lot of jumping.
  • Monisfit4life
    Monisfit4life Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Looking to pick your fitness brains, and am looking for opinions, ideas and recommendations!!

In a couple of weeks I am going to be spending three weeks living out of a suitcase in a city I don't know, for work.

Currently, I don't know which hotel, and I don't know what hours I will be working, but we're probably talking a mix of 8-14 hour days.

I am signed up for a 5km obstacle race at the end of the job, and I want to keep my training consistent throughout that time, but HOW and WHAT?

I currently run, box and lift weights, but the likelihood is I won't have the facilities to do any boxing, and the hotel may not have a gym. I could buy some weights once I arrive, but the likelihood is I won't have a day off to do that, and I don't fancy trekking them all the way there and back!

I was thinking something like P90X / Insanity / BBL might be suitable? A pack of DVDs I can work through while I'm there...

I travel alot for work and I use Turbofire workouts. Any workouts that do not require equipment will travel well. I know that you can use resistance bands with P90x so that will travel well too. Insanity does not require any equipment at all so that is good too. I am not sure if BBL uses equipment, but I am sure you can use resistance bands for that one too. They are all good choices. Good luck to you!
  • rustyfla
    rustyfla Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you find a gym near your work/hotel, and let them know your working there temporarily, many gyms will provide you a month month membership. Especially if your near some large corporations who have many consultants coming and going.
    check with your Hotel, alot of times, they have an agreement with a local gym.
  • MileHighScott
    MileHighScott Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of hotels that have agreements with local gyms so you should ask at the front desk. I travel a lot for work (about 3 weeks every month.) I have been able to do P90x and Insanity. You'll need some resistance bands but otherwise you can complete the workouts in your room.

Most hotels will have at least some cardio equipment. Not all will have weights.

Other things you can always do in your hotel:
    -treadmill
    -bike
    -elliptical
    -run the stairs in the hotel (I do this all the time)
    -push ups
    -various crunches
    -swim (if there is a pool, obviously)
  • knitfastpurlyoung
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I travel alot for work and I use Turbofire workouts. Any workouts that do not require equipment will travel well. I know that you can use resistance bands with P90x so that will travel well too. Insanity does not require any equipment at all so that is good too. I am not sure if BBL uses equipment, but I am sure you can use resistance bands for that one too. They are all good choices. Good luck to you!

Thank you! I will check out all of those. :)
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    What is CLX?
    Chalean Extreme with Chalene Johnson, the same lady from turbofire and turbo jam :)
  • knitfastpurlyoung
    Options
    If you find a gym near your work/hotel, and let them know your working there temporarily, many gyms will provide you a month month membership. Especially if your near some large corporations who have many consultants coming and going.
    check with your Hotel, alot of times, they have an agreement with a local gym.

I will thank you! Its a cheap, chain hotel, which I've since found out doesn't have a gym, so I will definitely be seeing if they have a relationship with a local gym, or can recommend one, or seek out a month's membership. Thank you!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Get a suspension trainer with a door anchor, such as the Jungle Gym XT by Lifeline USA, the TRX, or the Human Trainer. All you need for a KILLER workout. It's my primary source of exercise and it hasn't failed me yet.
  • knitfastpurlyoung
    Options

I travel a lot for work (about 3 weeks every month.) I have been able to do P90x and Insanity. You'll need some resistance bands but otherwise you can complete the workouts in your room.

I'm definitely leaning towards one of these programmes. Although, now I know what hotel I'm in, I doubt I'll have the floor space... Grrrr....
  • knitfastpurlyoung
    Options
    What is CLX?
    Chalean Extreme with Chalene Johnson, the same lady from turbofire and turbo jam :)

Ah! Thank you. I'll take a look.
  • knitfastpurlyoung
    Options
    Get a suspension trainer with a door anchor, such as the Jungle Gym XT by Lifeline USA, the TRX, or the Human Trainer. All you need for a KILLER workout. It's my primary source of exercise and it hasn't failed me yet.

Oooh, that could be a good idea... Nice one!
  • Pgarcia413
    Pgarcia413 Posts: 28
    Options
    I second the TRX. My last vacation we took one of these and we just put it up on our door or anywhere on the deck (it was a cruise but arrived a day early and stayed in a hotel). You can get a complete body workout with the TRX and it takes up little space.
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options

Thanks for this! I have a 15 day hotel stay coming up!