Why I've found exercise is really important

Options
A lot of studies have come out to conclude that exercise doesn't effect the actual drop on the scale when losing weight. I have now lost weight doing both, exercising and cutting calories and just cutting calories. I wanted to share my experience for those who get confused about it. From my experience, the studies are mostly true. Cutting calories and eating clean foods was the most important thing to actual scale movement. However, I found that exercise seems to make a huge difference where the fat comes off on my body. This time around when I exercised and counted calories, most of the fat seems to have come off my tummy and my hips. The other time where I just counted calories, I didnt look as thin at the same weight and I tended to lose it all over and not as noticeably in my stomach. So don't let the articles discourage you from adding exercise to your weight loss regime, its very important in how you'll end up looking in the end!

If you've had a similar experience and found exercise was more important than a lot of studies have made it out to be in weight loss, Id love to hear your story!

Replies

• drsdghtr
    drsdghtr Posts: 27
    Options
    I definately agree about the exercise. I had gotten into Zumba pretty heavily last year and lost almost 40 lbs. Not only did the inches come off with the weight I just felt better and had more flexibility and energy. I didnt even watch my diet as much during that time. I ended up needed a noninvasive hip surgery which resulted in my stopping Zumba at the time. Being away from the exercise I of course saw the weight go back up, even watching my diet at that point. I am getting back to more activity and exercise and again I see the drop in inches & weight. I still need to have my other hip done so I am not as gung-ho as prior to surgeries but I am trying to stay motivated and doing different exercises to keep it interesting. I still have a long way to go but as long as I keep trying :}
  • dimples41479
    Options
    I 100% agree and have had the same results!
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight by cutting calories, but walking has improved my stamina and overall health. I can walk 5 miles no problem. I can outwalk my fit hubby without problems which makes me very proud. Exercise does help, plus it gives a person energy.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I was losing weight (over 14lb) but didn't lose any inches round my waist until I started properly exercising, and then they dropped off pretty quickly (at the beginning anyway).