Breakfast at Work

Options
jesss5885
jesss5885 Posts: 187 Member
Any ideas of how to have a filling breakfast at work without a lot of carbs??

I'm looking for ideas other than cereal, toast, bagels, english muffins, etc.

Has anyone tried eggwhite mugs??

Replies

• soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest microwaved eggs which I'm assuming is the same thing as what you mentioned (eggwhite mugs).

I spray a mug with no-cal cooking spray such as pam, crisco, etc then crack an egg into it (or you can use egg beaters/whites). Add any extras you want, I usually do bell peppers, pinch of salt, chilli powder for a kick and a bit of shredded cheddar. I microwave for 30 sec, check on it and do another 15 sec or so while checking on it.

Great, quick breakfast and a lot of times I make an egg mcmuffin by adding it to an english muffin or put it in a wrap.
  • jesss5885
    Options
    Thanks!!

Does it smell up the kitchen with egg? I'm worried about doing that in the office kitchen...
  • direwolfprincess
    direwolfprincess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I love hard boiled eggs and fruit. I usually buy a dozen eggs and boil them ahead of time, pop them in the fridge and grab one or two on my way out the door.
  • soaps54
    soaps54 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    jesss - not that I remember. I've only done it a few times because I usually stick with my oatmeal and boiled eggs in the morning but you may want to try it at home first and make sure.
  • Bubs05
    Bubs05 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I do egg white "omelets" in muffin tins on Sunday nights. Little spray of Pam in each tin and add egg whites (or whole eggs) and whatever veggies, diced ham, cheese, whatever and bake at 325 for about 25 minutes. Let them cool, place in zip-locks and grab and go all week.
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love hard boiled eggs and fruit. I usually buy a dozen eggs and boil them ahead of time, pop them in the fridge and grab one or two on my way out the door.

I too do this all the time. I also cut them up with a few onions and red or green peppers and spinach and throw them in a wrap!
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I work to have a high protein breakfast (30 grams of protein or more) as that seems to keep my cravings down throughout the day. What I do is bring a 2 hard boiled eggs and a chicken apple sausage to work with a piece of rice bread. I microwave the sausage and toast the bread and I'm good to go.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!

Does it smell up the kitchen with egg? I'm worried about doing that in the office kitchen...

If its just egg whites it shouldnt smell up the ofice :) I like doing these too, some egg whites a little cheese, salsa on top after its cooked (i suppose one could add the salas to the egg whites too) side of whole grain toast. great breakfast!

I've never microwaved a whole egg in a cup, I imagine it would be no worse than the lingering smell of toast. :)
    Mind you we have a co-worker that nukes fish and broccoli on (almost) a daily basis. Id take the egg smell anyday lol
  • jesss5885
    Options
    I do egg white "omelets" in muffin tins on Sunday nights. Little spray of Pam in each tin and add egg whites (or whole eggs) and whatever veggies, diced ham, cheese, whatever and bake at 325 for about 25 minutes. Let them cool, place in zip-locks and grab and go all week.

this is awesome!

thanks for the tips everyone!! =)
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I work to have a high protein breakfast (30 grams of protein or more) as that seems to keep my cravings down throughout the day. What I do is bring a 2 hard boiled eggs and a chicken apple sausage to work with a piece of rice bread. I microwave the sausage and toast the bread and I'm good to go.
    I like the chicken apple sausages too! I sometimes have one and a grapefruit or some other fruit with it as my breakfast.
  • Jvsg14
    Jvsg14 Posts: 5
    Options
    I like plain greek yogurt flavored with crystal light.
  • bserwack
    bserwack Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Morningstar sausage patties are good
  • wallj135
    wallj135 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I take a pot of greek yoghurt with some almonds and some kind of fruit: raisins, cranberries, raspberries, blueberries, chopped banana. Delicious and not much preparation!
  • eviltwinkie
    eviltwinkie Posts: 153
    Options
    For awhile I was doing egg beaters, some cheese, and frozen chopped spinach in a mug. Pretty tasty.

Cottage cheese. I like mine with stevia, lemon, and frozen blueberries.

You can pre-make some 'egg cups' and eat them cold or reheat.

Hardboiled eggs. Low fat cheese (baby bel.) Nugo protein bars.

Rolled oats (5 min cook type, stevia and lemon added in) with just enough boiling water to cover em to soak (cover for a min or two.) Don't nuke them. They're nice and chewy. Not low carb, but that's been a fav lately. Sometimes I add a bit of fruit or yogurt in after a few minutes.
  • MrsRando
    MrsRando Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favs;

Ingredients

5 large eggs
    4 oz turkey sausage
    5 oz canned mushrooms
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    2 oz shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese

Directions

Pre-heat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C). Coat a 6-cup non-stick muffin pan with cooking spray, or line with paper baking cups.
    In a medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage, pepper, and onion for 5 minutes or until the sausage is no longer pink.
    Spoon the mixture into a bowl and let cool slightly. Stir in the eggs and mushrooms.
    Evenly divide the mixture among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with the cheese.
    Bake for 20 minutes or until the egg is set.
    Note: make these ahead of time and warm them in the microwave for a fast and slimming breakfast treat.

*** I found this recipe for 126 calories per "muffin" but I substituted chicken sausage and recalculated for 96 calories per. Here was my breakdown;

Calories 96
    Carbs 2
    Fat 5
    Protein 10
    Fiber 1
    Sodium 281
  • jesss5885
    Options
    This is one of my favs;

Ingredients

5 large eggs
    4 oz turkey sausage
    5 oz canned mushrooms
    1/4 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    2 oz shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese

Directions

Pre-heat the oven to 350 °F (175 °C). Coat a 6-cup non-stick muffin pan with cooking spray, or line with paper baking cups.
    In a medium non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, cook the sausage, pepper, and onion for 5 minutes or until the sausage is no longer pink.
    Spoon the mixture into a bowl and let cool slightly. Stir in the eggs and mushrooms.
    Evenly divide the mixture among the prepared muffin cups. Sprinkle with the cheese.
    Bake for 20 minutes or until the egg is set.
    Note: make these ahead of time and warm them in the microwave for a fast and slimming breakfast treat.

*** I found this recipe for 126 calories per "muffin" but I substituted chicken sausage and recalculated for 96 calories per. Here was my breakdown;

Calories 96
    Carbs 2
    Fat 5
    Protein 10
    Fiber 1
    Sodium 281

this is really great! i am going to make these this week - thank you!!
  • 75Juniper
    75Juniper Posts: 376
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • sla1252012
    sla1252012 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • livestar
    livestar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I pick up a sausage and egg white sandwich on toasted whole wheat every single day. I just drop one of the slices when I want to reduce the carbs.

It kills my coworkers, but whatever. I'm awesome. They have to deal.
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I often bring a hardboiled egg and some fruit with me. Other times I have oatmeal.... other times I have Jimmy Dean Breakfast Delites (variety of types).....