Selfish to exercise alone?

Options
2»

Replies

• FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have co-workers that want to go together. I explained that I'm on a running program right now, and it isn't safe to go from not running to jumping in when I'm almost at the end. They opted to just go without me, which is fine, because they are at the same level mostly, right now. They weren't mad. I do go with them sometimes, but usually just on a whim.

I honestly prefer there be somebody there who doesn't feel like we have to chat instead of beating pavement. I took a bad fall once and fortunately, a guy who runs in my area happened across me and helped me out. Sometimes he and I sync up running times, but aside from the fact that he likes running and his name's Tim, I don't know much about him. We just pop in our headphones and remind one another to hydrate and not kill ourselves. He's more experienced than me, so he often gets ahead, but we're on the same path, so if he gets to the end and I don't show up after a few minutes, he knows to come back and see if I'm alright and vice versa.

It's the same when I run with my boyfriend (except, I'm the experienced one than). We don't talk. We just go and be alone, but together... if that makes sense.
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comments above! It is not selfish at all!! I initially wanted a workout partner when I started my weight lose journey because in the past, I pushed myself harder when I had that element of competition but my workout partners started strong but eventually flaked & didn't seem as serious about the workouts as I was! It was so irritating because either they would slow me down or I would be left to workout alone anyway! So if you want to be by yourself, it is ok to have your time! :smile:
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I don't exercise with people. I'm serious about my workouts and I have heart rates and calorie goals.

"Exercising" with someone usually turns into chat/therapy time, which is a huge waste of time.
  • Bruinsmama
    Bruinsmama Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I workout alone, as others said it is "ME" time, but if my freinds ask me to walk the Bike Path with them I always go, becuase it is so much fun! Or my freind takes me to her Gym sometimes, also fun.
    Why limit yourself? DO IT ALL!!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • thebaconbeast
    thebaconbeast Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I always do cardio with a cardio buddy , preferably with more than one cardio buddy.
  • ToniSG
    ToniSG Posts: 12
    Options
    I am in the same boat. My neighbor has asked if she could walk with me, I told her yes, nicely (with regrets) but since then the weather has become really HOT-I live in the south (very hot and humid) so I have started working out in the gym at my work. I did let her know that we could possibly get together a couple evening during the week when it's cooler if she would like.

I see exactly where you're coming from-Working out is my ME time. I'm in my zone, concentrating not really wanting to have a conversation with anyone.
    Good Luck and I'm sure she will understand :-)
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I like my alone time too, but recently my bf has asked to go with me. I love him a lot but I love my alone time! So I said we could go together once a week and it can be our thing :-)
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Not at all selfish. I am the same way. I need to go when its convenient for me (sometimes 5 a.m., sometimes 9 p.m.) and I don't want to commit to someone elses schedule....even my children;. I would just tell my neighbor you are unsure of your schedule everyday and you have to exercise "on the fly." I also find other people slow me down (talking, etc.) and I don't work out as hard if someone is running with me or beside me at the gym.
  • rydn4h2o
    rydn4h2o Posts: 255
    Options
    I'm really happy to hear I'm not the only one. I like to get out by myself...it clears my head. I have a co-worker/neighbor who brings it up every now any then.
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Wig, sunglasses, trench coat. She'll never know it was you...
  • Dreamerryu27
    Dreamerryu27 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    No way dude! It's your time. Now that said if you do your workout and still have enough in ya to call her up for a 30 minute power walk DO IT Bonus workout for you and then she doesn't feel excluded ;-)
  • lillianelise
    lillianelise Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Not selfish. I like to be alone, too. I'd just be honest. She will probably understand.
  • ktrn0312
    ktrn0312 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It is definitely not selfish to exercise alone. Just be honest with your neighbor. She should understand .
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. When people ask to tag along on my walks, I let them know I go at a certain pace and have a specific route in mind and enjoy that time to free my mind. Sometimes I will ask for others to join me if I'm feeling in the mood to have company, and that way I can feel good about encouraging others to be active while not detracting too much from my own goals.

Your neighbor is probably reaching out for help to get started on walks, getting started on your own can be scary for some. Maybe let your neighbor know that your daily routine is your own, but that if you ever feel the need for company, you will be the one to reach out.
  • iLose2Gain
    iLose2Gain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have co-workers that want to go together. I explained that I'm on a running program right now, and it isn't safe to go from not running to jumping in when I'm almost at the end. They opted to just go without me, which is fine, because they are at the same level mostly, right now. They weren't mad. I do go with them sometimes, but usually just on a whim.

I honestly prefer there be somebody there who doesn't feel like we have to chat instead of beating pavement. I took a bad fall once and fortunately, a guy who runs in my area happened across me and helped me out. Sometimes he and I sync up running times, but aside from the fact that he likes running and his name's Tim, I don't know much about him. We just pop in our headphones and remind one another to hydrate and not kill ourselves. He's more experienced than me, so he often gets ahead, but we're on the same path, so if he gets to the end and I don't show up after a few minutes, he knows to come back and see if I'm alright and vice versa.

It's the same when I run with my boyfriend (except, I'm the experienced one than). We don't talk. We just go and be alone, but together... if that makes sense.

I agree with less talk more walk!! lol If I could find a workout partner like this, I would be more apt to get one!!
  • imcatbear
    imcatbear Posts: 38
    Options
    I like to work out w/o people now that I'm getting somewhere in my fitness. It's not rude to say no. Hurt feelings are a different matter and depends on how much you like your neighbor ;)

I also don't mind someone who needs me to go with them where they set the pace and I push them to go just a tiny bit harder/further. That said...talk to the neighbor, be honest that you don't want them there. If you are willing to go on a walk with them later, offer it and do it.
  • Vickiesings
    Options
    Thanks for all the great replys and advice. I am a very social person but there is something deep inside me right now that NEEDS to be able to pound the ground with my feet without any distractions. I was angry the other day and it felt so good to release that stress through exercise instead of eating my anger.
  • armishia
    armishia Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I enjoy exercising alone. It is my time to myself. Releasing all the day's work and stress off. Me and Pandora!!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. I run alone, I would NOT want anyone with me. I will walk with my bf or my kids but running is me time. And yes, keeping YOUR pace is important.
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    My daughter likes going to the gym with me. So... I do my normal routine ALONE at 4am, then go back for a light workout with her a few nights a week. We get the time in together, without robbing myself of my alone time in the morning. Tell her you love the alone time that you get but would be open to working out together a few times a week with her. You get two workouts in (which doesn't hurt) and continue with a good friendship.