For all the mommas: Post Baby?!?!?!

Options
Alrighty ladies, here's the deal. I was SUPER overweight, lost 123 lbs, got pregnant, and I'm in my 8th month and 40 lbs up...
I'm super worried about getting back into the routine after baby comes. What are any tips/suggestions you have?
At this point, I'm not planning on a C/S unless medically necessary. I have been walking about 2 miles 4-5xweek during my pregnancy, but stopped with the weights and high intensity for the past 6 months.... ugh. I'm just the most nervous about getting my body back, since I worked so hard pre-pregnancy. I do have a gym membership, but my hubs isn't taking much time off from work, so I'll have to leave baby at child care or something to get my workouts in.
Like I said, this is my first baby, I'm just fretting about the unknown already because I know I'll have alot of work to do (again.)
TIA!
Edit to add: It took me about 3 yrs to lose that weight pre-pregnancy, 2 of those years here on MFP....so I know once I get back in the groove, I should be ok...

Replies

• mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I would advise to not be too hard on yourself when baby comes. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time to heal and get into the baby routine.
    I didn't start really working out again until about 4 months pp this time (though I had a repeat csection and those suck!). I started easy and built back into my routine and now (my second baby is 11 months today) I actually weigh less than before my first pregnancy. Walking with the stroller is a great way to get things started.
    Since you already have a routine that works for you, I wouldn't stress too much. Add things back in slowly and enjoy your new baby :) They grow up so fast!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Having a baby is a HUGE adjustment in itself. Give yourself time to get used to each other, and get past the worst of the night wakings, before hitting it too hard. In the beginning short walks outside with baby in a sling or carrier are great for both of you! It staves off the cooped up crazies.

You've done amazing so far, and you will absolutely get where you want to be! Just remember it's about the journey, and most of all ENJOY your new baby!
  • Classyandra
    Classyandra Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Give yourself time to heal and time to rest! Your going to need all the sleep you can get. Nursing burns more calories, so make sure you are eating enough. I did exercises on my wii fit and videos while my daughter napped. It was easier than trying to make arrangements for the gym. Good Luck and enjoy your sweet baby, they grow way too fast!
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Definitely agree with the giving yourself time. You need to recoup and let your body re-adjust afterwards. I started by taking walks with the family, and then dove into the gym 2 months pp. It's still hard to get up and go to the gym after getting a restless night's sleep, but I find it much harder to wait until the end of the day. Make sure if you're nursing you get adequate water and extra calories. Good luck!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    It's not the pregnancy weight I struggled with, it was the post-baby snacking to stay awake and the clean plate club membership that forbade me tossing food my toddlers didn't finish....

Make sure you get enough sleep. Sleep when the baby sleeps. When someone offers help, make a specific ask for a healthy meal, a load of laundry, cleaning, or yardwork. REALLY. TAKE THEM UP ON OFFERS TO HELP.

You can do a lot of walking those first few weeks. Well, not the first week or two, but after that you can start walking. Babies sleep really well after a walk in the stroller. Build up. Meet other moms at the mall and walk. Take the baby to the library for story time and meet more moms.
  • ShilohMaier
    ShilohMaier Posts: 135
    Options
    Well, I'm finally losing my baby weight. Yeah, okay, my daughter is about to turn 3 years old. Took me a while. My problem was I got too lulled with the "Breast-feeding burns 500 extra calories a day" mantra. So... I actually weighed more after 1 year of nursing than I weighed at 9 months pregnant because I got careless with my diet thinking the nursing was surely going to make up the difference. And my daughter RARELY slept, so neither did I. They would say things like "your newborn will sleep around 18 hours a day..." mine slept about 9 hours a day max- no joke, that kid was always awake. One hour long nap in the middle of the day was all she'd do, plus 8 broken-up hours at night. She didn't even sleep through the night until she was 22 months old. I work full time outside the home- I was always too tired by the end of the day to do anything. It's scary- I lost 140 pounds before I got pregnant, and kept it off for years... I always thought I'd get right back on track, but here I am.

I'm sorry, that's not very inspiring is it? But I don't have a good support system at home- my husband would never watch our daughter so I could go to the gym, and the only time I had to go to the gym was after I got home from work and made dinner. They don't have child care available at my gym after 5:00 pm. If you have a support system and motivation, I'm sure you'll do just fine!
  • wisefish
    wisefish Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    WOW congrats on your weight loss!!

I just had 2nd baby 9 months ago and with BOTH I gained 55 lbs! I worked hard to lose it the first time so I know it's frustrating when it's not in your control. But focus on eating well, getting enough water, and REST!

Be patient with yourself- if you are breastfeeding, make sure to eat a well-balanced diet with enought calories but you don't have to overdo it. I thought I would lose the weight naturally and I didn't- that was frustrating.

Also, I realized I was using food as a comfort and 99% of the time I really just needed a nap!!! NOT food. LOL.

I didn't start exercising until 3 months PP. I would wait at least 6 weeks and start slowly and build back up. Your body has done amazing things that are all new to you-- so take that in and don't judge your appearance. Nurturing babies isn't something that's glamorous, it's as old as humankind. Good luck!!! ENJOY being a momma, it's really amazing...
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

Also, I realized I was using food as a comfort and 99% of the time I really just needed a nap!!! NOT food. LOL.

So, so true!!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I kind of know how you feel. Before my 3rd kid I got down to the lowest adult weight I'd ever been. 20lbs less than normal. My first 2 pregnancies I gained 25lbs. Yeah, the last I gained 45lbs. The extra 20lbs I had lost came back!

Post pregnancy is a scary, crazy emotional time. Even if you don't have postpartum, it's still rough on your emotions. You feel fat, you don't sleep, you have to worry about nursing (if you are doing that). It can be a bad time. Give yourself a full year to get back to normal. Be very very careful dieting while nursing and expect that you might not be able to diet until after you are done with nursing. Start back to exercise slowing and careful. You can do it, just be patient.
  • SGreen134
    SGreen134 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    You need to be kind and take care of yourself. Adjusting to a new baby is hard. When my first was born, I started walking two weeks after she was born. Nothing strenuous but just to get out, lift my spirits and get in some exercise. Drink plenty of water too!

Enjoy your time with your new baby and do what is right for you!!
  • SGreen134
    SGreen134 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    And congrats on your weight loss....awesome job!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Great you are keeping up on some exercise, and walking is soooo good for a pg lady:happy:

Stop worrying. I have had 5 babies, got over 200lbs (like probably 210lbs) during my last pregnancy (ugh, indeed!) At the time, I also wondered if I would ever be the same. But now I am getting fit and losing excess weight, and I love my body! Don't fret!! Just do what you are doing...some nice exercise, eat healthy foods, prepare for your birth, and holding a healthy baby in your arms. And nursing, and being a mommy, and and...

Your good habits WILL show up on your body. Be cheerful! Be happy! Enjoy! You will find a way to get in some exercise, but really, the focus now should just be to have some basic good habits, and on being mommy to a new baby and other children you have and on husband. Then a few months down the road you can begin to begin to fit in more exercise, such as some weight training like 3 days/week, and a little cardio (not too much high intensity--too harsh on the nervous system!).

Don't worry!!
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    So, 40 pounds up is pretty good, if you were close to "normal" weight when you got pregnant.

And since you've maintained activity and healthy eating, it won't be too hard to get back down,

A couple of tips I've learned from experience (I have 4 kids, my youngest is 9 months):
    -Give yourself time to recover, but don't forget to move. Especially with your first, there is a temptation to jump right back into things. But if you start exercising too soon, you can set back your recovery. Listen to the advice they give you in the hospital about physical activity. You can probably start walking a few weeks pp, but nothing too strenuous. Once you're cleared by the doctor (usually 4-6 weeks) you can start picking up the pace again.
    -Eat enough. Especially if you are breastfeeding (which I recommend). BF uses about 500 calories a day, you can log it in your food diary (it's listed as a food with negative calories). Make sure that the majority of your calories are nutrient dense. I wouldn't aim for a deficit/loss until 4-6 weeks pp, but you will probably be losing during that time anyway.
    -Drink lots of water. Again, if BF, you need lots more than usual. And drinking will also help you shed the water that we tend to retain at the end of pregnancy.
    -Be patient. Some moms drop weight off quickly after giving birth. Some take a bit longer. Some women get slim from breastfeeding, some hang onto extra fat like a squirrel storing nuts (I'm a nut storer, but the benefits of BF, IMO, far outweigh the fact that I'm still fighting to lose weight that "should" have come off months ago)

And, most of all, enjoy your new baby! Your body is doing what it is meant to do, and really, the little one you will have is far more important than a few extra pounds. Keep doing what you've been doing, focus on being healthy, and CONGRATS on your little one!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Just be good to yourself. Sleep as much as you can. If you have lots of people offering to help you -- ask them to bring you fresh produce or watch the baby for a couple hours for you to run out to the store. Prepare some healthy meals now and freeze them -- so you aren't relaying on take out or lots of "easy" processed foods.

I had a vaginal birth and was pretty much back in action after a week. I attribute that to resting pretty much the first week. I did no chores of any type -- I laid in bed or out on couch and fed my baby (I didn't nurse). After about a week, I eased back into chores. Two weeks after, I went back to work (I could take my baby with me) and did short walks. After a month -- pretty much back to normal weight -- I gained 20ish pounds (I was sick a whole lot).

You will be surprised how quickly the weight comes off if you just rest and do you best to eat healthy.

Good luck and congratulations!
  • leenabeana1
    Options
    I'm a new mommy too, even though this is my second and last baby. With my son I was 165 lbs when I became pregnant I gained 76lbs with him:( granted he was just under 10lbs himself! But then I knew we would want another baby pretty close to him so I didn't diet or exercise, big mistake!! I never lost my baby weight, I got down to 180ish when 3 years later I got pregnant again, with my daughter, my last baby I gained 40lbs with her. Now I breastfeed my son for 3 months and I'm positive that's the only reason I lost any weight or inches with him. With my daughter I could only breastfeed her 2 wks:( I got sick and had to stop and when I went back to trying I wasn't producing enough milk. I knew I was done having kids after we got our boy and girl so I was fixed. About 3 wks after having her I decided I wasn't going to be the fat mom with two koda sitting around doing nothing. I heard about MFP in a magazine about 3 weeks ago and said I would join and see what became of it. When I started my goal wright was pre baby 1, 165, well then I realized that wasn't very healthy either. I set my goal for 140! So I have to lose 52 lbs to reach my goal!!Yikes, I'm on a 1300 calorie a day diet, I eat what I want 80/20 really. And exercise 6 days a wk anywhere from 30-120 min. Depending on time. I've been doing this for 18 days now and am down 10.3lbs and 10 inches! Makes my goal seem closer:) My advise to you is be patient, let your body heal, and when you are ready set your goal to your pre pregnancy weight when you reach that then set another goal and keep hoping from there. You did it once and you know what works for your body. It takes a little more hard work but it can be done. I'm not there yet, but trying everyday makes it with reach. I love my kids and would do anything for them, but I have to be happy with myself first and that's my real goal-happiness.