The things I hate about working in an office building

Options

Replies

• stephanieb72
    stephanieb72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Completely GROSS... in the LADIES bathroom at my office somebody feels the need to pick their nose and then wipe the NASTY boogers on the stall door. I am gagging as I type this!!! WTF is wrong with you??? There is toilet paper 1 foot away. You know after they do this they touch the latch on the stall door to get out..... ugh!!!!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I'm stuck listening to a speakerphone conversation right now!

We'll get four or five people each in theor own office, with the doors open, on the same conference call, on speaker phone, which then creates an AWESOME echo...echo...echo..echo...echo.

We used to have a guy who would get calls form his kids. He'd yell at them in this loud yelling whisper. Look, dude, if your kid wants to make waffles for dinner because you, as a parent, failed to have healthier stuff in the house, that's on you, pal... Don't bring it into the office.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I only work with ONE other person and I can come up with a list 3x this long.

How about clean the bathroom once in a while? Just because he is a man and works with a woman does not mean I am HIS wife or his mother. I have my own man to clean up after and your crap stains are not my priority.

Oh, mommy didn't teach you to cover things in the microwave? Nice, spaghetti sauce has been all over the interior for a month now. I think it's starting to change colors.

The refrigerator keeps food chilled. It does not clean up after you either. If something spills inside, it does not evaporate like liquids do outside.

Our office space is about 1,000 square feet. 3 small rooms. We have four trashcans. Five, if you want to be technical and count the two that are stacked inside of each other. Counter tops, and the floor surrounding the trashcan does not count.

I was nice enough to buy us a coffee maker AND coffee (the 180 cups size- HUGE!) sugar, dish soap and sponges. My one request? Dump the undrank coffee each night after you leave (he stays two hours after I do) and we can make fresh coffee in the morning. The dish soap is not an office paper weight. It accompanies the request of cleaning it out each night. Ok, ok. We don't have to clean out the coffee pot with soap each night, but at least rinse it. I get grossed out when things float in the pot!

My man at home is spoiled. Men get the good end of the deal in a marriage LOL
  • journalistjen
    journalistjen Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Gotta love a private office.
  • CanuckLove
    CanuckLove Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Bahahaha I'm loving that I'm not the only one that hates everyone around me ;) jk.. Seriously though, the people that walk to work and then take off their gross disgusting shoes and leave them at their desk for the office to enjoy should be shot. That is all.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    yeah. stealing the food thing is really annoying. i mean, someone went into a paper bag i had in the fridge w/ my food in it, took my apple and closed the bag back up. thank goodness i have a mini-fridge in my office now.

OH and probably just as bad, when people leave food in the fridge for MONTHS and it starts to smell like death in the entire hallway by the kitchen b/c there's a science project growing in the fridge. *gag*

If that were me, it wouldn't last that long, I would have trashed it.
  • jedibunny
    jedibunny Posts: 321
    Options
    Our total company size is... small. It was a startup 6 years ago and it's doing very well, but number of employees including offsite/remote is less than 100. Because of this, the office space that they rented is... small. Too small even for the small number of employees we have, and we're growing. As a new FT manager-level employee I was seated in a row of cubicles in a space with no windows and which is populated with (mostly) temp/co-op workers. They're lovely people, but seriously, for what my job is supposed to be I really should have a desk of my own... and perhaps a phone line.

Maybe a window...

Maybe not be sitting directly next to the community water cooler...

>.<

And to the person who said the worst thing about working in an office building was having to sit behind a PC all day, AGREED! I find myself getting up to go outside more times than I can count because staring at the screen (even though I'm in data management and should be used to it by now) is driving me crazy.

Maybe if I had a window.

Oh, and I do give away a lot of gum, but that's because I tend to offer it.

p.s. IT'S FREEZING IN HERE!
  • davepavone
    davepavone Posts: 42
    Options
    1) Public rest rooms - A) If you sprinkle when you tinkle please be neat and wipe the seat - learn it, love it, live it people. B) an automatic flusher isn't a guarantee that everything goes down, do the double check.

2) when there are 2 microwaves on a floor of about 50 - 75 people why would you abandon your lunch in one of them at 1230? If you set it for a minute, be there to retrieve it in a minute.

3) why are you sitting at your desk in a cubical space with 15 people in ear shot on speaker phone? pick up the receiver, I don't want to hear your phone call.

4) my cell phone ringer used to be "Big Pimpin" and now it's "I'm Elmo and I Know It" but my coworker's don't know that because I know how to use the little switch to turn off the volume and on the vibrate . . . you don't know mine, I shouldn't know yours.

5) ear phones people, I don't make you listen to my techno and dance dance *kitten* please don't make me listen to your elevator jazz.

sounds like your having one of those days

1. yea agree (pee like pa not like sis lift the seat before you
    2. set the food aside like in the fridge
    3. add to the phone call nice and loud
    4.vibrate ---no commit
    5 music is the spice of life learn it, love it, live it :-)
    cant we all just get along eat a rib then maybe some ice cream really
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I'm so thankful I have my own office!! LOL. I can just shut the door.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My all time favorite is the clearing the nose and throat and then spitting into the trash can. It really makes me gag and I can't stand it. My boss and his son both do it and despite my repeated requests to find somewhere else to do it.

Also my boss thinks its funny to let any customer or their child and delivery drivers to come in and use my bathroom. I am the only female in the office so I have my own bathroom. Now I do not mind letting the elderly or small children (if the parents go with them) or even other women to use my bathroom. I DO have a problem with grown men and the delivery drivers there is a perfectly good mens bathroom they could use they always leave the toilet seat up too I have to deal with that at home I do not need it here.
  • MikMont
    MikMont Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The frigid temps. it's summer not hell turn that ish down

I'm actually running a heater at my desk right now because our office is so freezing cold. It's ridiculous!

Agreed! I can't feel my fingers right now...
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I work in a smallish office and there are regular wars about the temperature in the office, people stealling other peoples food, people being too afraid to throw anything out of date out so it lives in the fridge until the stench gets so bad some brave sole has investigate, people cooking stinky food, office narks, and the so called lady that leaves the toilet looking like a scene straight out of Saving Private Ryan when TOM is visiting :sick:
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    My favorite is when someone just COMES right in your office and then proceeds to come AROUND your desk to talk to you, just HAPPENING to glance at your computer screen. Yeah, its TOTALLY your business...COME ON OVER! :mad:

Everytime!! Funny too because there is a whole lotta space in front of my desk but I guess invading my personal bubble is more fun LOL!
  • sbarbry
    sbarbry Posts: 38
    Options
    Same here! I keep a space heater under my desk...smh
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    people who bang into the cubicle wall and act like it's not a problem

the office politics

company fridge where some people think they can store EVERYTHING they own!

People who steal chocolate when someone's selling it at the coffee station
  • sbarbry
    sbarbry Posts: 38
    Options
    The frigid temps. it's summer not hell turn that ish down

I'm actually running a heater at my desk right now because our office is so freezing cold. It's ridiculous!

Agreed! I can't feel my fingers right now...

Same here! I keep a space heater under my desk...smh
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    yeah. stealing the food thing is really annoying. i mean, someone went into a paper bag i had in the fridge w/ my food in it, took my apple and closed the bag back up. thank goodness i have a mini-fridge in my office now.

OH and probably just as bad, when people leave food in the fridge for MONTHS and it starts to smell like death in the entire hallway by the kitchen b/c there's a science project growing in the fridge. *gag*

If that were me, it wouldn't last that long, I would have trashed it.
    i don't know what's in there that smells. i haven't actually opened in the fridge in months cuz i have a fridge in my office. but i go in there for water cooler.
  • acerz
    acerz Posts: 18
    Options
    ROFLLLL
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Ive got one boss that will clip his finger nails or cough stuff up into the trash can. Loudly. He also has this Santa/Disney evil villian laugh. And dont get me started on when he talks about breastfeeding.

I believe that speaker phone was an invention by the devil. I hate it.

Oh and if I have my headphones in, dont just start talking to me like I can hear you. Clearly, I dont want to hear you.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I will just speak to the people in my department:

Person A) has bluetooth headset on and walks around department having LOUD conversations with whoever. She also uses the dial by name directory but does not speak clearly enough so she has to repeat herself a dozen times..... leaves her phone on speaker when she is dialing, and only switches over to headset when the person answers (WHY?? is the ringing in your head too annoying, oh by all means subject the rest of the department to it.....

Person B) Does his personal grooming every Monday at his desk..... ewwww.. jumps into every conversation, whether he adds value or not.. sets up large print jobs on printer, but then does not fill trays and walks away.. so if I go to print a one page document, I have to keep feeding trays until his job ends to get mine.

Person C) Morbidly obese person who eats at his desk all day, smacks his lips, slurps his coffee and spills stuff on his clothes..... loads fridge with healthy foods his wife must pack for him, but never eats them.. just takes up space.. then I toss it when I get fed up or it starts to turn colors. , he just goes to cafeteria and eats three breakfast sandwiches at hisdesk (RIGHT NEXT TO MY CUBE) for morning, then he mooches off meeting trays all day.. then eats two lunches........and I have to put my headphones in just to drown out the lip smacking, mmmm,, ahhhh noises..... my list could go on and on....