New here - how to keep the long term motivation?

Options
Hello all. I've lost a few pounds since re-starting my focus on fitness, mostly due to focusing on what I'm putting in my mouth and getting back to exercising (I'm out of the habit, after a bad ankle injury then having a kid!), but what I really want to learn is how to KEEP that focus. I say re-starting, because I've been down this road once before. I did pretty well a few years ago, lost 40+ lbs but eventually got injured, lost my exercise partners, had a kid, etc. - all the stuff that kills focus and motivation.

I'm new to mfp, but already loving it. The tools make everything so much easier than the last time I tried to lose weight. I was counting calories, by hand, and entering in a paper ledger. Ugh.

For those of you who've stuck with it for weeks, months, or years - how do you keep yourself motivated to keep up with the "paperwork" of counting calories, etc.? I assume some of you have just reshaped your habits, which is great, but given my love of fine food and ale and wine, I know I need to keep my goals firmly in mind, lest I blow any progress I've made.

Does having friends with similar goals make it easier? How do YOU stay motivated?

Thanks.

Replies

• mom2fabfive
    mom2fabfive Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have been here since March and have lost 24 lbs. Surrounding myself with supportive people has been the key for me. I know that I can't do it alone and that the support I get here keeps me on track. I know that it isn't a diet but rather a lifestyle change. I still indulge once in awhile, just not every day like I used to! : ) Wishing you much success on your road to a healthier you!
  • Lorikae
    Lorikae Posts: 8
    Options
    I second the response above. Having even one person supporting you, whether it's through exercising with you or giving you a look of disappointment if you eat the wrong thing or don't go for the jog you said you would.
    Having people around me who know what I want to achieve certainly helps me keep focused because I know if I stop then I will somehow feel more guilty and disappointed in myself.

AND the thought of how I will feel in a week, let alone a month, if I keep going.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to have other goals besides just weight loss, typically exercise or sports or something. That way when things don't go the way they are supposed to, then you have something else to focus on for awhile. It also sets you up with good habits in the long term.

Also, while MFP friends are great, I think it's important to have friends in real life that have similar goals or lifestyles.
  • KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON
    KIMBAILEYWILLIAMSON Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP since first of January and just this past week got burnt out, took a 5 day vacation and splurged (it was good but also felt guilty thank goodness only put on 1 lb but I usually do that over weekends and then end up losing it the next week) but thanks for the support of some friends on here it helped me get back serious about watching what I eat and do my exercising. So for me the support I get on here has helped me with the long term motivation, I thought I was the motivation just burnt out but thank goodness only for 5 days.
  • 20stac10
    20stac10 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    I've lost 30 lbs. so far with MFP and exercise so far and every time I feel like grabbing something un-healthy to eat, I drink a lot of water and I start looking at the before and after pictures here instead. It is so motivating!! Then, as you progressively lose weight, the changes that you notice in your body and the way your clothes fit keep you motivated as well. At least it does for me! Good luck! You can do it!!
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I’ll give you some motivation! If you don’t focus on proper eating and exercise now, you will end up a fat, old geezer like me, with a myriad of medical problems, i.e.: Type 2 Diabetic, high blood pressure, hypertension, high cholesterol, Atrial Fibrillation, Sleep Apnea, fake knee from being too fat - for starters (but I’m getting better). It will be a lot easier at your age that at mine, so I applaud you for starting. I changed my life style (with a few bumps along the way), junk food to natural, unprocessed food; started walking somewhat regularly, and just recently joined a gym and started with a personal trainer.

I have several direct relatives that died in their 40’s My Mom for one), and several that lived an active life in their 90’s. I want to be in the later group and be healthy, alert and 90, so I can have another 25 years or so to enjoy my family. The Bride just retired and we just got back from a few weeks in Europe, and we spent the 4th of July with my grandsons. I don’t want to give that up!!!!

As far as getting used to logging, I found that, if I don’t log EVERYTHING, I slip back into the same old crap. My motivation for logging is to stay within the dietary limits set my cardiologist (calories, fat, sodium, cholesterol, carbs) and it is the only way I can do so. I proved that much to myself. I log everything I plan to have early in the morning, so I have everything planned out, no surprises. I make adjustments as needed, if I decide to have an extra drink or a desert.

Good luck, keep living for your family!