This is so silly...

Options
LPS1986
LPS1986 Posts: 104
What are people's experiences around long-distance relationships and getting to know each other by way of online dating? I "met" a guy online who lives about 6 hours away. It seems we could hit it off but I am not sure whether or not to be open about it.

Replies

• catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Let him drive to you. That way in case he's a jerk he's the one will all the extra miles on his car.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Let him drive to you. That way in case he's a jerk he's the one will all the extra miles on his car.

LOL!!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I met my Husband online....he was in Toronto at the time, being Canadian an all, and I was on a tiny island just off the south coast of England.......

whole big Atlantic and 5 hours time difference...massive phone bills...pre dated skype really, one year of talking, emailing and one plane ticket later, he decided he was going to sell up and move here........9 years and counting.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options

yup...this happened to me before....thank goodness it was dark and he didn't get a great view of where i lived....lol
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I met my Husband online....he was in Toronto at the time, being Canadian an all, and I was on a tiny island just off the south coast of England.......

whole big Atlantic and 5 hours time difference...massive phone bills...pre dated skype really, one year of talking, emailing and one plane ticket later, he decided he was going to sell up and move here........9 years and counting.

I had a dream girl where I was in this situation. she was in Edinburgh. Things fell apart once school started up again and she wasn't willing to put in the effort.

She was the best girl I had met so far...
  • ediesmommy
    ediesmommy Posts: 76
    Options

Same here... 12 years and counting for us. I wouldn't change a thing...
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    In my experience, they don't work. But if you think it's something you can make happen then go for it. It's not like you have anything to lose if it doesn't work out, right? Better than never knowing.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

I had the same thing, pre-skype etc. But mine didn't work out so happily. HOWEVER, it is 7 years later and much easier to communicate and we're getting back together as soon as I can get out to the states.

It can work if you want it to. Distance is hard, but finding someone perfect for you in a three mile radius of your house is even harder ;)
  • minussam
    minussam Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I met my husband in February while being an international student at his university. We moved together in May for the summer and I left in July to go back to Europe. He stayed in the US to finish up school.
    This was 10 years ago, we're married and have a son.
    While it's not the same situation as yours, it shows that sometimes it's worth to take the risk (but be safe and smart about it!)
    Good luck!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I don't consider 6 hours to be long-distance. My husband lived in Macon, GA and I live in Buffalo, NY when we met. I live 8 hours from my family and have for more than 10 years. So, anything that takes less than a day to drive--I don't consider long-distance.

With that said, I would let him do the driving at first (not only for financial reasons, but also for safety reasons). Let him meet you for dinner in a location where you feel safe. If it's really meant to be, that distance won't matter at all.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i met my husband online - he lived in seattle and i was in utah. pre-skype as well. he came to visit me for a week and i spent a couple weeks in seattle before i decided to move up with him. we've been together for 9 years, married for 7... best thing that ever happened to me :)
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I don't have experience with dating, but I met my three best friends online. They live 6500 miles away and I'm going to see them this November... So, my advice? Meet somewhere public, and then see where it goes from there. I like the idea of him driving to your town instead. :)
  • NessaTesla
    NessaTesla Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There are over 7 billion people on earth. It seems pretty reasonable that your true love doesn't live in your town.
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options

That's just awesome...
    I was talking to a guy in England... for almost 2 years. We met thru POF.
    I said something a few time about us meeting.. and seemed to always get the blow off...
    Then a few weeks ago I laid it on the line... and basically begged.
    And his response was... "Our relationship must come to an end"....
    Well... hell.. I didn't know we had a relationship. I thought we were just flirty friends.
    Needless to say... I haven't heard from him since. So disappointed. ;( *kitten*.

You never really know the TRUTH... when you are having that long distance thing going.
    So obviously for my situation.. something was deceiving.. or amiss.

I have heard of more than one instance of that working out... and had hoped it would for me as well.
    But NO....

Best of luck to ya though!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I crossed the North Sea to be with the girl I met online.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Long story short, I met my boyfriend online. We've been together for three years now. We've visited each other about twelve times over the years, and we're finally moving in together this month. Try it out. :)
  • Jesea
    Jesea Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I met my husband online...we've been together for almost 12 years, married for 9. But he was only 45 minutes away so I'm not sure how the distance thing would have worked.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Oh the thing that did it for me, when I knew...

I was having quite a serious operation, was in hospital 9 days, he sent me the biggest, most beautiful bouquet of ivory roses, it was a SERIOUS bouquet, of fifty roses, when the nurse brought it into the room she said 'WOW! somebody loves you!' and he rang me from Canada EVERY day, one day the Nurse came in with my pain meds and said to me, he has the MOST gorgeous deep sexy voice, next time he rings I am going to say to him, don't talk to her, talk to me...lol he worked out that in the time I was in hospital he was on the phone to me for 72 hours...........

SEVENTY TWO HOURS.....
  • Package02
    Package02 Posts: 97
    Options
    In my experience, they don't work. But if you think it's something you can make happen then go for it. It's not like you have anything to lose if it doesn't work out, right? Better than never knowing.

^^This 100%. I think one of the worst things in life is to be left wondering "what if". You don't want to be single a year, two years, three years from now, or whatever it is, and sitting there thinking "what if". Take a leap of faith and go for it. I'm not gonna lie, it's not easy. The last girl I fell for was a LD relationship and the distance does suck. It's hard not being able to see that person every day when you want to or after having a long day at work or a stressful day at school. It sucks, not going to lie about that, but it can also be one of the most amazing experiences of your life. The girl I met was an amazing woman that changed my life in so many ways, more ways than she even knows, and even though it didn't work out (not because of the distance) I don't regret it one bit. So in my opinion, give it a shot and go for it :smile: What do you have to lose