So...how do I start?

Options
Anyone have any recommendatiobs on how to begin a weight loss journey? Is joining a gym highly recommended? Should I get a pedometer, or any other equipment like that? What's the best diet for me to use in order to lose about 30-70 pounds and tone up? Should I try an insanity like approach? Lol, I have my questions..anything would help! Thanks!

Replies

• Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I'd totally say: keep it simple. Log what you eat and try to be "good" to begin with, you can add "bad" stuff in later if you want to :wink: Eat less than you use, but slightly more than it takes to "run" your body.

Would recommend a heart rate monitor, love mine and it's handy. You can get pedometers built in.

If you have the money, join the gym, if you don't don't :bigsmile: You can get some great workouts for home: like insanity, turbofire, 30 day shred and others. Or jogging/walking is always free save for the equipment you need!

Totally check this post out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 :)

Feel free to add me if you need more support! :)
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I joined the gym and i do 40 minutes of Treadmill on 12 incline @ 3.5mph(503 calories burn) and 100 crunches everyday.I've lost about 45lbs in less than 4 months.I tried 30 day shred but,medical restrictions won't allow no crazy exercise so, i just stick to treadmill.I eat healthy and that's about all for me.....Welcome to MFP!It will change your life:flowerforyou:
  • superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The biggest first step for me was counting calories, and not exceding a limited number of calories. Then I added in exercise. I started with Insanity and running. Probably not the most recommended combination but it's what works for me. If you have the time and can afford a gym go for it. Just get moving!
  • LindaCWy
    LindaCWy Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    :smile: I wouldn't jump into ALL that all at once. Find a form of exercise you enjoy and do it. When you are ready to move up, then try something newer and more difficult.

As for diet...don't do a diet, change your current diet. Eat well + move well= lose all the weights.

There is soo much information out there, do your research and find what works best for you to do this long term.

Good luck!
  • Lillouns
    Lillouns Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I would start by kind of what you already did.. make your goals! Write them down. Figure out how many calories your body needs and how often you plan on working out. Don't starve your body! MFP is pretty good at showing the calories you need. I would say no gym is absolutely needed. If joining is what gets you motivated to workout and eat healthy, do it! Otherwise, do something you love!
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    As the above poster mentioned...start by logging calories to see what you are eating and how you could improve. Start working out either with cardio or strength training or both (you tube has great videos you can watch to learn about the different machines and exercises you can do with the correct form)
    Also drink more water!!
    Small steps is the key!
  • lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Step one: Take one day at a time
    Step two: Log your food!
    Step three: Make friends to support you (feel free to add me)
    Step four: be active

You will need to figure out what works best for you.... but don't try to do too much at once, because you will set yourself up for failure.

Good luck! We are here for you!
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!

I started simply with counting calories and walking/riding bikes (30 mins to an hour/day). When my calorie counting journey first began, I was good with whatever as long as it fit into my budget. I quickly learned I had to make better choices in order to eat enough and feel full within that budget. As time passed/passes I progressively make better choices. My eating is perfect, nor will it ever be, but has been cleaned up by leaps and bounds! For the first year, I focused only on cardio.....I just wanted the fat gone! Looking back, I wish I would've started my strength/cardio all together, but either way, I have had the success I had hoped for. Just gotta work on that toning!

And I LOVE my Runkeeper app on my phone to track my cardio!

Everyone is different and it's definitely a learning process. Good Luck! :happy:
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different preferences but this is how I started:
    1- Figured out how much I need to lose and what my long term/short term goals are
    2- Researched what kind of foods I should/shouldn't be eating. Basically cut out processed and junk foods and threw in more veggies and fruits and protein.
    3- Committed to regular exercise- 30 Day Shred, P90x, Running, etc. (No gym)
    4- Try my hardest to keep positive and patient.

My advice to you would be to keep it simple and easy to manage. Commit to it but don't beat yourself up when you mess up.

Good luck!
  • Ajmead
    Ajmead Posts: 56
    Options
    Hi, take one day at a time. I started with this app and followed my cal count, then I joined a small gym and worked out every day for around 45 mins. I also purchased a Fitbit , I started this journey in January of this year and have dropped down two dress sizes and lost 22 lb and feel amazing. Feel free to add me . :)
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    There is no perfect formula. You have to find out what works for you. What will work in your life? I don't have the discipline to go to a gym by myself so that didn't work for me. I also don't like doing generic DVDs - I have quite a few injuries so many of the moves on the DVDs I just can't do unless I want to hurt myself. I do dance classes and have a personal trainer instead. That's what works for me but may not work for you.

As for equipment, I invested in a good food scale (about $25) that measures both grams and ounces, a heart rate monitor (costs range from $50 up), and some weights (I have ankle weights and dumbbells).

Diets don't work. You have to figure out how to eat and be satisfied so you can do this forever. I realized that there are things I will never give up (like sweets) so I've learned how to incorporate them in moderation into my calorie goals and plan better. You have to be honest with your self about what you can and can't live without so you can make your own eating plan. You're going to get a lot of advice but remember that this is your life and you have to figure out what will work to help you reach your goals and be happy at the same time!
  • jaeysson
    jaeysson Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Weight loss in my opinion is probably 80% diet and 20% exercise. I'd start simple by setting up your diary and getting your goals set. I'd then start tracking my food. You don't have to exercise to lose weight, but the extra muscle gained from weight lifting helps you burn more calories throughout the day and doing cardio burns calories so that you can eat more.

Good luck on obtaining your goal!
  • rebeccasedwards
    Options
    I started with portion control and eating more healthy selections. I started walking and now can run some. I do use my elliptical that I bought.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    The fundamentals of any weight related question centers around diet, first and foremost.

What you decide what you eat is entirely up to you. Most people would recommend cooking your own food as you get to control what goes into it. Otherwise, you choose alternative foods that will help you get to your goal. There is no solid "diet plan" for everyone, so you choose what fits your needs. If it works, great. If it doesn't, you get many chances to modify it. Without going to the extreme, the less calories you put into your body, you will lose weight.

Exercise is good for overall health. While you can lose weight with diet alone, in order to reap the benefits of complete total health, being physically active keeps your body and mind running smoothly.

Just like there's no solid diet plan, there's no solid type of activity. You do what works for you. If it keeps you active and feeling better, then stick with it.
  • ckay220
    ckay220 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Thank you all soooo much! I will definitely take everything into consideration! :)
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    My mantra now that I have experienced a large portion of my weight loss journey is Just Begin and Keep Beginning Each Day. Do not get bogged down in the details of this approach or that approach. Do not try to make any major dietary adjustments at the outset. Do not try to get into any particular frame of mind. Rather than creating a weight loss plan, discover it as you go along. Try to keep some fundamentals in mind though. What you eat does matter more than what type or how much exercise and food is fuel. Good food fuels you more than bad food. More calories out than in per week means weight loss not gained. More than any of this just begin doing something today, then again tomorrow and the next day. Once you begin never ever look back and never doubt that beginning is better than doing nothing no matter how slow the progress seems.
  • kati37
    kati37 Posts: 61
    Options
    Once you have set your goals! Be sure to log what you eat consistently so you can see what you need to take out of your diet. Learning to eat right is a process that you have to get used to mentaly and physicaly. I have had the best success when I am not eating proccessed foods, sugars or drinking soda.

As far as exercise you should exercise daily it will help you burn calories and build muscles to avoid excess skin when you meet your goal. Your exercise should only be with in your medical limits. A personal trainer is a great way to go if you have limitations. They often have ways to modify exercises even the ones in programs like P90X.

Look up a lady named Victoria Barclay on here. She is fantastic!! She is a beach body coach and she uses all the products and is very familiar with working out with injury or limitations. One of the best things is she doesn't care if you use the products from BB or not she just wants to help.

Feel free to add me as well!! Good luck to you!
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    :smile: I wouldn't jump into ALL that all at once. Find a form of exercise you enjoy and do it. When you are ready to move up, then try something newer and more difficult.

As for diet...don't do a diet, change your current diet. Eat well + move well= lose all the weights.

There is soo much information out there, do your research and find what works best for you to do this long term.

Good luck!

THIS!
  • kathrynelizabeth98
    Options
    For most people this is a bad idea but as a last resort this is what I've been doing. If anyone's ever tried the ABC diet you'll know it WORKS. It they pounds shed off so fast and if by the end you haven't reached your goal, do it over again. The hardest part is always keeping the pounds off, but as long at your body adjusts to a smaller calorie intake and you don't binge when its over, you will be surprised with the results. :)