Cottage cheese

Options
jennylea16
jennylea16 Posts: 97 Member
I haven't had this in a long time, I didn't like it last time I tried it but I want to try it again. Any suggestions to ease me into it? Mix-ins etc? Thanks.

Jen

Replies

• patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese best with fresh strawberries or pineapples. The reason for this is I can't take the acid in those fruits straight up, but mixed with Cottage cheese the acid is cut/coated so it does not eat up my mouth.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I like my CT savoury. I add chopped garlic, chilli peppers, onion and bell peppers and have it on Ryvitas.
    Another way is to make a spread out of it. I'll add some seasoning's (cumin, chilli flakes, garlic, oregano, mint etc) and then mash the CT down until it's like a paste.
  • eatgood58
    eatgood58 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like mine with some pineapple chunks, or raspberries, or blueberries.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I love Cottage Cheese, my favorite is having it with a pound of pepper on it-- so delish!
  • jennylea16
    jennylea16 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!
  • daisymaegreen
    daisymaegreen Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    i love mine with pears! yummm. sometimes i'll just put ground pepper on it.
  • tkbronico
    tkbronico Posts: 58
    Options
    We like ours with applesauce. I think I might have to try some of the other ideas given too. Good luck!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Pineapple
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    There was a recent thread on cottage cheese that had tons of good ideas on it. If you search for cottage cheese, you should be able to pull it up.
  • emmabrackpool
    emmabrackpool Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    when I was doing Slimming World they had a fab recipie for quich - cant remember it exactly sorry but now ive remembered how yummy it was i will find out and get back to you - from what I can remember you mix cottage cheese with eggs add in your mushrooms/peppers or whatever you fancy and bake in the oven
  • Colofit
    Colofit Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I'm From Amarica and LOVE the cottage cheese there but now live in England and it tastes completely different here!! I still like it but not as much (it is sort of sour here). Its the first thing I buy to eat when I go back home! Love it with beets...and lots of other ways!!! Yummy on rivita crackers with pepper too (others have said that) ...happy eating!!!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I like to add black pepper and cayenne pepper, then dip chips in it.
  • RainaWalks
    RainaWalks Posts: 72
    Options
    i used to mix in honey....that was not too bad...
    i don't eat it any more...
  • Coco_UK
    Coco_UK Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like mine with my salad or with ham or on crackers or as a side with anything else... Yummm!
  • jutymo
    jutymo Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Another thread on cottage cheese quiche that is wonderful! 2 cups cottage cheese, 2 eggs + whatever you'd like in quiche. Bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes.

I just made it with crab, almonds, green onion, and topped with mozzarella cheese. It's really, really good and you'd never guess it's cottage cheese based.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    1 cup fat free plain greek yogurt (recommend: fage 0%)
    1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese
    minced onion
    onion powder
    garlic powder
    dill
    salt
    frank's hot sauce
    fresh ground pepper
    healthiest buffalo ranch dip - great for veggies, chicken, and tuna fish.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I love cottage cheese and could eat it by itself. My favorites are with fruit and honey; and there was a spread I used to make with corn, salt, ground pepper and tuna and it was heavenly. You could add any vegetable you like or have on hand too!

Note: If the texture bothers you, work it just a little in a food processor, it will be creamy like cream cheese.
  • bridgetpesce
    Options
    Spicy, chunky salsa. And (it sounds gross but is sooo delicous), when I was pregnant I got hooked on adding some crushed baked BBQ chips to it for some crunch. Amazing!
  • emmabrackpool
    emmabrackpool Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Another thread on cottage cheese quiche that is wonderful! 2 cups cottage cheese, 2 eggs + whatever you'd like in quiche. Bake at 350 for about 30-40 minutes.

I just made it with crab, almonds, green onion, and topped with mozzarella cheese. It's really, really good and you'd never guess it's cottage cheese based.

Thanks for the recipe - I haven't made it for years and had forgotten quantities, timings etc - guess what's for dinner tonight? !!
  • Hollyana
    Hollyana Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm From Amarica and LOVE the cottage cheese there but now live in England and it tastes completely different here!! I still like it but not as much (it is sort of sour here). Its the first thing I buy to eat when I go back home! Love it with beets...and lots of other ways!!! Yummy on rivita crackers with pepper too (others have said that) ...happy eating!!!

If you can, try and find a UK brand called Longley Farm - it has a little cow on the front of a white tub. It's so different to the watery stuff you get in supermarkets - more solid, creamy, and much tastier! I think some supermarkets have it but more often I see it in health food shops.