Yoga....

Options
I have been having some hip problems and I went to my DR who suggested I do some yoga to help stretch out my hip ( and rest of body)

what is a good yoga DVD....

Replies

• yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    I would start with a class with an experienced teacher, to make sure you do not make it worse. Then you can try some dvds or podcasts.
  • kendrart
    kendrart Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Seconded - go to at least a couple actual classes so you can get a feel for correct form - doing things incorrectly or with poor form can easily cause injury.

If you're worried about the cost, most community centres are offering yoga classes these days, their costs are significantly less than at a yoga studio.
  • Raw07
    Raw07 Posts: 206
    Options
    I think i should find a class too, im not worried about cost just the closest "big" town to me is 45 minutes away
  • kendrart
    kendrart Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I totally get that would feel like a pain - but I know if you do go to a couple classes, and /then/ start using DVD's you'll be really glad you did!

As far as DVD's go - Rodney Yee with Gaiam Yoga has loads out, he's really great. He also tends to move very fast and his beginner videos aren't always quite beginner, so take it easy. The ones I adore are the Kundalini yoga videos with Maya Fiennes - hers are great! She's very likable.

The most important thing to remember is what every teacher will say in every class, to "listen to your body". If it's going too fast, take a break. If you feel pain, stop or adjust. Know the difference between discomfort, and pain. You don't need to do every pose in every video. Something is better than nothing, and you will get stronger and more flexible with time.

Have fun!