Attn: Ladies who want to lose 2lbs a week....

Options
I was reading a topic about how many calories ladies eat per day and got confused because the numbers were 1500-2100.

I want to lose weight fast since its summer so I set my goal for 2lbs a week & MFP has me at 1200 calories which is very hard, espeically if I dont do a killer workout that day.

Does anyone lose 1-2 lbs a week with more calories?

(Im 5'8" and 186..first goal is 165)

Replies

• MrsKillough
    MrsKillough Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 1-2lb a week on 1200. I've lost 14lb in 9 weeks. I want it to be sustainable, so I'm not going overboard on it; if I go out for dinner and want a starter and a pudding, I'll have it, but overall I'm eating less and exercising more so it's working.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    MFP won't set your goal below 1200 calories. So if it does set you to exactly 1200 calories, that means you'd technically have to eat even less than 1200 to accomplish that goal (not recommended). Therefore, there's no way you're gonna lose 2lbs a week consistently by increasing calories.
  • christinechipchase
    christinechipchase Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have been eating 1433 calories and have been losing 2lb a week, I found out my BMR was 1799. There is posts in the community which explains why we should be eating towards that but i have chosen to still take a few calories off. I hope this helps.
  • galaxiegal
    galaxiegal Posts: 90
    Options
    Mine is at 1200 cals and I workout 3-4 days epr week so on those days I actually eat 200 more calories to balance out
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    MFP won't set your goal below 1200 calories. So if it does set you to exactly 1200 calories, that means you'd technically have to eat even less than 1200 to accomplish that goal (not recommended). Therefore, there's no way you're gonna lose 2lbs a week consistently by increasing calories.

I don't understand your last sentence but I think it's perfectly safe to lose 2 lbs/week by eating 1200 and making up the rest of your deficit with added activity.

OP- I eat around 1330 on average which is about a 600 calorie deficit per day for me, so between 1-2 lbs./week on average but closer to one these days.
  • Lauren5280
    Lauren5280 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've been loosing 2lb per week on a 1200 calorie daily intake.
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    for the first month I lost 16lbs(6 then 4 then 3 then 3) on 1200calories plus exercise.
    i've just increased it to 1400calories so we'll soon see!
  • jessig715
    jessig715 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Go to a local nutrition center (we have some that are run by Herbalife) and have them do a body scan that tells you how many calories burn based on your metabolism. It will basically tell you how many calories you burn "just being alive" and then factor in how much exercise you plan to do, to give you a daily calorie goal. I've found it to be very helpful! I fluctuate on how much I lose per week, but I've lost over 40 lbs in the last 5 months, and I'm pretty happy with that pace!
  • BubbleGumKisses
    BubbleGumKisses Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I only lose 1 pound a week at 1000 with 500 exercise 5x a week
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    my body lost and then regained because I was loosing so much so fast last year when I did this.. Now I am eating 1800 a day and working out 5 days a week. It is sadly going very slow but the weight is staying off so that is ok with me...
  • maverick48
    maverick48 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Okay, technically I'm a guy, but I'm still trying to lose 2+lbs a week, mostly because I'm too impatient. My daily calories are set at 1280 by MFP and most days I can make it, though I am doing Insanity and usually eat a lot of my exercise calories back. But the point is, if I can do 1200 calories a day, so can you. It's not always easy, but it's possible and it does work. If you can't stay under it, exercise off the extra.
  • Mrsbrandnewmeslimandtrim
    Options
    Bump~ very good question
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    You should lose a good amount quickly by doing 1200 if you have 20+ pounds to lose. I lost the first half of my weight by staying under 1350. However, may I suggest that you up your calorie goal as you get closer to your goal weight? Let's be honest... 1200 calories is pretty tough to maintain in the long run. As you train yourself to make better food choices, it will be easier not to splurge with a larger calorie allowance, and you will ease yourself into maintenance as you go. Try upping 100 cals every time you meet a goal.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I was reading a topic about how many calories ladies eat per day and got confused because the numbers were 1500-2100.

I want to lose weight fast since its summer so I set my goal for 2lbs a week & MFP has me at 1200 calories which is very hard, espeically if I dont do a killer workout that day.

Does anyone lose 1-2 lbs a week with more calories?

(Im 5'8" and 186..first goal is 165)

Whether you'll lose 2lb or less on 1200, depends on what your TDEE is.

you'll need to know that first before knowing how much loss you can expect eating at 1200.
  • Blueberry09
    Blueberry09 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I only had 25lbs to lose as well and had my cals set to 2lbs a week. I was lucky if I managed 2lbs a month! Just because MFP says that's what you will lose, chances are good it won't be like that. Like the "if every day were like today .."

I suggest (and I wish someone had done that for me, but I didn't ask!) setting your goal at 1/2 to 1lb week. You will get to eat more calories that will be easier to maintain in the long haul.

Good luck!
  • Sasha2211
    Sasha2211 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Stinaa91
    Stinaa91 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have my calories set at 1500 and I've lost 19 lbs in the last month and a half.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I am losing about 1.5 a week eating 1600-1800 calories and working out, with a splurge day thrown in every week or so.
  • stronggirl69
    Options
    I can lose 2 lbs a week when I am very good...but I like to enjoy myself too. Sooo sometimes I lose 2-3 lbs, then the next week I will not lose or even go up a pound....I try not to get stressed about it. Like I said, I do enjoy a snack or drink now & then. If I don't allow myself my cravings I end up binging instead.