is it possible to loose 100 pounds in 20 months?

Options
Hi guys!
My 10 year high school reunion is exactly 2 years from now. I would really love to loose 100 pounds by then. Do you guys think this goal is realistic?

Replies

• MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Yep. But don't worry about the 100. The only one that matters is the next one. Keep that in mind, and you'll be just fine. Oh! And don't freak out when you put on a couple here and there along the way. IT WILL HAPPEN, and it's OK.
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yep.

It will require dedication, but 5 lbs a month average isn't too high! You'll find, though, that it will be more per month early on and then slow down as you approach goal.
  • tmt2003
    tmt2003 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yes I do! I started in March 2011 and I am down 90 pounds. The first 60 or so came off rather quickly (2 lbs a week or so) the latter half is slower but its happening! totally doable : )

Good luck!
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    Losing 100lbs in 104 weeks comes down to 1lb/week. Completely doable! (Just keep in mind that weight loss is not necessarily linear). Good luck!
  • scordrick
    scordrick Posts: 33
    Options
    Yes, this is very possible. I've been on this journey (fully committed) since February and I've lost 35 pounds. Some months I lose 5+ pounds and others it's slower depending on the type of exercise I'm doing and the kind of food I'm feeding into my body. Just remember to keep focused, stay closely knit with MFP so you can relay on friends who are in the same predicament, and only think about "today". Today's food and exercise will determine your pant size tomorrow and the day after. If you need a friend, I'd be happy to help you along the road...
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    definitely possible!
    1lb a week loss is more than manageable!
    Good Luck!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Yes, but a few things to keep in mind.

1. Whether you specifically hit 100 pounds or not, you're going to lose a whole lot of weight if you work at it for nearly two years.
    2. Weight will come off more quickly the further you are from your goal. Target 2 pounds a week now, and then when things slow down you'll be less prone to panic.
    3. As important as weight is muscle retention and muscle tone (both for health and appearance). It's well worth considering starting some lifting now, while you still have lots of muscle to retain. I waited too long and I'm going through a bit of a struggle getting my body fat percentage down. This task would have been a lot easier had I focused more on weights and less on fast-calorie-burning cardio.

But, yeah, you should be able to do 100 pounds in 20 months - just be patient and don't rush it.
  • jessig715
    jessig715 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    In the past when I've given myself "BIG" goals, I've always gotten stuck on that and gotten tripped up and frustrated, because that goal feels SO far away! Give yourself small mini goals and work towards those, with 100 lbs being your end goal! It will keep you motivated!
  • Tynen
    Tynen Posts: 5
    Options
    Yes, there's hundreds of people that have lost way more in way shorter times on www.reddit.com/r/keto seriously. No spam, just a community of people that're losing tons of weight doing what's right and being full :)
  • Smitty359
    Smitty359 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes it is!!! I lost 117 pounds in 18 months, just by diet and exercise alone. Dont freak out though if you step on a scale, and dont see a change. If you are working out, and eating right, when youre not loosing pounds, youre loosing INCHES! And that, is just as awesome as loosing pounds!:-) Dont get discouraged, stay positive!!!
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    It is definitely possible. I have lost 101 pounds since Jan 2011 so about 19 months for me. I would suggest breaking it into smaller goals though. It can seem impossible when you think of the big picture. Set 10 or 20 pound goals for yourself. It tends to come off faster when you first start and then slows down. You might even experience plateaus. But if you are willing to put in the work, you can certainly achieve your goal. Good luck to you.
  • carinnaj
    carinnaj Posts: 149
    Options
    YES!! you can absolutely do it! I lost just under 90 lbs in roughly 2 years before I had my kids. and I'm sure I could have done even better if I had a tool like this website to help me, then.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!
    My 10 year high school reunion is exactly 2 years from now. I would really love to loose 100 pounds by then. Do you guys think this goal is realistic?

Absolutely. I lost 150 in 14 months, and I helped a girl lose 110 lbs in 12 months. But you have to be dedicated and extremely driven to have results like that.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Yep. :)
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    Absolutely! Don't starve yourself, and move a little more each day!

And YAY you for not waiting and coming on here asking, is it possible to lose 100 pounds in a month?! :P I really look forward to watching your progress and seeing your 10 year reunion pictures!!
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Definitely realistic!

However, I recommend measuring your inches, to keep you motivated, on a monthly basis. When I lose 2-3 inches on my mid-section in a month, I am stoked, even if I only lost 6 pounds!
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I've lost 60 in about 4 months.. but 20 of it came off pretty fast right after my daughtrer was born.
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I'm down 96 in less than a year, so I would say yes it's more than possible to do it and wisely in 20 months!
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I'm a living witness b/c I did it in less than 6 months. No yo yo diets or carb cutting. Didn't run 20 miles a day. When I was 300 lbs, I ate 1 huge meal a day. Once I calculated my daily calorie needs, I broke them down and measured what I needed to eat every 4 hours. Once I got used to eating the small portions, the weight started dropping. I walked a few miles each day and also did resistance training 3 days a week for 30 minutes. Once I got comfortable with my routine, I would do early morning cardio on an empty stomach for @ 30 minutes. I ate measure portions every 3/4 hours. On lifting days I would hit the weights for 30 minutes followed immediately by 20 min of cardio. It was all about the nutrition and eating when my body needed cals, not when my brain thought I was hungry.
  • addict3
    addict3 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sure. I've done it a few times now... This is the last time!