What flavor(s) go well with lemon in desserts?

Options
Sister_Someone
Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
In a couple days I'll have someone who loves lemon coming over and I'd like to bake something a little bit nicer than plain lemon muffins for her, but I have no idea what other flavor would go well in there. Especially because my person won't eat anything with coconut I don't like lemon so I never experiment with it.

Can someone give me some ideas?

Note: My person won't eat anything with coconut and tolerates but doesn't like vanilla...

Replies

• LadyPacis
    LadyPacis Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I really like almond with lemon. Also, other citrus flavors, like orange or lime go well with lemon.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Lemon meringue pie. :love: Or lemon cheesecake. :love:
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Any kind of fresh berries go with lemon.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Poppy seed. Unless either of you have a drug test coming up!
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Raspberry and lemon are awesome. Or those tasty little lemon and graham cracker squares...

am I ever glad I don't have the stuff to make 'em...coz I so would right now.
  • Koorogi
    Koorogi Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Raspberries are amazing with lemon! At least to me, lemon is my favorite as well.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Raspberries are always great.
    Ginger, coconut, strawberry, blackberry, fresh mint, poppyseed.
  • SlvrStarr
    SlvrStarr Posts: 47
    Options
    Raspberry & blueberry are both wonderful with lemon.
  • dollipop
    dollipop Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Lemon Meringue cupcakes. Nom!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Something sweet and creamy to offset the bitter lemon. Cream cheese frosting is a good mate to lemon.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    These look yummy. From http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/lemon-raspberry-bars/

Lemon Raspberry Bars

Yield: Makes 16 bars

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:

For the crust:
    1 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
    6 tablespoons salted butter, melted
    1/4 cup sugar
    Zest of one lemon

For the filling:

2 large egg yolks
    1-14 oz. can fat free sweetened condensed milk
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon lemon zest
    6 ounces fresh raspberries

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350F. Spray a 8 by 8 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, sugar, and lemon zest. Stir until graham cracker crumbs are moist. Press crumbs into the prepared pan, pressing the crust mixture one inch up the side of the pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.

Once the crust is cool, combine the egg yolks and condensed milk until well mixed. Stir in the lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir until mixture begins to slightly thicken. Gently fold in the raspberries. Fold carefully so you don't break the raspberries.

Pour the lemon raspberry filling evenly over the graham cracker crust. Bake for 15 minutes, or until just set.

Cool to room temperature, then chill for at least one hour before serving. Cut into bars and serve. Keep bars in the refrigerator-up to five days.

*Note-use fresh raspberries and make sure you gently fold the berries into the lemon filling or you will have pink bars.
  • rockchalkgoku
    Options
    Blueberries!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Raspberries are amazing with lemon! At least to me, lemon is my favorite as well.
    This was my first thought, too. Lime and orange also go well, as do strawberry, blueberry, etc. Lemon poppy seed is a timeless classic. Putting a few fresh berries in those lemon muffins would be lovely.
  • sen1961
    sen1961 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This sounds nice & refreshing. But make it all lemon and skip the coconut. Go to pillsbury.com to see picture.

Frozen Key Lime Torte

Scoops of frozen sherbet, sorbet, and yogurt, a crunchy graham-cracker crust, and a touch of fresh lime juice are what make this sweet-tart dessert a winner.

( 1 ) Rating Member Reviews ( 3 )

of ingredients
    prep time
    15 Min
    total time
    4 Hr 30 Min

pint (2 cups) lime sherbet
    pint (2 cups) lemon sorbet
    pint (2 cups) vanilla frozen yogurt
    1 1/4
    cups graham cracker crumbs
    tablespoons sugar
    1/4
    cup butter or margarine, melted
    tablespoon Key lime juice
    1/4
    cup coconut, toasted*
    Place sherbet, sorbet and frozen yogurt in refrigerator to soften while preparing crust.
    In small bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter. Press mixture in bottom of 9-inch springform pan. Freeze 15 minutes.
    Spoon or scoop softened sherbet, sorbet and frozen yogurt into large bowl. Add lime juice; stir gently to mix. Spoon mixture over crust in pan, spreading evenly. Sprinkle with coconut; lightly press into sherbet mixture. Freeze until firm before serving, at least 4 hours.
    To serve, let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Cut into wedges.
    Expert Tips
    Frozen desserts like this one are easier to cut if left out at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
    Nutrition Information:
    1 Serving (1 Serving)Calories 260(Calories from Fat 70),Total Fat 8g(Saturated Fat 4 1/2g,Trans Fat 1/2g),Cholesterol 15mg;Sodium 150mg;Total Carbohydrate 44g(Dietary Fiber 1g,Sugars 35g),Protein 3g;Percent Daily Value*:Vitamin A 4 %;Vitamin C 6 %;Calcium 10 %;Iron 2 %;Exchanges:1 Starch;0 Fruit;2 Other Carbohydrate;0 Skim Milk;0 Low-Fat Milk;0 Milk;0 Vegetable;0 Very Lean Meat;0 Lean Meat;0 High-Fat Meat;1 1/2 Fat;Carbohydrate Choices:3;*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
    Review & CommentsWrite a Review
    1-3 of 3 ReviewsView All
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Wow, a lot of answers in just a couple minutes! Thanks everybody, you're all amazing and helpful!

Special thanks to Sen1961 and dewgirl321 who included recipes!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    raspberry....
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Ginger is great with lemon :)
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    Surprisingly, dark chocolate!
    I've had a flourless chocolate cake with a lemon curd type topping and it was divine, as well as a hot cocoa with lemon salted whipped cream. :O So delicious!

Here's a healthy, vegan lemon square recipe. Easy peasy.
    http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/05/07/healthy-lemon-squares/

Note: I changed the amount of flour in the recipe to account for the extra cocoa powder!

Crust:

1/4 cup flour of choice (180g)
    1/4 cup powdered sugar or Sugar-Free Powdered Sugar (28g)
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 tbsp plus 2 tsp coconut oil (40g)
    1 tbsp water or more coconut oil
    *Add 4T cocoa powder to this!!*

Filling:

1/2 tbsp arrowroot or cornstarch
    1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp lemon juice (90g)
    1/4 cup powdered sugar or sf powdered sugar (linked above) (28g)
    2 Nunaturals stevia packs or 1/16 tsp uncut, or 2 more tablespoons powdered sugar or sugar-free powdered sugar
    1 cup MoriNu silken-firm or lite tofu (This is not the same as the tofu in a grocery store’s refrigerator section. See “nutrition facts” link below for where to find this.) (240g)
    zest of one lemon (you can omit this)
    optional: a few drops yellow food coloring or tiny pinch tumeric, only if desired for color

Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine crust ingredients, either in a food processor or by hand. (Make sure the oil is melted if combining by hand.) Press evenly into a well-greased 8×8 pan. (I used a piece of wax paper over the top, so it was easier to press down.) Cook 10 minutes, while simultaneously combining filling ingredients in a food processor or blender. After crust cooks, pour filling evenly on top and cook another 26 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes, then fridge uncovered for at least 2 hours (important, as this lets the custard set) before cutting with a sharp knife. If you’re having trouble cutting, leave out just a few minutes so the coconut oil softens. (Note: If you want fatter squares than what are pictured, you can times the filling by 1.5, cook 10 minutes longer, and fridge 2 extra hours.) Makes 12-16 squares.

There's calorie counts on the link!
  • theblackbirdtree
    Options
    P.S. You can use margarine, or any butter instead of coconut oil if you don't have it!
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    basil