sodium

Options
ikillem
ikillem Posts: 8 Member
So i started my low cal diet and I see sodium everywhere. How many people actually stick to their sodium intake. Ive seen that its not good to take over 2500mg , but its so hard to keep the cals low and the sodium low also. I guess what Im trying to say is if I bust my sodium intake is it really that bad?

Replies

• tropywife1010
    Options
    I find it difficult too to watch my sodium while eating less calories- the key for me is definitely eating less processed foods, the more natural form the less sodium in general. One of the BEST tips I can share if you are a cheese lover (I am!), is to enjoy Swiss cheese, very low sodium!
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    You can reduce your sodium by preparing foods yourself. Packaged foods and everything processed is loaded with it!

Frozen meals pack a ton of sodium so try make those yourself (if you eat them). They are so easy to make and are much better for you.

Sodium levels you should keep an eye on because it will make you retain water and therefore making it seem like you either gained weight or didn't lose anything. Your body does need some sodium but too much is a bad thing.
  • nlaroy
    nlaroy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sodium is everywhere, so its not the easiest thing to lower. My first suggestion is to eliminate it from your table and home cooking. When buying meats like chicken, look for the so sodium added labels ( didn't know they put it in chicken flavoring to make it takes more like chicken.. lol ) Make alot of your favorites at home. I'm a huge pizza lover, but making it at home lets me still enjoy it, not to mention its lower in calories. Stay away from anything in a can. If you use canned foods they seem to make alot more with no salt added. I use tons of canned tomatoes and beans. Good Luck
  • annahiven
    annahiven Posts: 185
    Options
    I DEFINITELY keep an eye on sodium. It makes me retain water like crazy. After fat/carbs/protein, it's the next thing I watch.
  • NewChristina
    NewChristina Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I wake up swollen in the mornings, if I have high sodium for dinner (chinese, for example). So, I've lowered my sodium to 2000 and it isn't hard to stand by it. Stay away from processed foods as much as possible and you'll be fine.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Making food yourself is the best way to reduce your sodium. You can take a look at my diary for today. I'm still a little under my sodium and I've eaten about 2500 total calories.
  • nlaroy
    nlaroy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sodium also effects your blood pressure, which can affect your heart, kidneys and so on.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    You can reduce your sodium by preparing foods yourself. Packaged foods and everything processed is loaded with it!

Frozen meals pack a ton of sodium so try make those yourself (if you eat them). They are so easy to make and are much better for you.

Sodium levels you should keep an eye on because it will make you retain water and therefore making it seem like you either gained weight or didn't lose anything. Your body does need some sodium but too much is a bad thing.

This! It may sound weird but if you drink lots of water you can flush some, and retain less.
  • Lyssabeth22
    Options
    Fresh foods
  • andreamkelly
    andreamkelly Posts: 169
    Options
    I try to limit my sodium to under 1,500mg per day. Which means, no more frozen lean cuisines, salads only when eating at 90% of the restaurants and have to be really careful on the salad dressing. Too much sodium means more water weight, but drinking a lot of water cleans out the sodium and other impurities in the body. I'm hoping that limiting sodium and drinking tons of water helps me to keep losing at a steady rate. I do have more trouble staying under my sodium than I do my calories. Especially since your daily allowance doesn't go up when you exercise like your carbs and fats do. Good Luck! BTW I downloaded the 'Restaurant Nutrition' app on my android (also on the iphone) and I don't order until I've checked the app for nutrition information. I usually end up ordering the meal with the least amount of sodium.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    sodium makes you retain water weight. I try to keep my sodium low, and it's really not all that hard when you are eating right.
  • rm830
    rm830 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    My sodium level is set to 1500, so I try to stay under that. It's not hard to do if I mostly eat food I cook myself. I don't add salt to anything anymore and ask for no salt on my food when I go out to eat. Restaurants will cater to that, you just have to ask.
  • Josette89
    Josette89 Posts: 244
    Options
    I recently got some blood work done and I found out that I have a low Sodium level. I'm finding it hard to intake enough Sodium. I make my meals all at home. And I rarely ever add salt. I'm more of a Pepper person :) Haha. But too low Sodium isn't good either. So I'm working on it. Some have told me that the low Sodium levels may be the cause of my water retention and weight gain. Who knows.... But basically, to keep away from Sodium, make fresh meals, not processed. :)
  • vanessalillian82
    vanessalillian82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I don't seem to have any trouble with sodium, but I don't eat a lot of processed foods so it's not that hard to avoid. You'd be surprised how much is in things like processed sandwich meat!
  • today6212
    today6212 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i tend to retain loads of water if i eat to much. recently i have bought, low sodium olives, tuna, deli turkey and threw out my salt shaker. in two days i have literally used the bathroom every 15 minutes lol. i feel lighter and low sodium olives and tuna are actually really good! they have a different almost fresh flavor(weird cause their canned) the deli meats kinda gross tho, i wanted pickles with it which just defeated the purpose.
  • chica23GK
    chica23GK Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I watch my sodium because my blood pressure is not as low as it used to be & I don't want to have high blood pressure problems. My limit is set at 1500 per Dash Diet (government recommendations for good blood pressure for women). I didn't realize how much sodium I took in until I started MFP - there is sodium in most everything (tho small amounts in fruits & veggies). It was very hard at first until I started eating "clean" - nothing out of a box or can, nothing processed. If I do have a Lean Cuisine (only if I have to) or eat out at a restaurant, I watch my other carbs more carefully - eat only salads for other meals (eliminating any carbs except veggies) - and I only eat half the restaurant entree. Blood pressure is an important number because high bp can lead to kidney & heart trouble. Good luck :)
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I keep my sodium under 1500 per Dr orders, if I go over on occasion its no big deal I just drink more water to help flush it out. Its not as hard as it sounds if you cook for yourself and read the labels. It is next to impossible to completely remove it from your diet as it occurs naturally in many vegetables .