• eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    Game of Thrones series by George R.R. Martin. Excellent read

YES and the Lord of the Rings
  • lilbitsc89
    lilbitsc89 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Download the Blog kindle tips and tricks by michael gallagher. It's .99 a month and he tells you about free books/apps, everything, everyday. Some days you can download like 10 books. Some of the downloads are only good for a couple hours/ days, but its a great blog. It's a great way to rack up on books that you would not normally read or hear about. Amazon offers a 2 week free trial if you want to try it. Also, any books before 1930 (i think) are free.
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have a kindle fire. I have a library card from my home town and I can download a book from any library in Ohio. There are lots of free books on amazon, pixelofink, and frugalgirls, have lots of free ones also. It's a personal choice but the choices are awesome.
  • Tallulahbelle2011
    Tallulahbelle2011 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte, Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy (actually I love pretty much anything by the Bronte sisters or Thomas Hardy but those 2 are my favourites), Bram Stokers Dracula, all free from Amazon, if you like ****ens try Tale of Two Cities. The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas......for more modern books, the Girl with the dragon tattoo/who played with fire/who kicked the hornets nest were really good (I thought) and are pretty cheap on Amazon. I love my kindle, couldn't live without it now! (Although there will always be something about that 'new book' smell and feel....) Happy reading!

Edited to add.......not sure if they're free, but On the road - Jack Kerouac, and Catcher in the Rye - JD Salinger are great reads too! I need to stop, or I could go on for hours!
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    Just read all the Game of Thrones on mine. Pretty good. looking forward to the next ones.

Game of Thrones is a classic already?
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions everyone! Thanks! Keep em comin'!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    My favorite classic is the "The Scarlett Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Modern: "Unbreakable". Memoir about a man who was a Japanese prisoner.. really riveting and heart wrenching.
  • jaajh
    jaajh Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I really like Thomas Hardy (rarely happy endings, but lots of realism) - Tess of the D'Urbervilles is a favourite and I know that's free on Kindle (was the first one I downloaded). I also recommend anything by George Elliot (Silas Marner, Middlemarch, Adam Bede, ...). I also second the suggestion made by someone above re John Steinbeck - any of his books are great. I can't stand D!ckens or Jane Austen personally - but each to his/her own taste. Try a bit of lots of authors and see which you prefer. Enjoy your Kindle!
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I think most of the classics are free. Something to do with expired royalty licenses or something makes anything published prior to a particular date free.

If you're looking for classics, Wuthering Heights is one of my favorites.

When you want to move on to something else the Game of Thrones Series is fantastic!

Recently read Out of the Darkness: The true Story of Mary Ellen Wilson. It's about how the guy who started the SPCA in the 1860's got involved in rescuing a horribly abused little girl under the animal rights acts, which lead to the spin off of the Human Rights act. Good read, but very emotional.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    The Tao of Pooh

To Kill A Mockingbird (if you live under a rock and haven't read it yet)

The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    My favorite classic is the "The Scarlett Letter" by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

Modern: "Unbreakable". Memoir about a man who was a Japanese prisoner.. really riveting and heart wrenching.

I can't find 'Unbreakable' remember the author?
  • docdrd
    docdrd Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Classics -- If you like ****ens, David Copperfield was my favorite. A lot of people recommended others I would have suggested. Not seen yet, how about including some Mark Twain - I thought Innocents Abroad was laugh out loud funny. For modern authors, I loved Pat Conroy - Lords of Discipline and Prince of Tides were two of my favorites, and though I would not necessarily call them "classics", the Potter series was brilliant. A completely original construct and extraordinarily clever. Good luck and enjoy!
  • meat03man
    meat03man Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I agree with you on Twilight and 50 shades, but I have to disagree, The Harry Potter series are one of the best things ever written. I read a lot and if you get a chance give the Harry Potter's a chance. But really I like Slaughterhouse Five, and Lord of the Flies was really good. I read a ton of Stephen King and I am about half way through The Stand it has been great so far. A Clockwork Orange was great.
  • Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you'd call it a classic, but one of my all time favourite books is Kane and Abel by Jeffrey Archer. My two favourite authors are men: Jeffrey Archer and James Patterson. I particularly like the Women's Murder Club series by James Patterson.
  • Blondehelmet
    Blondehelmet Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Basically a lot of the classics are free because they're out of copyright.

Classics I liked that were free on amazon:
    The mysterious island by jukes Verne (I think val Kilmer was in a movie version of it but please don't hold that against the book)
    Moby **** by Herman Melville
    Madame Bovary by gustave Flaubert
    Les Miserables by Victor Hugo (coming out as a movie soon so good time to read it)
    Grimms Fairy Tales by the bothers Grimm was actually awesome, and very different from the versions I knew about
    Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

Also a classic, but maybe not free is the Gormenghast Trilogy By Mervyn Peake, victorian gothic novel at its best.

And I agree, Game of Thrones might not be a classic yet but it will be!

Hope this helps!
    Bec
  • amphion
    amphion Posts: 48
    Options
    Check out http://www.gutenberg.org/ they have pretty much all the classics. Tolstoy is good if you want to feel depressed.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to check out the 40,000 free e-books at
    http://www.gutenberg.org/
    classics that are out of copyright, on the Canadian one I found sequels to some "traditional" fairy tales,
    de la Mare, Walter
    **** and the Beanstalk, same problem as Moby **** gets censored but...
    many others depending on what you're looking for..
    made for a good read and an untold story, to me at least, there's a few of them just get what you want.

http://gutenberg.ca/

And LOL at the last post prior to mine mentioning it as I was typing mine.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    books.... read books....
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    GAME OF THRONES! It's pretty freaking fantastic. Each book is an epic 800-1000 pages.

Oh and "Let's Pretend This Never Happened" by Jenni Lawson. Her blog is gut-busting hilarious so her book should be quite the romp.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    books.... read books....

Yep! I work in publishing, and am fortunate enough to edit business/entrepreneur/financial how to's. It doesn't matter what you read, just read. Read because you are learning. Read because you are relaxing. Read for fun. Read...:smile: