What effect will eating junk but within your calories have?

Options
I'm just wondering, because I know eating "clean" is really the best, but what if I have a brownie every day as well? What would that do? Always kind of had this question haha

Replies

• stonerdude
    stonerdude Posts: 103
    Options
    Google Food Matters!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: if you're trying to be healthy, why would you put empty calories in your body?
  • imannalouise
    Options
    huh, looks interesting!
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering, because I know eating "clean" is really the best, but what if I have a brownie every day as well? What would that do? Always kind of had this question haha

Not much. However, MFP only works if it involves a lifestyle change. If you aren't willing two put limits on the junk, you will fail. I found that after months on MFP, my taste changed and I no longer want to eat that stuff.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    You'll probably still lose weight. Skinny people get diabetes and heart conditions too.
  • nuskin
    nuskin Posts: 8
    Options
    As long as you stay within your calorie limit andyou're getting the nutrition you need, then even a daily treat won't throw you off. In fact a small indulgence as a reward can help keep you motivated and less tempted to "fall off the wagon" and binge.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's fine.
  • bourny11
    bourny11 Posts: 1
    Options
    hey if the majority of your food intake is healthy then there's nothing wrong with having your brownie especially if you are under your goal....just don't over do it that's all
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I eat junk often. Hasn't interfered with my goals or my health.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    It's fine.
    This. I eat plenty of 'crap' but not too much :wink:
  • imannalouise
    Options
    As long as you stay within your calorie limit andyou're getting the nutrition you need, then even a daily treat won't throw you off. In fact a small indulgence as a reward can help keep you motivated and less tempted to "fall off the wagon" and binge.

Yeah, I feel like it's not the end of the world if you have some little thing some days. I understand that this involves a whole lifestyle change, I was just wondering if there would be an effect because it doesn't seem like a straightforward answer. If your body burns a certain amount of calories a day, would a couple hundred empty calories really do a terrible amount of harm? I agree with the quote above, I don't think it would throw you off. But if there's some sort of scientific thing that says completely otherwise than I'd love to know! haha
  • imannalouise
    Options
    hey if the majority of your food intake is healthy then there's nothing wrong with having your brownie especially if you are under your goal....just don't over do it that's all

Agreed! It's all about not over doing it
  • spearson288
    spearson288 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Take a read through this, snacking is OK! so long as you still take it into account in terms of your diet. When I was working with a trainer she encouraged me to get rid of cravings (especially around the end of the month :laugh: ).

Obviously this does not mean go all out and eat an entire bakery but little sweets now and then are fine.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If you ate all (or mostly) junk, you'd be in pretty poor health because you wouldn't be getting the nutrition you need. But a brownie a day? Not a problem.
  • imannalouise
    Options
    You'll probably still lose weight. Skinny people get diabetes and heart conditions too.

I highly doubt that a brownie a day would be enough to give you diabetes or a heart condition, especially with exercise making your heart strong. But you're right, everyone gets diseases like those
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

What's with "probably" still will lose weight, do certain foods have magical abilities to halt weightloss in the midst of a consistent caloric deficit?
  • 130annie
    130annie Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Okay, so you are doing everything right......But it is human nature to feel a bit cheated...So prevent going off on a binge.....Have your little treat...I have one every day....I allow 100 cals per day....I'm still losing....
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have a bacon cheeseburger every Saturday, just because they taste so good. I have lost 80lbs, so it can't be that bad! Lots of healthy food and junk in moderation is my lifestyle. :flowerforyou:
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    In my experience, when you are at or near maintenance weight, eating all the way clean versus mostly clean makes a noticeable difference in body composition and energy levels. I was at 112 pounds, which was a weight that I was content with, but when I cut out pretty much all added sugar and refined grains, I lost 2 pounds, which wasn't a big deal, but more importantly I became a faster runner without trying, and started looking more lean and toned as opposed to just thin. I stopped feeling tired every afternoon. So yeah it can make a difference in the way you look and the way you feel. But for some people it's just not worth it to them to be so strict.
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options

I highly doubt that a brownie a day would be enough to give you diabetes or a heart condition, especially with exercise making your heart strong. But you're right, everyone gets diseases like those
    You're right. I was actually going to come back and delete my post. For you it may work perfectly.

Anyway, my initial response was because, to ME, a brownie means a huuuuuge piece loaded with chocolate frosting. And even a small piece risks triggering a binge.

It's not a choice I would make on a daily basis...but if it works for you, go for it! I really do believe in the old "different strokes for different folks". I'm still trying to find my way on this journey, and what will work for me for the rest of my life.

Also, as the person above me noted, anything sugary like that makes me soooo sleepy.