My story

Options
Hello everyone,
My name is Briana, and I'm relatively new here to the MFP message boards. I am writing this mainly for my own cathartic therapy; however, any comments and/or support is greatly appreciated. Kudos if you make it all the way to the end :)

My struggle with my weight began when I was about 11-12 years old. I was very active during those years, playing softball, soccer, basketball, and karate. When I was 11, I was still wearing clothing from the kids section, but by the time I hit 8th grade, I had moved all the way up to a ladies size 14. When I was 13, I was an astonishing 180 pounds. I was about 5'3-5'4 back then. I knew it wasn't normal, but I didn't see myself eating any differently than other kids my age. With all the sports and activities I was doing, I figured it would eventually fall off or even itself out. It didn't.

I began to feel very self-conscious the next summer when I was going into high school. I joined the marching band and would spend hours outside in the Georgia summer heat. Even with the addition of that activity, the weight stayed on. It was then that I realized I would forever have to work just to maintain my weight. I went on a very low-carb diet and dropped about 40 pounds in 4 months. It was awesome, but of course when you add back the carbs the weight comes back on. I was able to stay around 160 throughout the rest of my high school years. When graduation came around, I worked really hard and got back down to 140 by staying up late after all my homework was done doing kickboxing DVDs.

I went off to the University of Georgia the next fall, and most definitely gained back whatever weight I had lost. Call it the freshman 15, or whatever you prefer, but I was still very unhappy with it. By then, all sports and activities had stopped, and my eating had gotten worse. I came back home the next year to save money, and over the next few years I yo-yo'd between 160 and 140. In the winter/spring of 2007, I saw a picture of myself out with friends and was horrified. I was so ashamed that I had let myself go like that. So I started working out and eating better. In the summer of 2008, just in time for my cousin's wedding, I got back down to the 140's and was finally in a size 8. That was the first time I had been in single digits since middle school. You would have thought that would be enough motivation to keep going, but apparently it wasn't. I drifted back up to about 162 by Christmas/New year’s. In January of 2009, the Biggest Loser was starting its 7th season on TV. I felt like I really connected with one of the contestants. I was 22 at the time, and Tara was 24. She was like a machine, and something clicked in my head. I can do this, and this time I can keep it off. I worked my butt off, quite literally, the next few months and by June I reached my all-time low of 128.5. I was so proud of myself. I kept it off for about 6 months. During that time, I had also begun a new relationship with an amazing guy. I kept up my working out and healthy eating for a while, but when the "new" wore off, I got really comfortable. I slipped back into my old ways and gained back up to 170 by December 2010. When my boyfriend proposed to me the following February, I thought for sure that was the motivation I needed to lose weight. It wasn't. At our wedding in October 2011, I weighed 172, and quickly put on about 10 more pounds on the honeymoon. I figured I'd lose it as my "New Year’s Resolution." In February 2012, I heard about this site and decided to join. I tipped the scale at 198.5. I cried. I had never been that heavy in my entire life. I knocked off 12 pounds the first month and a half. I was so pumped; I thought finally I can do this. Not too long after that, I injured my leg. I ended up not going to the doctor for a while, and when I did, I was told to keep off it for at least 4 more weeks. June came around and I had my new "start date." I was so excited; I went to a running store and got fitted for running shoes in case that was the cause of my injury. I was finally ready, or so I thought.

There always seemed to be something that got in the way, friends' weddings, family stuff, that favorite meal, anything you can think of derailed my progress. I took it as a sign. There will ALWAYS be something. But I can't let it stand in my way anymore. I am sick of working so hard only to let all that hard work go to waste. So here I am, on July 9th, 2012, weighing in at 195.8. I am making my goal public, hoping to keep that as a motivating factor. I want to get back down to a healthy weight of 130 by May 9, 2013. That is approximately 6.5 pounds per month, which is something I feel is very do-able. I also want to be able to run in the Peachtree Road Race next July 4th.

So thanks to everyone who read this in its entirety. It honestly feels good just to write all that down. Please keep the love, support, and most importantly prayers coming. It’s going to be a long journey, but I know that I can do it.

Replies

• 9jenn9
    9jenn9 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I was touched by your story, especially when you said that there will "always be something" to get in the way of reaching your weight loss goals. That's very true. Life's small and big situations get in the way. I'm guessing I'm a bit (or more than a bit) older, but that's been my experience. It's taken a lot of time (and so many times reaching my goal only to regain) for me to see healthy eating/exercise from a different, more long term perspective. Try to keep an eye on the big picture. You will reach your goal (and maintain it) if you don't let the little setbacks and speed bumps overwhelm you. I wish you luck in your journey. If you want some support, feel free to friend me.
  • angTp21
    angTp21 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There definitely always seems to be something, isn't there? Whether it's school, work, family, whatever..something sneaks up on you and the next thing you know you're wondering how you gained all that weight back.

The way I see it and from what I've read, it's definitely a slow and steady race instead of a fast one. Like 9jenn9 said, definitely keep your eye on the big picture and your ultimate goals :)

Best of luck, and feel free to friend me anytime for support.
  • s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    Very well written :D. You have shown yourself that you can achieve your goals. Stay motivated and positive no matter what temptation may come. I wish you luck.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! We seem to have no trouble making excuses for not losing weight. I know you can do it and keep it off this time. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • reka74
    reka74 Posts: 70
    Options
    bump
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Your story is mine; the details differ, but I've been overweight since I was 12. There were moments of big losses and keeping it off for a time, but here I am, back as big as ever, and working on it slowly with MFP.

We are here to support you. This is a lifestyle, and it's so hard. I still make excuses for events and on the weekends, but I always come back. Eventually it will click, for me and for you.

Thanks for sharing your story, and if you need a friend, request away :)
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Here is what I try to do: One the "bad days" I try to limit the damage. On "good days" I try to kick butt as much as possible. Turn your good days into great days, and your bad days into "ok" days.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    You'll find a lot of support here. I'd wager most of us have been on the weight roller coaster much of our lives, too. I've done a lot of different diets over the years, but always gained once I stopped and tried to "maintain". So far, with MFP I'm losing slowly but steadily and really changing how and what I eat. I hope it will be a life change so I can stay off the roller coaster. Best wishes to you for success!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it! I was on the roller coaster most of my life, Making that decision to change FOR GOOD was one of the best things I ever did. Best wishes on your journey.
  • KSmarie333
    KSmarie333 Posts: 11
    Options
    Wow, how weird is this, the same exact thing has happened to me, except for hurting my leg. I am here for you!
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Yes, there is always something it seems. I think your goal is super reasonable, I too have fluctuated with my weight over the years, this time around, I'm not doing a diet or anything like that, I'm watching what I eat and how much I eat. I'm a Georgian too so I know about all about the heat. Add me if you like!