Gaining weight

Options
So, I´m walking at least an hour every day, run 3 times a week, eat my exercise calories, try to eat healthy and drink water. Yet I keep gaining. I know I´m taking some medication that makes me gain, but is it really impossible to lose weight? Any suggestions about what I could do?

Replies

• Twiztedbeing
    Twiztedbeing Posts: 389
    Options
    Without knowing what your diet is or all the exercising you do, I cannot say exactly what to change, it could be your eating too much or maybe too little, weight lifting helps if you are only doing cardio. I cannot say anymore due to lack of information.
  • Bilbobradshaw
    Bilbobradshaw Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Always talk to your doctor before going off medication. People thinking they can "wean themselves off" medication and then crash...This process is a major cause of depression related suicide. It's (obviously) not worth it--especially for some vanity thing, like losing 10 lbs (You, Lea, are clearly not overweight to any such degree that it could harm you and any weight you lose WOULD be just for the sake of vanity).

My advice would be to add strength (ie lifting weights) and resistance (ie doing push ups) to your routine. Additionally, you might want to try cutting back on "bread" and sticking to less processed grains and cereals (like brown rice or oatmeal) for a while to see if that helps. And finally, I think you should also look at how much more active you've been since we started! You're moving more and pushing yourself harder and you seem a bit more proactive now than you did a month ago!

Be proud of yourself! You are doing so much better than you're giving yourself credit for.
  • leahartmann
    leahartmann Posts: 415
    Options
    Thank you, your experience is very interesting! Glad to hear that you made it without medication! :smile: I´m not able to lay off my med, though I would like to. When it comes to exercise, I started to run about three months ago. Two times a week at first, but now three times. I want to increase it to four times. I´m VERY slow. When I started to run, I lost 11 pound. Now I have gained a lot of it back. I eat 1200 cal´s plus exercise calories. I´m often hungry, but try to control myself.
  • leahartmann
    Options
    Always talk to your doctor before going off medication. People thinking they can "wean themselves off" medication and then crash...This process is a major cause of depression related suicide. It's (obviously) not worth it--especially for some vanity thing, like losing 10 lbs (You, Lea, are clearly not overweight to any such degree that it could harm you and any weight you lose WOULD be just for the sake of vanity).

My advice would be to add strength (ie lifting weights) and resistance (ie doing push ups) to your routine. Additionally, you might want to try cutting back on "bread" and sticking to less processed grains and cereals (like brown rice or oatmeal) for a while to see if that helps. And finally, I think you should also look at how much more active you've been since we started! You're moving more and pushing yourself harder and you seem a bit more proactive now than you did a month ago!

Be proud of yourself! You are doing so much better than you're giving yourself credit for.
    You´re a beam of sunlight, cranewife!!

Yes, I´m only sligthly obese, you´re right. And I do eat a lot of rye bread (it´s very danish...:wink: ) I could try to lay it of for a while and see what happens. And add some strength and resistance. check! I´m on it. I will try to get my butt to the gym. :smile:

And thank you for being you!
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

Oh this! Cranewife is right on the money. You are doing so well. I am following your example and beginning to run. I know that if you can then I can. You are a very special person and friend. I wish we all had the right answer for you, but just know that we are here for you. Keep doing what you're doing and maybe this plateau will end soon!
  • Kailuen
    Kailuen Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I know it's frustrating. But it could be water retention from your muscles that are trying to rebuild themselves. Or your diet. Take protein shakes, I found they have helped! It could also be you are gaining muscles =)
  • Y0YoFatty
    Y0YoFatty Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi. It definitely is the medication. I was on the same class of medications. I worked out for 4 months, 5 hours per week & ate 1300 calories a day consistently. I drank water & avoided all alcohol. I gained weight. These medications make it so impossible. If you keep at it though, you will tone up and feel great about yourself!

The medications come with a HIGH risk for developing diabetes. Have you considered a low-glycemic diet? It is the best defense against getting diabetes. Message me and I can e-mail you a shopping list of low-glycemic foods. There is a lot of great tasting things to choose from!
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    exercising that much.. no wonder you are hungry! your body needs fuel! You NEED to eat more to lose! Try upping you calories to 1400 or so and try it for a week! I bet you will start losing! =)

Try a protein shake too! I live by mine! =)
  • melann1974
    melann1974 Posts: 84
    Options
    I was put on a medication Spring 2011 and gained about 10 lbs and then was put on a different medication in the Summer 2011 and gained another 25lbs. I was told by my Dr that these medicines would cause me to gain weight. I went back to my Dr and she changed my medication without the side effects of weight gain (3 weeks ago). I started my new weightloss journey in March and have lost 26lbs. I am hoping that with the new medication, myfitnessapp, watching my calories and exercising, I can get this weight off of me.

Talk to your Dr and see if you can get a different medication.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hi - don't know what you are on and have no idea what "type" of bipolar experience you've endured (more on the manic side, more on the depressive side, rapid cycling/slow cycling, etc.) - but sometimes meds can be titrated a bit - although that kind of "tweaking" carries with it risks you may already be well acquainted with. However, if you can find a willing psychiatrist or physician and a nutritionist and get them working together, perhaps that could be valuable (I'm sorry I don't know anything about the Danish system so this may be stupid was well as ignorant input.)

Outside of that, a vegan diet, with low or no added fat will sometimes enable weight loss while on certain medications used to treat bipolar disorder, lithium among them - SSRI meds are very difficult but I have known two people who have adopted that diet and been able to lose a few pounds (not much) and then stabilize.

And the exercise is very, very good. Agree with adding some lifting as you can.
  • AshleygardnerSandiego
    Options
    That's so frustrating. With all that exercise you should be thin as a rail! Have you had a glucose test lately? Are you thirsty in the morning? One of the symptoms of those who may be headed toward diabetes is weight gain. Scary but better to know so you can act accordingly.

Other thought... you are building muscle with all that running. How much weight gain are we talking about?
  • leahartmann
    Options
    Thank you all! You have been very helpful. Mfp is so great and all of your suggestions sounds very well. I will try it. Thank you! :flowerforyou:
  • lcpurser
    lcpurser Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Up your calories. I lost 30 lbs in 6 months on 1850 cals/day. Quit smoking and gained some back, but I am jumping right back in at 1850 again :) btw, I am 5'7.
  • Secondgoround
    Options
    Sometimes you might not be losing weight per the scale (the demon) but you are gaining health and well being which are immeasurable. I would try adding some strength training, keeping your food choices as clean as possible within your calorie allotment and make sure you get enough sleep. You're so naturally pretty!
  • leahartmann
    Options
    That's so frustrating. With all that exercise you should be thin as a rail! Have you had a glucose test lately? Are you thirsty in the morning? One of the symptoms of those who may be headed toward diabetes is weight gain. Scary but better to know so you can act accordingly.

Other thought... you are building muscle with all that running. How much weight gain are we talking about?
    Yes, I had a glucose test about a month ago and it was fine. I will keep an eye on it, though. Didn´t know about the diabetes from the med.
    I managed to lose 8 pounds when I started running and watch my diary. I have gained more than half of it back, even though I really try to watch what I eat and drink. It may not sound like much, but I feel like I really worked to lose that much/little. I try to be realistic about how much I´m able to lose, but gaining it all back is frustrating. I gained 50 pounds in a year, when I started on the medication.
  • reneeot
    reneeot Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Moi aussi, seroquel messed me up bad! Frustrating to be gaining weight and having people assume u are over eating or not exercising enough. Because otherwise you would be losing weight! Frustrating! My ticker use to say 24lbs lost. +22lbs in 12 months. I workout 6 days a week.(for 3 months now) 1200-1600 calories for the past 2 years

Off meds now, but no results yet. I don't have an answer tohelp, i'm still figuring it out myself. But continue to eat right and exercise, otherwise you will be worse off.

Stay in touch!
  • leahartmann
    Options
    Hi - don't know what you are on and have no idea what "type" of bipolar experience you've endured (more on the manic side, more on the depressive side, rapid cycling/slow cycling, etc.) - but sometimes meds can be titrated a bit - although that kind of "tweaking" carries with it risks you may already be well acquainted with. However, if you can find a willing psychiatrist or physician and a nutritionist and get them working together, perhaps that could be valuable (I'm sorry I don't know anything about the Danish system so this may be stupid was well as ignorant input.)

Outside of that, a vegan diet, with low or no added fat will sometimes enable weight loss while on certain medications used to treat bipolar disorder, lithium among them - SSRI meds are very difficult but I have known two people who have adopted that diet and been able to lose a few pounds (not much) and then stabilize.

And the exercise is very, very good. Agree with adding some lifting as you can.
    Sounds reasonable. I´m going to see the doc today, will mention the possibility of going to a nutritionist. And I´m mostly on the depressive side (am doing very well mentaly on the medication, wich I am very grateful for!) and on rapid cycling. I don´t know if I can manage a strictly vegan diet, but I will try to eat cleaner and more "green".
  • leahartmann
    Options
    Sometimes you might not be losing weight per the scale (the demon) but you are gaining health and well being which are immeasurable. I would try adding some strength training, keeping your food choices as clean as possible within your calorie allotment and make sure you get enough sleep. You're so naturally pretty!
    You´re absolutely right! I use to be thin but unhealthy, now I´m obese but way more healthy. That must be better. I do sleep very badly, something I will mention to the doctor today. But I would really not like getting another pill because of that. And you´re much to sweet. Thank you very much. :blushing:
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have lost 60lbs since June 20, 2010. Its been great! However not any easy task. I suffered from depression and anxiety...lots of med changes....then found out I suffered from Thyroiditis and put on meds for that...whack out...then finally on something that kind of works. I've been sticking with the exercise full throttle. I find that weight training, resistance (anything like just using your own body weight...squats, kicking, ect)....I do some walking, jogging, zumba....everything on DVD too.

I was in a PLATEAU if I could ever say the true meaning of being stuck for months. Granted I did eat some things I love, but still burned lots...probably was in starvation mode or something.

Started on MFP a few weeks back and down 10lbs. I'm hoping to lose 30lbs, but not sure if my body can. I'm happy, and will just continue the journey no matter what.

I suggest sticking with your meds...it can be slow weight loss, but does happen...I can attest to it. Also, try some weight training or variety of workouts to confuse your body.

Hope some of this helps.

Michelle