Not losing..what am I doing wrong??

Options
So I've been logging for about 30 days now. By the end of the second week i'd gone from 138 to 132 and I was so excited. Over the past two weeks however, the scale kept creeping back up, and today i was back at 138! Its so frustrating and I can't understand how i could lose and then gain 6 lbs.

My daily goal for 1lb/week is 1300 cals, and I've been doing insanity for the past 4 weeks (haven't skipped a single workout). I guesstimate I burn about 300cals/workout (I don't have a HR monitor to be sure), and for the most part i eat back the calories. For the most part I stay within my range. I've been drinking tons of water (100++ oz. per day) Additionally i work three 12-hr shifts a week as a nursing assistant where I am very active and on my feet the entire shift.

I will admit that I have slipped a few times, mostly on the weekends due to going out with friends and drinking too much, but I've tried to compensate by eating a little less on other days and exercising more on days i know i'll drink. I know alcohol is the worst for weight loss so I'm trying to cut back the amount and frequency that I drink. (Its tough when its a assumed in your group of friends that weekend nights= bars)

I can definitely tell that i have more muscle from doing insanity, and can see small changes in my body (I've been taking pictures once a week) Still, the scale is really discouraging.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should be doing differently??

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    So I've been logging for about 30 days now. By the end of the second week i'd gone from 138 to 132 and I was so excited. Over the past two weeks however, the scale kept creeping back up, and today i was back at 138! Its so frustrating and I can't understand how i could lose and then gain 6 lbs.

My daily goal for 1lb/week is 1300 cals, and I've been doing insanity for the past 4 weeks (haven't skipped a single workout). I guesstimate I burn about 300cals/workout (I don't have a HR monitor to be sure), and for the most part i eat back the calories. For the most part I stay within my range. I've been drinking tons of water (100++ oz. per day) Additionally i work three 12-hr shifts a week as a nursing assistant where I am very active and on my feet the entire shift.

I will admit that I have slipped a few times, mostly on the weekends due to going out with friends and drinking too much, but I've tried to compensate by eating a little less on other days and exercising more on days i know i'll drink. I know alcohol is the worst for weight loss so I'm trying to cut back the amount and frequency that I drink. (Its tough when its a assumed in your group of friends that weekend nights= bars)

I can definitely tell that i have more muscle from doing insanity, and can see small changes in my body (I've been taking pictures once a week) Still, the scale is really discouraging.

So you should be netting about 1600-1800 daily?
    Correct?

Are you?
  • jldeal
    jldeal Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure you are getting the calories you need and eating what you take off is fine. The one thing I noticed is you said you try to make up for the days you went over by eating less the next day. I understand thinking that ,but you need to have at least 1200 calories a day for your body to not think you are starving yourself. If your body thinks it's being starved, it will store fat. You are doing good with the working out more on the days you know you will be going out, but definitely keep trying to cut back on the alcohol and stay at your 1300 calories. What are you eating for breakfast and meals? Greek yogurt is a wonderful breakfast....it seriously keeps me full til lunch. Oatmeal is another good breakfast. A good rule of thumb is to stay away from sugar and pasta/bread. I eat a lot of green lettuce, broccoli, and chicken. Fish and pretty much any other vegtable/fruit is good for you and you can eat a lot before you reach your calorie intake. Uncle Ben's ready rice is another good lunch/dinner to have. Try to make daily goals instead of weekly goals........Take it day by day. You also have to remember that you are building muscle with your workouts. Fat doesn't keep your metabolism going, muscle does so keep up with your workouts. The most important thing to remember is that no matter how much you work out, if your diet isn't healthy and at your calorie goal, you will not loose weight.....also make sure you are measuring everything - don't guess. Make sure that when you are out drinking to use diet soda or fresca with mixed drinks and drink miller light or mich ultra for beer. Those have the least amount of calories, and of course, limit yourself on how much you are drinking. I hope this helped you a little. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Jayme Deal
  • xstarburrst
    xstarburrst Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Correct?

Are you?

Yup..usually right around 1600, give or take. Think I'm eating too little? I'm not sure if I'm estimating my exercise calories correctly, so I could be burning more. Also, i feel like the day that I'm at work I should be eating more as I stand/walk/move patients for 12 hours. I'm just worried about eating too much and being counter productive since overeating is what put me in this predicament to begin with..
  • xstarburrst
    Options

Correct?

Are you?

Yup..usually right around 1600, give or take. Think I'm eating too little? I'm not sure if I'm estimating my exercise calories correctly, so I could be burning more. Also, i feel like the day that I'm at work I should be eating more as I stand/walk/move patients for 12 hours. I'm just worried about eating too much and being counter productive since overeating is what put me in this predicament to begin with..

Just realized I lied. I estimate i burn about 300 per workout and MFP tells me to eat 1300 to lose 1 lb per week, so I eat 1600ish, and net 1300ish. You suggest i eat 1900-2100?
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...as a fellow member of the XX chromosome club, I know that I tend to retain water...certain times. This may be affecting you. Also, realize that if you are gaining muscle, this will show on the scale possibly as a gain (as you are finding) or no change (lose five pounds of fat + gain five pounds of muscle = no loss). I think you are doing great with the working out!! I will add that it does sound like you may be netting too few calories, especially with a more active job such as yours. Maybe try adding a post-workout drink (whey protein, chocolate milk/almond milk, Muscle Milk, etc.) for an extra 200-300 calories. It may help. Alternatively, these things take time, bodies do not always readily react to the demands of mathematics (calories in vs. calories out)...you are doing great by sticking to Insanity (which is a HELL of a workout from what I understand!) and tracking your eating, keep it up and don't let this stop you!
  • Lea_8D
    Lea_8D Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I know how it feels to be so frustrated when you are putting in the work and not getting results! The estimates that MFP and other online calculators are just estimates, both for your MR and for the calories burned. For many people it's close enough, but for others of us, we have to experiment to find the right level of cals to eat/burn. You might consider going to a fitness place that will do an RMR test to get you a more accurate number to work with.

Other than that, you can try tweaking the calories you eat (since you are working out plenty). I got out of a plateau just by changing mine by about 100-150/day. Since your weight crept back up after the initial loss, you might want to try lowering your intake by that amount and see what happens over a week or two. If nothing happens or it's worse, you could try it the other way around.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    What activity level did you choose to get to 1300 cals at a 500 cal deficit? I bet you need a higher activity level if you're working a very active job.

And since you are already working on the alcohol I won't harp on it, but it can really mess up your program. :grumble:
    People make it work so there are exceptions to the rule, but it might be what's holding you back.
  • JRO2685
    JRO2685 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If your stuck cut out alcohol and refined sugars for a week or two and see what happens. Plus if you are new to working out you are probably retaining a bunch of water.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I see on some days you have cake and cookies, I'd cut those out and choose non-processed foods instead to satisfy your carb requirements.

Secondly, I would do assessments with a measuring tape every two weeks to chronicle any changes. Sometimes peoples' measurements (waist and hips) will decrease but their weight will go up.
  • xstarburrst
    Options
    I see on some days you have cake and cookies, I'd cut those out and choose non-processed foods instead to satisfy your carb requirements.

Blah.. I know, i know. I usually do stay away..this week was an exceptionally bad week with 4th of july cookouts, friends visiting from out of town, graduation parties, etc. I know i shouldn't have indulged at all (and should stop making excuses)...but i ate so much less than what i usually would have had. Crazy how aware tracking makes you of mindless eating.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Secondly, I would do assessments with a measuring tape every two weeks to chronicle any changes. Sometimes peoples' measurements (waist and hips) will decrease but their weight will go up.

TRUE story. I lost 3" in my waist without my weight budging. It was a very frustrating month, but I stuck with the program and all of a sudden I had a woosh loss.
  • stronggirl69
    Options
    I find in the summer the heat really makes me swell so I can see a jump in the scale of like 5 pounds over night when I had a good day...then usually it takes 2-3 days to go back down....I hate weighing in the summer for just that reason...also of coarse you are building muscle so like everyone says, that weighs more than fat.
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I just looked at the progress in your pictures. Don't you see the changes from the first week?? :huh: You are doing so well! I wouldn't even worry about the scale if I were you.
  • xstarburrst
    Options
    Holy crap! Apparently complaining about not losing is the way to go. Weighed myself yesterday when i woke up and i was 130.4, and again today when i woke up and i was 128.8!
    Guess my body just needed some time to adapt.