Got a Kindle -- School me on what I should read

Options
13»

Replies

• Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The Great Gatsby is on my list... Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter started out really good and kind of flopped at the end for me, personally.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    My favorite waas catcher in the rye..

check out 50 shades.. you might learn somethin ;)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to check out the 40,000 free e-books at
    http://www.gutenberg.org/
    classics that are out of copyright, on the Canadian one I found sequels to some "traditional" fairy tales,
    de la Mare, Walter
    **** and the Beanstalk, same problem as Moby **** gets censored but...
    many others depending on what you're looking for..
    made for a good read and an untold story, to me at least, there's a few of them just get what you want.

http://gutenberg.ca/

And LOL at the last post prior to mine mentioning it as I was typing mine.

And I've just discovered that you can download Gutenberg books in Kindle format (maybe everyone else knows that, but it was new to me!). I have the Kindle app on my iPhone and iPad and have read all kinds of good stuff.
    But not Anna Karenina, I couldn't get past the first few chapters, it was just so tedious!

And have a look at ereaderlove.com - stacks of free e-books there.
  • Blondehelmet
    Blondehelmet Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Drborkbork- I also just finished reading "let's pretend this never happened" freaking hilarious! Kept getting odd looks on the tram to work from spluttering and trying not to laugh out loud! Awesome!
  • Pkiddy
    Pkiddy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Personally, i say read everything you can get your hands on. With the Nook there was some free books to download, see if the Kindle has it too. :)
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    check out 50 shades.. you might learn somethin ;)

Oh there's not much to learn that I'm not already well practiced in.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options
    To Kill A Mockingbird...one of my favorite books.

Oh & the collected works of Edgar Allen Poe...
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    check out books by Haruki Murakami
  • Octopies
    Octopies Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov, despite the taboo subject, is a really good, well-written book that is actually mentally stimulating. The man is a poet with the English language even though it was his second or third language learned.
    If creepiness ain't your thing, try "Pale Fire" by the same author.
    Nabokov is one of my favorite authors, despite falling out of my science fiction and real science bubble.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    "Lolita" by Vladimir Nabokov, despite the taboo subject, is a really good, well-written book that is actually mentally stimulating. The man is a poet with the English language even though it was his second or third language learned.
    If creepiness ain't your thing, try "Pale Fire" by the same author.
    Nabokov is one of my favorite authors, despite falling out of my science fiction and real science bubble.

Taboo and Creepy? Tell me more...I've never heard of Lolita.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's about a man having a sexual affair with his 12 year old stepdaughter. Definitely creepy and taboo.

On my Kindle I have all of Edgar Allan Poe's works, the entire Sherlock Holmes collection, and all of H.P. Lovecraft's works. Also, I'm into history, so I'm currently reading General William T. Sherman's memoirs, it's a good read and lends a very interesting perspective on history (I'm currently reading about his exploits in California during the gold rush.)

There's tons of free stuff to find, just wander the Kindle Store. I just downloaded a free textbook on Latin grammar.
  • free2live72003
    Options
    The Jungle--can't remember the author
  • Octopies
    Octopies Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    The Jungle--can't remember the author
    Upton Sinclair :D
  • MEMA5
    MEMA5 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    JAMES PATERSON BOOKS ARE GOOD, PATRICIA CORNWELL, I AGREE WITH 50 SHADES OF GRAY WAS BORING..GOOD LUCK
  • ZarrX86
    ZarrX86 Posts: 38
    Options
    Little Women
    Tom Sawyer
    Scarlet Letter
    Alices adventure in wonderland.

All free, just google best free kindle books and amazon gives a huge list of them
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Yes, read To Kill a Mockingbird again!
    CS Lewis Chronicles of Narnia
    CS Lewis' sci-fi series was just released to e-books, too
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    The Game of Thrones books by George RR Martin are REALLY good. the Way of Shadows by Brent Weeks is very good too. Call of the Wild by Jack London is good too :D Life of Pii by Yann Martell is also so good :flowerforyou:

Happy reading!!!
  • Klamber26
    Klamber26 Posts: 212
    Options
    Well you're a guy, so maybe these are too feminine-- but Gone with the WInd and Les Mis are must-reads.

Personal favorites that haven't been mentioned already are Slaughterhouse-five/ Cat's Cradle/ Breakfast of Champions (anything Vonnegut really) and The Master and Margarita .

You could always try out a classic western, too. Lol. In which case I recommend Lonesome Dove. Jeez, I love that book.