Son Reached Goal!

Options
tlwonn
tlwonn Posts: 13 Member
Just had to "toot" my son's horn...He found and started using this website in June and this week reached his goal, having lost 43 lbs. He is an athlete and has a larger frame, so dropping this weight has made a huge difference. When he started he weighed 225 lbs. He is 12 years old (going to be 13 in January) a 7th grader, 5'9" and now 182 lbs. He looks great and feels awesome about his accomplishment. Many are shocked that a "child" his age could do this...however, it was easy for him as he held himself accountable and logged his food intake every day, along with usually some sort of activity, be it baseball/football or basketball. It has been a fantastic learning tool for him as well, as he learned about moderate sodium intake, etc. I think what he has gained from this experience will take him far in his adulthood!

Anyway, I just had to share that I absolutely love this website and have officially started my own journey this week!

Replies

• jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Congrats to your son!!!! That is amazing!
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Congrats to your son!!! I'm PROUD of him!! Toot away!!!
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Thats GREAT! That says a lot about your sons charachtor and determination.

That also says a lot about you. You are encouraging your family to be healthy! Thats a lifestyle change!

I teach high school and when I see how little kids know about nutrition it amazes me!

GREAT JOB to you both :smile:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    That's awesome - my son turned 13 in June - I know how proud you are!
  • tlwonn
    Options
    Thanks all! You know...it was a bit of a delicate situation in the beginning as I didn't want to damage his self-esteem, etc...but, in the long run...he has benefited so much and the fact that he ultimately took control was fantastic. Every now and again, I needed to remind him to make sure he was measuring and logging in food (from my prior experience!)...and now, he has taken complete control and will ask for my help, should he feel the need for some back-up...It doesn't look like there is a way to post pictures...but the difference in the way he looks is truly amazing!
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    MOM - Be proud! That is amazing and he should be congratulated! It's not an easy task to take off weight but at that age he's tempted by all sorts of goodies. Good for him & good for you for being a supportive mom.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Congrats to your son! That is amazing!
  • newDZ
    newDZ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    wow so glad your son reached his goal.... and look at you "proud parent". i love it.

may we all reach our goals and have loving people cheering us on...
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    that is great congrats!!
  • JennCh
    JennCh Posts: 63
    Options
    My son is 12 (will turn 13 in March), is 5'10" and weighs right around 180. He, too, is very athletic and has always been a bit self-conscious about being so much taller and bigger than other boys his age. Recently, after I made the goal to run a 5K and achieved my goal, he began joining me in the garage to work out with me. He started P90X and is doing great. While he doesn't log his food intake, he does watch what he eats and is doing a better job of bypassing the unhealthy foods. I can see him standing taller and owning his height and build. Both have been extremely helpful on the football field as well as on the basketball court and the track. He didn't really understand this until this year when he found out he was more powerful than the other boys.

I truly believe we as parents set the stage, and our kids will see our accomplishments and want the same for themselves. I think it's great that your son lost the weight and is very aware of what he's eating. This is only going to help him in the future.
  • tlwonn
    Options
    Wow! They sound like they could almost be twins...It is definitely an advantage being a larger kid for some sports...however, mine has had to find his new "center" if you will...as he has been used to hauling all that weight around! His size, like your son's...makes them wonderful for football, in fact...my son was born on the Super Bowl in 1997...And yes, we are Packer fans! ;-)

We're going to start working on speed and agility at the place we work out...it's fun to have him to work out with...I'm on Day #5...soooo, hopefully by Spring...we both will be maintaining!

Good luck to you and your son...P90X is a great workout for the kids...in fact, our place that we work out utilizes some of the moves, etc...
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    YEAH FOR HIM! that is awesome, What a cool deal for him to get it under control at such a young age! Kudos!
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!!!
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Congrats to your son! that is a great job... By working hard and doing whatever it takes to accomplish a goal is a tremendous confidence booster. And now he can compare that experience to anything in life. If he wants to achieve a goal, he now knows he can and what kind of effort it takes.
  • JennCh
    JennCh Posts: 63
    Options
    Wow! They sound like they could almost be twins...It is definitely an advantage being a larger kid for some sports...however, mine has had to find his new "center" if you will...as he has been used to hauling all that weight around! His size, like your son's...makes them wonderful for football, in fact...my son was born on the Super Bowl in 1997...And yes, we are Packer fans! ;-)

We're going to start working on speed and agility at the place we work out...it's fun to have him to work out with...I'm on Day #5...soooo, hopefully by Spring...we both will be maintaining!

Good luck to you and your son...P90X is a great workout for the kids...in fact, our place that we work out utilizes some of the moves, etc...

I thought the same thing (your son/my son being twins) when I read your post. My son has had to deal with being big since second grade. At times, I think the teachers forgot what his real age is and treated him as an older boy. This only made him more self-conscious. He used to round his shoulders to appear shorter, and he always wore baggy clothes to cover his bulk. Finally, last year during his first year of football, he had a great coach who helped him see his size is a good thing. He, like your son, is still trying to harness the potential he has, so he's working on balance, core, and overall strength. It's fun seeing the improvement with each additional day he spends working out. I think both boys will one day be very glad they started early and learned how to make their lives healthy lives.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!