Phone call at work = upset me

Options
2»

Replies

• tinksmommy2006
    Options
    You have no reason to be upset hun. this women is the one without any brain cells. She was stupid for not picking up the phone. she is just mad that she was an idiot and missed out on something and she took it out on you. sucks that she did it, but don't fret...she is the idiot..not you. and please don't ever think of your self as "just a receptionist". I would love to have your job...been trying to get into that position for years. I love to work with people....even her kind ;)
  • Killing_Perfection
    Killing_Perfection Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That's sadly what happens all too often when you work with people. I work in a supermarket for some extra money and the things I've seen in these past almost five years.... *shakes head* Just last week someone grabbed some of our salads, ripped it into shreds, spread it all around the supermarket and confronted with my boss, called her a lowly ***** and all kinds of nice things. She even wanted to beat her up with her umbrella - I mean, what the hell?! I don't understand why people have to behave like that, I never insult others just because I'm having a nasty day, especially when they're just doing their job. Hell, the first day of my job someone actually managed to insult me to the point I started crying, and I'm by no means someone easily offended or whatever....

It's a pity, and I can understand why you're so upset, but there's just no changing some people.
  • BVannillie
    BVannillie Posts: 140
    Options
    I've worked in customer-facing jobs since I was 16 and people are rude all the time. I don't want to sound mean but you really need a thick skin when you are dealing with the public, no matter if it's face to face or over the phone. People are rude, and they will take their issues out on you simply because they can. I got fired from a job once because a man was so rude to me and I burst into tears and they said it wasn't professional, which is true. You have to do what I, and everyone else has to do, man up.

I don't want to make you feel bad, I just want to give you advice that will actually work. Do you want your boss thinking you cant make a phone call without getting upset? Because unfortunately most bosses won't sympathise with you. And try and think of a time when maybe you've snapped at someone for reasons which weren't to do with them. We've all done it.

Just remember that once you put the phone down you don't have to deal with them any more, they are not your problem. What they say has no bearing on your life.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    Every day I have people yelling at me over the phone. It's not because I'm stupid, it's because they can't control their tempers. If part of your job is to phone out (part of my job entails calling our insurance customers a couple of days before their policies cancel for non-payment and giving them a courtesy reminder) then unfortunately, in today's world, you have to develop a thick skin. Sad, but that's how it is today. People love to take their frustrations/embarrassment/forgetfulness etc out on the poor sap whose job it is to remind them of something.
  • bestbeth1
    bestbeth1 Posts: 6
    Options
    No1 should have that kind of power over YOUR emotions. :)
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm a receptionist and sometimes people are horrible.
    What I have found helped was going on a 'handling aggressive people' course.
    Finding out what steps my organisation allowed/encouraged me to take - e.g 2 warnings about their language/aggression and then you can hang up on them.
    Although a certain amount of bad behaviour is expected there is a limit to what you should be expected to take.
    At the time I find taking a 5 minute toilet break to calm down helps.

I sympathise, I find what upsets me depends on how sensitive I am feeling rather than how bad they are. Also you do toughen up over time.

Its not nice though.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    TheDreadPirateRoberts Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    it really wasn't about you, so cheer up

Try and remember this. The person involved screwed up and didnt want to take responsibility and wanted to blame you, probably in the hope they can get a place by doing so. As you have done, I'd report it and I would not call her back. If they contacted me, I'd say that you've reported her to your manager as you are not here to take that sort of abuse and that you will not discuss it further until your manager returns.

The world is full of pillucks sadly.
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Thats the thing, its a community centre where I work and its a very people friendly, happy caring environment and so far in a year everyone who attends the centre understands this. We do all sorts of things. The course we are running is a baby first aid free of charge, we have summer and christmas parties with food, bouncy castles entertainment etc which again we dont charge for.
    We will always help out to be best of our abilities and im the same if i can do something that will maybe help someone out even a little then I will.
    In a year she is the first person who has ever acted like that because of this I dont know our companies policy on agressive people either face 2 face or on the phone, because we rarely get them.

I know I need a thick skin working with the public and I previously worked in a call centre cold calling so iv been there before etc, I think the main problem was that I was not at all prepared for it to happen and didnt know if I was able to give this lady a warning about her language and put the phone down or not.

I will be asking my boss about this on her return.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    unfortunately some people are just mean to be mean. They have bad attitudes and like to complain and put others down. I am sorry that you had to go through this, and I hope it doesnt ruin your whole day.
  • vicky1804
    vicky1804 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    What i really want to do is go for a run, but that will have to wait until after work. Think i will go down by the river, as its nice, quiet and relaxing for me x
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    That's a good idea. Do something for you, just for you, that makes you feel good and try and forget about it. We all have days where bad stuff happens, but don't let it ruin your entire day :)
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda sensitive and so I get pretty upset when that happens to me. I'm a retail manager and even though I have a thick skin, there's some people that just...they just know how to push one's buttons.
    I should practice what I preach and not take it personal, its about them and their hangups, not you.
    But what's a rota?
  • lexoxoc
    lexoxoc Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am SO sorry! People like that are just angry at their own lives! You have every right to feel how you feel! Keep your chin up!