People Eating 1200 a Day

Options
This is day 2 for me counting calories. I'm sitting here eating a Michelinas Lean Gourmet & it is gross! Would some of you that have been eating 1200 calories for a while add me or direct me to your food diary so I can get some better meal ideas?
Thanks!

Replies

• ccarre81
    ccarre81 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    you can add me.
  • Corian3105
    Corian3105 Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi, I think my diary is open, feel free to have a look :)
  • kathyp72
    kathyp72 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi! I am in the same situation. I have been counting 1200 cals for the last 5 days. It certainly is NOT a lot of food. I am getting a wake up call as to just how much I overeat! I have been playing with food also. You can certainly add me. I am 5'4" and 189.4 starting weight. I am trying to lose 65 pounds. I am slowly adding exercise in the form of a stationary bike to ease into this new lifestyle. I have not been eating my exercise calories. We'll see how it goes! Good luck! Kathy
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat prepackaged food.

Look for example:
    - 4 oz chicken breast is 120 calories. If you put some lemon pepper or w/e herbs and grill, that's pretty low.
    - 1/2 cup of brown rice is about 80 calories
    - vegetables (if you're into that) has to be low
    - get those low cal salad dressings that are like 35 cals/tbsp

- sirloin 4 oz is about 211 calories
    - medium potato is about 161
    - ff sour cream is about 30 cals per 2 tbsp
    - wedge of that Laughing Cow low fat cheese is about 35 cals
    - broccoli should be pretty low

you can always get recipes, break them down into ingredients and make it work to your calorie advantage.
  • vsecret921
    vsecret921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 calories and the scale didn't budge. i am now eating around 1500 and it started to move the next day! Try upping it a little :) best of luck! Add me if you're like :)
  • teez52
    teez52 Posts: 104 Member
    Options

Look for example:
    - 4 oz chicken breast is 120 calories. If you put some lemon pepper or w/e herbs and grill, that's pretty low.
    - 1/2 cup of brown rice is about 80 calories
    - vegetables (if you're into that) has to be low
    - get those low cal salad dressings that are like 35 cals/tbsp

- sirloin 4 oz is about 211 calories
    - medium potato is about 161
    - ff sour cream is about 30 cals per 2 tbsp
    - wedge of that Laughing Cow low fat cheese is about 35 cals
    - broccoli should be pretty low

you can always get recipes, break them down into ingredients and make it work to your calorie advantage.

This! Prepackaged food will almost always be more calories and less tasty than food you can cook yourself.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    1200 is going to slow your metabolism way down, and you will end up gaining the weight back because it's too low to sustain. It is NOT a lot of food! I would find another calculator and figure out a number that's a bit higher and more sustainable. :-)
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    stfuriada is right on.

There are people here (myself included) who will recommend increasing your intake, at least a little bit, as 1200 is the lowest you should go, and that's not always healthy. However, whether you're eating 1200 or 1400 or whatever, you'll get the most bang for your caloric buck if you stick to more whole foods instead of pre-packaged ones. Fruits and vegetables, lean meats, fresh salads, etc. Eating more whole foods will also decrease your sodium intake (unless you load your food with salt), which is also healthier for most people. And you can tailor the flavor to suit your tastes just by adding spices. Homemade salad dressing is easy to make, delicious, and much lower in sugar and calories than store-bought.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    This is day 2 for me counting calories. I'm sitting here eating a Michelinas Lean Gourmet & it is gross! Would some of you that have been eating 1200 calories for a while add me or direct me to your food diary so I can get some better meal ideas?
    280 calories - two slices of grilled bacon and a fried egg would sit well inside that, and have virtually no carbs either. Win.
  • Exill
    Exill Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Stay away from processed foods in general and watch your butter/oil/sauces intake. I have a huge sweet tooth so I eat a lot of fruit and granola and I enjoy it a lot more than processed junkfood that I used to eat like candy and sodas. I make all my own sweets now as I found I could make more delicious desserts than I could buy in a store. I began to choose quality over quantity. I told you I have a sweet tooth, ha, I'm not giving any tips on actual meals. I guess I'm more of a snacker now. I lost 30 pounds and find 1200 calories enough now. Your body will adjust!
  • vanessagardner01
    vanessagardner01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    HI All
    My biggest tip is weigh your food before you cook it! This has been one of the single biggest factors for me in changing what I do. You inevitably underestimate what you eat otherwise. I'm talking about meat, pasta, rice and potatoes in particular.
    Do eat your exercise calories back as much as you can, If you think 1200 isn't a lot than walk/use an exercise bike. I've lost just shy of 2 stone have lost inches off hips, thighs etc but diet wise I'm eating largely what I want but menu planning so I can treat myself when I need to. I make home-made pizzas rather than buying shop bought and avoid pre packed 'slimming' foods like the plague!
  • vanessagardner01
    vanessagardner01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    1200 is going to slow your metabolism way down, and you will end up gaining the weight back because it's too low to sustain. It is NOT a lot of food! I would find another calculator and figure out a number that's a bit higher and more sustainable. :-)

Totally disagree, it depends on your build and activity level - agreed I wouldn't go below this but its not too low to sustain.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Statements like this are just not true for everyone. For smaller women, 1200 is perfectly appropriate. I'm netting 1200 and that only projects a 1.4 lb loss per week. And usually I lose .75 to 1 lb. But, eating at NET 1200 is important. On non-workout days, I allow myself up to 1400 calories (about what I think my BMR is) because an actual 1200 is hard for me to maintain.
  • RachelWest86
    Options
    I've been at 1200 calories since I started this journey 85 days ago. I only wanted to lose 10 pounds, mostly to be bikini-ready. I had lost 8.5 pounds until a couple of weeks ago when my mentality switched to "I'm near my goal, I can loosen up." Now that the scale is moving in the wrong direction (I gained 1.5 pounds on that mentality), I'm re-committing to staying under my calorie goal and working out more regularly. I *DO* eat back my exercise calories for the most part, but try to stick with healthy foods instead of ice cream.

There are a lot of low-calorie snacks that I munch on throughout the day so I'm not as hungry come mealtimes--Weight Watchers has excellent 100 calorie snacks, and carrots and fruits will never steer you wrong.

When it comes to meals, I try to cook, but my husband and I both work full-time and are full-time graduate students, so our time is very limited when it comes to meal preparation (and gym time). Grocery shopping now takes FOREVER because we look at the nutrition information on EVERYTHING. We end up eating a lot of pre-packaged foods, but we keep an eye on calories, cholesterol, and sodium.

I agree with others that you may be better off raising your intake by a few hundred calories, at least to get you started so that you don't feel as deprived, and to make it easier to come in under your goal for the day (I get terribly discouraged and beat myself up when I go over).

Good luck!
  • SerahLaffere
    SerahLaffere Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I eat what I like, just smaller portions! :)
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

I eat a ton of food and stay at 1200, you just have to pick the right types of foods. And making generalizations about everyone's metabolism isn't the best idea. I'm under a doctor and nutritionists care and they have me on a very healthy 1200 calorie diet and I'm loosing about 1 pound a week. Everyone is different. The more active you are the higher your metabolism will be and the more you should eat, but don't generalize that all people who eat 1200 calories are going to hurt their metabolism and gain the weight back.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    For the OP, netting 1200 is fairly easy if you workout and eat your calories back. I struggle on the days I don't work out, so I allow myself 1400 on those days. But, I try to work out 5 times a week, so its usually only 2 days that I up my net target.

Lean meats are FANTASTIC for giving you a large volume of filling food without a lot of calories. Our grocery store has small rotisserie chickens for about $5. Last night we had that, mashed potatoes, corn and carrots. I piled a bunch of chicken on my plate, thinking it was about 4 to 5 oz. And it was only 2.2 LOL. I take the scale to the table with me. My kids think I'm weird, but its made them more aware of the volume they're eating. Fruit and veggies of course are great too. But I can easily get treats into my day too. I love Skinny Cow chocolate. I keep almonds to snack on at my desk (that was HARD to get used to limiting myself but now I count out a serving and that's all I eat). I drink a protein shake from Costco to help with my protein since I don't love meat. Frosted mini wheats are full of nutrition and satisfy my sweet tooth too. And Hungry Howie's cheese pizza is only 200 calories per slice. I get mine with green peppers.

Being able to eat more calories is a HUGE motivator for me to work out. I went running last night for about 55 minutes (45 running, 10 cool down/warm up). I burned 711 calories according to my HRM. I went running after work and before dinner. I had 128 calories left for the day before that, and then I went home for dinner with over 800 calories available!
  • michellesz
    michellesz Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I am on this diary setting as well and am 5'10' and 172.6 lbs. I strive to eat back a portion of my exercise calories within reason and with good healthy foods (not just any foods to increase the numbers). Probably averaging 1300-1400+ daily. I am eating all day long with tons of food and am never hungry. I eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and sometimes snack. Maybe I am choosing filling foods (with lots of protein, fresh fruits and veggies) but am always content and never craving. Some days my calories are lower (but not under allotted) and some days over by several (exercise calories) but bringing a nice balance to the week. I lost 5 pounds to start, but pretty much consistently have lost approximately 2 pounds a week with a total loss of 28 pounds in 11 weeks and several inches and very toned. Stay clear of the pre-packaged food (agree with stfuriada and others post). If you link the sodium, you will probably be shocked at how much preservatives and sodium are in those frozen foods and pre-packaged foods and as you stated, taste like crap. I feel part of what has made this work is pre-planning and follow through. Feel free to add me and check out my diary. Honestly, not to be blunt, BUT you only ate cheetos for lunch yesterday. Not healthy. ~ baked or not.
  • Leesa808
    Leesa808 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    After reading this post, I just increased my calories to 1380 per day, from 1200. I lost 30 pound and every ten pounds I lost mfp decreased my calories. so I was down to 1200 calories per day and the scale has not moved in 4 weeks. so maybe this is what I needed to do. onyl time will tell. thanks for the post!
  • bwdcjk
    bwdcjk Posts: 96 Member
    Options

In fact, you really shouldn't and expect to lose weight. I used those Lean Cuisine and Weight Watcher frozen meals for attempted weight loss many times over the years, as have many people I know, and no one has ever lost any significant amount of weight eating those. They are filled with so many preservatives that make it impossible to really be eating healthy.

Most of my calorie cut comes from using Visalus or Body by Vi meal replacement protein shakes. There are plenty of nay-sayers about meal replacement shakes but it works for me. They are less that $2.00 per meal which is the same or less than those frozen meals but, again, you honestly are not going to lose on those. I do two shakes a day (breakfast and lunch) and, depending on what I mix my shake with, they range between 100 - 250 cals each. I pretty much work those calories off in my daily workouts leaving me most of my 1200 calories for dinner and snacks. I try to keep my snacks around 100 - 150 cals each (apples, celery, usually with pb).

Another time when I was dieting, for lunch I had a boneless, skinless baked chicken breast, a medium baked potato (w/ Molly McButter spuds) and I think a cup or more of baby spinach (with one of those Kraft spritzer dressings). My boss asked me how many calories that all was...she was having a Lean Cuisine that day. We looked it all up online and my huge plate of food was like 320 or so calories, which was the same as her little tiny frozen meal. I was more than stuffed on what I ate and those frozen meals never filled me up. So, with eating some good, healthy, real foods (not processed, frozen) you can feel way more satisfied while staying at or under 1200 calories.

Stick with it - you will find what works for you. Good luck!