Develop allergies to meat

Options
Hello everyone! This will be my first post!

Ever since I switched to a totally new lifestyle of eating right and exercising religiously, I've really cut back on eating meat. I still eat a modest amount of chicken but really cut back on beef.

I've noticed the last few times I've had beef my sinuses have gone haywire. Someone suggested that I may be developing an allergy to beef.

Is it possible that this is the case? I know that adults can develop allergies later in life but I find it interesting that it coincides with my "new" active lifestyle.

Thanks for lending an ear! Stay the course everyone! It's definitely worth it!

Replies

• mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    A person's allergies change about every seven years, so it is very possible. Are you put a seasoning on it that could be triggering it?
  • 70moretogo
    70moretogo Posts: 25
    Options
    It is true that anyone can develop an allergy at any stage in life. However, you may have a similar problem to mine. I have cut back on all milk products and starting consuming almond milk and lactose free products. Now when I consume milk products I pay for it. It actually makes me physically ill. I don't think I have developed an allergy as much as an intolerance for milk. So this just might be your bodies way of telling you to stay away from beef.

I wish I could develop an allergy like yours. :)
  • FloatingNee
    FloatingNee Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to both beef and chicken so it is possible to have these allergies. Also, a milk allergy is often found with a beef sensitivity.

I have found that if I eat the leanest cut of meat and have it well done the reaction is not as bad. At this point though meat can be pretty tasteless so it taught me that I really just like the seasoning or sauce on the meat. Now I just season potatoes or broccoli like I used to season meat and I discovered the flavor of the seasoning was all I really wanted (not the meat).
  • swill40
    swill40 Posts: 6
    Options
    If I remember correctly, 2 of the reactions came from having a Hebrew National hot dog and the other came from having a small filet from Outback.
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475
    Options
    Have you ever been bitten by a Lone Star Tick? I've heard reports from CNN and other places that a bite from this type of tick can cause meat (particularly red meat) allergies. Just a thought.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/20/health/meat-tick-bite-allergy/index.html
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    What did you the eat with the possibly-offending meat? It's much more common to have a wheat/soy/milk allergy than it is a meat allergy.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    When I was younger 7-14 I was lactose intolerant and celiac then I was fine till about 20 then the lactose sensitivity came and I am now also unable to eat beef of any kind so I stick with bison and other game meats.
  • swill40
    Options
    Have you ever been bitten by a Lone Star Tick? I've heard reports from CNN and other places that a bite from this type of tick can cause meat (particularly red meat) allergies. Just a thought.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/20/health/meat-tick-bite-allergy/index.html

Luckily no tick bites... but wow! That's fascinating!
  • swill40
    Options
    What did you the eat with the possibly-offending meat? It's much more common to have a wheat/soy/milk allergy than it is a meat allergy.

With the hot dogs it was just your run-of-the-mill bun and with the Outback filet it was just veggies on the side.