I am very discouraged!

Options

Replies

• carrieo888
    carrieo888 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Failing at something does not equate to BEING a failure. You should not judged yourself by the obstacles you face, but how you overcome the obstacles.

Here's my all time favorite missive: If you fall down half a flight of stairs, do you pick yourself up and throw yourself down the rest of the way?

Get up, shake it off, and DO IT. Supportive friends are good to have, but they can not be held accountable for your choices. Only YOU can motivate YOU.

Good luck!
  • SueMizZou
    SueMizZou Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    It is easy to get into a negative mindset. It is also possible to talk yourself out of it. I helps me to make a plan, what do I have to do to change things. It sounds as if you are pretty isolated. You can expand your horizons by taking action. Volunteer work helped me. I made a lot of new acquaintances. Suddenly I had people to have lunch with and have coffee with. It is not easy when you don't feel good about yourself but there are lots of worthwhile things to do. One that might help, that I know attracts a lot of younger people in my town is volunteering at the humane society. Ours even has a program called "walk a hound lose a pound." A new venture would help
  • tasiamere
    tasiamere Posts: 233
    Options
    Your friend might not be nearby, but we're all right here. Make a habit of logging in and staying connected to all of your MFP family. I've never been more motivated than when I interact with like minded folks here! You can do this!!!

Completely agreed. My two biggest motivators moved to NYC and Oregon. I was a mess; unfocused, unmotivated and pretty down. Found MFP and the people on here I "met" are awesome! I also make it a point to try and video chat (skype or oovoo) with my sister and BFF as often as I can. Good luck and keep your chin up. Log in even if just for the forums. You'll get some pretty awesome feedback just from there.
  • Vickiesings
    Options
    I feel that way a lot! I have a lot of weight to lose. I am new to this site but have been trying to lose weight for a while....exercising and cutting way back. We can do it!!!!
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I have not been doing so well here lately. I haven't visited this site in weeks. I have a very supportive friend, but we live far apart and it is not as easy to stay on track as it would be if she lived near me. I just feel like a complete failure. :( Anyone ever feel this way?
    :flowerforyou:
    I understand what you're feeling. I think we all have felt that way sometime or other, and all wanted to just give up. But I hope you won't!!!

You have to make the decision and then stick with it, even when you are over. The commitment is to you, not to anyone else! Think before you do, or don't do! I know you have what it takes! Yes, it takes courage and determination, but you have that already, so it's time to renew your commitment to you and your health. Just check in every day. We're not judging you, we're here to encourage you! Come on, stick with us and you'll be back on track in no time!
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    not visiting the site in weeks doesn't help much...make a commitment
  • katstartingover
    Options
    I understand how you feel. I was feeling that way a few weeks ago when I know how hard I was trying and nothing was happening. Just don't give up. And you still have all of us here for support. I'll help you if you want the help. I'll support you when you're down and celebrate when you're doing well. Just remember to visit the site every day. You can do this...
  • jrs5444
    jrs5444 Posts: 86
    Options
    I have not been doing so well here lately. I haven't visited this site in weeks. I have a very supportive friend, but we live far apart and it is not as easy to stay on track as it would be if she lived near me. I just feel like a complete failure. :( Anyone ever feel this way?
    I think we all get down on ourselves from time to time. My recommendation is to try to change your mindset. Hold yourself accountable and you alone. Treat your fitness lifestyle just like you would a job. What happens if you don't show up to work? Don't make excuses just go out and do it. That's my two cents anyway.

Awesome advice! =) I know it's hard but sometimes we just have to make ourselves do it...trust me, it took me a lot of talking to myself to drag my booty out of bed at 5:00 this morning to run...BUT I feel so much better that I did! Ultimately, it's up to you to do what you know you need to do...but some friends, whether in "real" life or on here are nice to have around for support and encouragement--honestly, my favorite friends on here are the ones who give me a swift kick in the rear when I'm not doing what I know I should! Good luck!
  • alawilliams
    Options
    Oh how I have had this EXACT feeling so many times. I literally go thru cycles where I get down and very depressed because I'm just not loosing as fast or as much as I want to. I even considered an antidepressant. BUT, I had to come to terms with myself that this is what I want and I had to put my head in the game. MFP members are so encouraging. Don't let yourself get into a mind set that your a failure.... YOU'RE NOT. Your here, log in EVERY DAY and just read everyones success and you will get the motivation your looking for. This is how I have gotten this far. Keep your head up, you can do this.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If you want it, you will work for it. If you don't you will make excuses.

Be commited or be unsuccessful.
  • Nailrep
    Nailrep Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Yep, but you are back! So today is a new day in a life long journey for fitness. I really have a hard time right now not losing, but I'm trying to remember that sooner or later, things will kick in!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    You are MORE than able to go at it alone. You don't necessairly need someone to be there beside you, cheering you on or working out with you to push you--push yourself and they will cheer you on from afar when they comment on your posted workouts! You might just need to set some personal goals.

I have a personal experience with this: I have been on a weight loss journey for 4 years and I started ALL by myself. I realized it was up to ME to go to the gym and get the workouts in--my friends weren't going to workout FOR me and I'd lose the weight from them... I had to do it myself. I set a personal goal that I not only wanted to lose weight, but I wanted to be HEALTHIER--when I started my journey, I was having digestive problems (indigestion and heartburn) and REALLY bad anxiety attacks and depression. When I talked to my dr, I was handed a perscription. I didn't want to be someone on perscription medications for the rest of my life, so I turned to exercise and now, ALL of my listed health problems have gone away. Also, I am pursing a career in the medical field-I didn't want to be that nurse telling patients they need to lose weight, and I, myself, am overweight--where's the credibility in that? Doing this by myself has taught me A LOT about myself--I am not only more confident because I've lost 50lbs and kept it off, but I'm confident in knowing WHO I am and what I'm capable of doing--I HATED HATED HATED running as a kid (I was a chunky kid as well) and if you would have told me when I was 253lbs that in 4 years I was going to run a half-marathon--I would have looked at you crazy, but I completed my first one in March of this year and am registered for a 2nd and 3rd and am proud to say that I can keep up with my SUPER atheletic sister now! And have inspired people around me (people who would complain when I'd skip hanging out with them to hit the gym) to begin their own healthy journey.

So maybe you just need to look inside yourself and figure out WHY you want to begin this journey and make a/some goal(s) and just take it 1-ONE-1 day at a time...don't think about tomorrow or the next day, just think about TODAY and doing what's right for you and your health TODAY! You have HUGE support system here on MFP, so if you don't know something- ASK! And just start small-- "Doing SOMETHING is better than doing NOTHING". Like today: I'm going to eat a healthier dinner or this week, I'm only going to eat out once, or this week, I'm going to walk a mile a day...whatever you think you can do, but just DO IT!

You CAN do it alone- without your friend being next to you! Hope this helps!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of good advice on this thread.

First...you cannot fail unless you stop trying.

Second...your posting today shows that you haven't given up...that you don't want to stop trying...

Third...your posting today is a form of accountability and holding yourself accountable is one form of winning on this journey. Don't fret the bad decisions you made in the past. You can't do anything about the past. Its happened and its time to move on. Decide what you want for yourself. If you want a healthier life, then write down the things you HATE about your unhealthy life. Dig deep and find some reasons that will hit home so that you can read that list every day. That should give you motivation to make good choices that day.

Take it one day at a time and for one day make a promise to yourself to make healthy decisions for the entire day....and then make the same promise tomorrow. You can do this one day at a time. You have an amazing story to write...so begin writing it. Write a page everyday. By the end of the book, you will have written something amazing and you will be a success story on this site! There's no doubt you can do it IF you believe you can. You can if you want it bad enough.

Good luck to you!
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I think we all get down on ourselves from time to time. My recommendation is to try to change your mindset. Hold yourself accountable and you alone. Treat your fitness lifestyle just like you would a job. What happens if you don't show up to work? Don't make excuses just go out and do it. That's my two cents anyway.

Awesome advice! =) I know it's hard but sometimes we just have to make ourselves do it...trust me, it took me a lot of talking to myself to drag my booty out of bed at 5:00 this morning to run...BUT I feel so much better that I did! Ultimately, it's up to you to do what you know you need to do...but some friends, whether in "real" life or on here are nice to have around for support and encouragement--honestly, my favorite friends on here are the ones who give me a swift kick in the rear when I'm not doing what I know I should! Good luck!

THIS
  • Luv2Knt
    Luv2Knt Posts: 5
    Options
    Discouraged is not even close to how I feel. I am sad and disappointed with myself. I have flunked out of weight watchers like five times - the last time I joined I watched the scale go up (and my pants get tighter) while my husband dropped 35 pounds. I am in my last semester of graduate school - so daily exercise is not always possibe - though when I am done next month daily exercise is a promise to myself I am not breaking. I used to be a runner but knee surgery and arthritis now limit that to 2 miles once a week on the treadmill (ok - thats better than no running - but hard considering I used to run 25-30 miles a week). Last year I was diagnosed with hypothyroid - which explained why my hair and nails were brittle and why my weight seemed to go up on a dialy basis. I am also so very tired of hearing people tell me "you look fine" -- I may "look fine" but I do not feel fine. I am very shy so even writing this is taking a Herculean effort for me. I would appreciate a few friends to share help and support - and maybe even a kick when necessary...thx
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Discouraged is not even close to how I feel. I am sad and disappointed with myself. I have flunked out of weight watchers like five times - the last time I joined I watched the scale go up (and my pants get tighter) while my husband dropped 35 pounds. I am in my last semester of graduate school - so daily exercise is not always possibe - though when I am done next month daily exercise is a promise to myself I am not breaking. I used to be a runner but knee surgery and arthritis now limit that to 2 miles once a week on the treadmill (ok - thats better than no running - but hard considering I used to run 25-30 miles a week). Last year I was diagnosed with hypothyroid - which explained why my hair and nails were brittle and why my weight seemed to go up on a dialy basis. I am also so very tired of hearing people tell me "you look fine" -- I may "look fine" but I do not feel fine. I am very shy so even writing this is taking a Herculean effort for me. I would appreciate a few friends to share help and support - and maybe even a kick when necessary...thx
    I don't mean to come off as preachy but I wouldn't waste my time with Weight Watchers. They are fad diets and most people fail them and constantly stay hungry. I don't consider my eating habits a diet and I never go hungry and yet I still lose weight. Instead, of Weight Watchers use the free tools here on MFP and develop a healthy eating and exercise lifestyle. Make friends on here with people who are encouraging and uplifting. There are plenty of people on here including myself who have succeeded and you can too.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to come off as preachy but I wouldn't waste my time with Weight Watchers. They are fad diets and most people fail them and constantly stay hungry. I don't consider my eating habits a diet and I never go hungry and yet I still lose weight. Instead, of Weight Watchers use the free tools here on MFP and develop a healthy eating and exercise lifestyle. Make friends on here with people who are encouraging and uplifting. There are plenty of people on here including myself who have succeeded and you can too.

This is just SO right on the money - such great advice - if more people realized diets just do not work and it is about lifestyle change, I am convinced more people would succeed. When it comes to delicious food I am a champion weakling - but changing my outlook now to eating healthy, satisfying, nutrient dense meals - I NEVER feel hungry deprived or frustrated - I still eat many of the foods I love (just healthier versions in the correct portions). I feel good that I can LIVE this way - it's not just a short term way to lose weight. It's like a light bulb went on for me!
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    This is just SO right on the money - such great advice - if more people realized diets just do not work and it is about lifestyle change, I am convinced more people would succeed. When it comes to delicious food I am a champion weakling - but changing my outlook now to eating healthy, satisfying, nutrient dense meals - I NEVER feel hungry deprived or frustrated - I still eat many of the foods I love (just healthier versions in the correct portions). I feel good that I can LIVE this way - it's not just a short term way to lose weight. It's like a light bulb went on for me!
    Right on! I think people have gotten so programmed into thinking that eating right has to be difficult. It doesn't. Like you said, I still eat things that bring me joy. I am just a little more educated about when enough is enough and I know what foods are going to make me full and satisfied without making me fat.
  • Meyers2012
    Options
    well you made the first step by placing a comment on here so your not a failure, just have to get back on track and were all here to help you., and try to give you support.
  • myohana4
    myohana4 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Your friend might not be nearby, but we're all right here. Make a habit of logging in and staying connected to all of your MFP family. I've never been more motivated than when I interact with like minded folks here! You can do this!!!

^THIS

Totally this! I couldn't be doing this journey on my own. Thanks you MFP peeps!