Not losing weight because of what I eat after dinner

Options
13»

Replies

• jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Add bulk to your meals with frozen veggies. Don't be afraid to just go overboard with them. I finish an entire family sized bag of frozen veggies a day. Spaghetti squash, and sweet potatoes also are great ways to bulk up your plate without adding up the cals.
  • gottolosethisweight
    gottolosethisweight Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use to be a huge snacker. Before supper after supper while watching TV or playing a game. I have now curved it. Actually while writing this my husband is eating a bowl of ice cream and I am not. When I first started I would go and get a drink of water every time I thought of getting something to eat. I measure everything I eat and I do not go back for seconds. Then I started walking right after supper. I changed my whole routine in the evenings. Now, I feel like I have it under control and have been successfully losing. Good luck hope this helps some
  • HorseWithNoName27
    HorseWithNoName27 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hmm, not sure if it will help you but I found something that helps me. I tend to get cravings for sugary foods once I finish dinner. I set aside 150 calories per day to have two pieces of dark chocolate (86% cocoa). It takes a bit of time to eat, and it's a little bitter so it's an easy way to get a few glasses of water in as well! I find it's sweet enough to quiet my cravings for sweets, and it's a better alternative than having a Little Debbie or something like I usually did...haha.

Even if it didn't help you, I hope you find a solution soon :)
  • Skyoctober
    Skyoctober Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Stop watching tv. Seriously. There's nothing but mindless drivel on anyway (unless it's Vampire Diaries of course!). Get out for a walk after dinner. Clean some part of your house you've been neglecting. Call an old friend. Find a good book and go to bed. Do an exercise DVD. Take up a hobby that keeps your hands busy (knitting, crocheting, cross-stitching, etc).

Edit: Also, your goals are pretty hefty and you're setting yourself up to fail. With 20 lbs or less to lose, you should have your goals set to lose 1/2 a lb a week (that's only 2 lbs per month loss) and eat them all AND most of your exercise calories. If you starve yourself at this stage, your body will fight back and hang on to the weight.

I agree with the stop watching tv!!
  • smilesback
    smilesback Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to reply to most ideas to let you know that I appreciate them. I will *digest* these food for thought ideas and hopefully change how I manage after dinner. I really do follow a good diet throughout the day, not skimping on nutrition and focused on what I am trying to accomplish. Once I am tired after dinner, I just don't seem to keep going with the program. I think I will brush my teeth after dinner cuz that will really be a deterrent of some kind. Thank you all again,
    DARN! I brushed my teeth, took a walk after dinner, and ate a large orange and too many pistacchios ro my weight is back where I started. So frustrating!
  • smilesback
    Options
    I use to be a huge snacker. Before supper after supper while watching TV or playing a game. I have now curved it. Actually while writing this my husband is eating a bowl of ice cream and I am not. When I first started I would go and get a drink of water every time I thought of getting something to eat. I measure everything I eat and I do not go back for seconds. Then I started walking right after supper. I changed my whole routine in the evenings. Now, I feel like I have it under control and have been successfully losing. Good luck hope this helps some
    Thanks - Something about your resolve is inspiring - no matter what I will focus on what I need to do to stop this trend of snacking. It is killing my program.
  • smilesback
    Options
    Stop watching tv. Call an old friend. Find a good book and go to bed. Take up a hobby that keeps your hands busy (knitting, crocheting, cross-stitching, etc).
    I agree with the stop watching tv!! [/quote] OK! I will busy myself and break my mindset after dinner. THANKS!
  • smilesback
    Options
    Hmm, not sure if it will help you but I found something that helps me. I tend to get cravings for sugary foods once I finish dinner. I set aside 150 calories per day to have two pieces of dark chocolate (86% cocoa). It takes a bit of time to eat, and it's a little bitter so it's an easy way to get a few glasses of water in as well! I find it's sweet enough to quiet my cravings for sweets, and it's a better alternative than having a Little Debbie or something like I usually did...haha.

Even if it didn't help you, I hope you find a solution soon :)
    Eating chocolate is a Gun going off at the Start gate for me. I don't think I can keep that under control. I like your switch though for you!
  • smilesback
    Options
    Add bulk to your meals with frozen veggies. Don't be afraid to just go overboard with them. I finish an entire family sized bag of frozen veggies a day. Spaghetti squash, and sweet potatoes also are great ways to bulk up your plate without adding up the cals.
    You should see my dinner plate -- It is salad, then i put the entree on the smaller plate or on top instead of dressing. I couldn't agree more with you. It is something about the after dinner time that is knocking my socks off! Humph - I have to do something different, anything, besides snacking on high calorie foods then. thanks for your help, :)
  • christiangandy
    christiangandy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    firstly, do not eat so few calories.....and secondly throw the snacks in the bleeping bin......i was exactly the same, you have to be hard on urself, drink a huge mug of green tea (allowed to stew) the sesation on the pallet becomes just as gratifying as a snack, because the harshness of it when stewed is very effective, as it is simply withdrawal symptoms that you are feeling at night.......honestly try it, i was terrible, and i would snack on chocolate at night in front of the telly, then i moved to chicken thighs (a bit healthier, but still upping the calories) and then finally onto the green tea. ( a small bowl of porridge with a bit of natural peanut butter (without salt) is also a good evening snack that will keep you satiated till morning

good luck
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I'd be starving and rummaging in the fridge at night if I was eating less than 1000 calories a day!!! Find out what a healthy calorie goal is for your weight, age, size (use the MFP tools). DO NOT make the usual mistake of setting it to a 2lbs a week loss......slow and steady wins the race. Since you don't have a lot to lose 1/2 to 1 pound a week is fine. Eat enough, eat healthy, stay away from the over processed foods, stick with it and you will see results.
  • smilesback
    Options
    firstly, do not eat so few calories.....and secondly throw the snacks in the bleeping bin......i was exactly the same, you have to be hard on urself, drink a huge mug of green tea (allowed to stew) the sesation on the pallet becomes just as gratifying as a snack, because the harshness of it when stewed is very effective, as it is simply withdrawal symptoms that you are feeling at night.......honestly try it, i was terrible, and i would snack on chocolate at night in front of the telly, then i moved to chicken thighs (a bit healthier, but still upping the calories) and then finally onto the green tea. ( a small bowl of porridge with a bit of natural peanut butter (without salt) is also a good evening snack that will keep you satiated till morning

good luck
    Thanks, the cutting out calories after dinner is the trick.