Soda

Options

Replies

• Jayme34
    Jayme34 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    :explode: Heres a thought that has stuck with me , i once read someplace that soda is the best toilet bowl cleaner you can buy. If you let the soda go flat and throw it in the toilet bowl for a few minutes and flush, it will leave your toilet bowl sparklling clean. It really does, i have tried it. If the acid in the soda cleans the toilet like this what must it be doing to our insides??
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I gave soda up cold turkey too and it wasn't as tough as I thought it would be. I don't like water (I always felt like something was missing from it) and I can't do crystal light cause I get a head ache from the sweetener...so instead I do ice water. I take a bottle and freeze it overnight than drink that throughout the day. I also fill another bottle up with ice and add water to that so I get enough. for a treat or if I'm having a tough day, I have packets of half lemonade/iced tea mix to use
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Okay, here's my experience: I struggled with dehydration after my last child was born. And ever since. I discovered that as I got more dehydrated, it actually seemed to knock out my thirst mechanism. What I mean is, even tho my body was dehydrated, I did not want to drink water!! Never had that problem before.

So here is what I say: Don't do the flavor packet stuff. For the next couple of days, use a glass or bottle, and totally keep track of water intake. Drink 8 -10 cups of water each day Minimum, and keep track! You will find that after a day or two of doing this you will start to get hydrated, and your thirst mechanism will kick back in...you will want water again. This is what happened to me.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking it for the taste or the caffeine? or both. Maybe you could drink some coffee if it's the caffeine only. Otherwise Im no help since I've given up Pop altogether
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I consume a lot of liquids through the day & the older I get the more I find that its soda not water. I've tried flavor packets for my water & even diet soda with no satisfaction. Any ideas?

Become less focused on getting some kind of flavor satisifaction on things. Water and food are fuel. Of the two I personally get more enjoyment out of food than poorly flavored sugar water.

Be a self controlling adult and make it happen.
  • CopyCat97
    CopyCat97 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    As a teen, i drank soda like water. I decided 10 years ago to stop. I weened off myself off by drinking lemonade. Working at a restaurant the time with free access to all the soda i could have was a big temptation to go back but i managed to pull through and stop for 5 years. I feel off the wagon for about ten months when i change of jobs and my schedule got all out of whack. I got back on the wagon again and Ive been soda free again for 4 years now.

I do have an occasional Lemonade, but i drink mostly water now.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I consume a lot of liquids through the day & the older I get the more I find that its soda not water. I've tried flavor packets for my water & even diet soda with no satisfaction. Any ideas?

Become less focused on getting some kind of flavor satisifaction on things. Water and food are fuel. Of the two I personally get more enjoyment out of food than poorly flavored sugar water.

Be a self controlling adult and make it happen.
    ^^^^^^^^^
    THIS
  • leikayli
    leikayli Posts: 11
    Options
    thanks, I just had my second child & have noticed that I drink beverages more because I'm supposed to & not because I'm thirsty. I'll start tracking my water intake today. I usually drink between 4-6 glasses a day, but sometimes I realize @ bedtime that I haven't had any
  • callikia
    callikia Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    When I started I simply forced myself to drink only water. It took a while, but now I've come to prefer it to anything else. Soda just makes you MORE thirsty, and diet soda doesn't do anything for me anymore. You gotta just agree to youself that you will and then follow that up with action. No other way.
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I started drinking flavored seltzer water... which as first was not my favorite, it seemed to lack the taste I was looking for. But for mothers day I bought myself a SodaStream machine and I love it!!! They have 3 different types of soda syrups... a full cane sugar syrup, a cane sugar/splenda syrup (i call that half diet), and a full splenda syrup. I have always HATED diet sodas but I went ahead and started buying the cane sugar/splenda syrups (I have cola, lemon lime, and orange) and I only ise 1/2 of the amount of syrup they tell you to use. I just looked up the calorie information for the cola I use..

8 ounces
    35 calories
    10g sodium
    8g carbs

Now take into consideration that I only use 1/2 of the recommended syrup and mine works out to be:

8 ounces
    18 calories
    5g sodium
    4g carbs

That cuts down on the calories dramatically and you still get your soda fix. I have enjoyed the machine from day 1 and can HONESTLY say that I do not have a craving to reach for regular soda now. When I have had regular soda recently it tastes sickly sweet to me and I can not even finish it! Hope this info helps, I put the link to the machine below.

http://www.sodastreamusa.com/store.aspx?gclid=CKGW-qKfj7ECFUlN4AodTwq3Cw
  • _beautiful_disaster_
    Options
    why dont you do diet soda? no calories?
  • GreekByMarriage
    GreekByMarriage Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Let me also say that now I still sometimes buy the flavored seltzer waters to bring with me to work and since I have stopped drinking regular soda they taste SOOOO much stronger to me (lemon lime is my favorite and it feels like I am drinking sprite).
    I started drinking flavored seltzer water... which as first was not my favorite, it seemed to lack the taste I was looking for. But for mothers day I bought myself a SodaStream machine and I love it!!! They have 3 different types of soda syrups... a full cane sugar syrup, a cane sugar/splenda syrup (i call that half diet), and a full splenda syrup. I have always HATED diet sodas but I went ahead and started buying the cane sugar/splenda syrups (I have cola, lemon lime, and orange) and I only ise 1/2 of the amount of syrup they tell you to use. I just looked up the calorie information for the cola I use..

8 ounces
    35 calories
    10g sodium
    8g carbs

Now take into consideration that I only use 1/2 of the recommended syrup and mine works out to be:

8 ounces
    18 calories
    5g sodium
    4g carbs

That cuts down on the calories dramatically and you still get your soda fix. I have enjoyed the machine from day 1 and can HONESTLY say that I do not have a craving to reach for regular soda now. When I have had regular soda recently it tastes sickly sweet to me and I can not even finish it! Hope this info helps, I put the link to the machine below.

http://www.sodastreamusa.com/store.aspx?gclid=CKGW-qKfj7ECFUlN4AodTwq3Cw
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    we like to brew fruit-flavored teas and then chill them. there's no sugar in them, but they still "taste" a little sweet and are very refreshing on hot days. I used to drink a lot of soda; in fact, I would say that soda was the main contribution to the weight I'm taking off now.

when we first made the switch, we used carbonated water to satisfy the "bubble" need and mix it with juice. eventually, we removed the juice and just drank the bubble water. then we just started drinking tap water & cold tea.
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Soda is yummy. But that said when I have given it up in the past (for over a year in a few cases) it has always been cold turkey and usually started with doing it for Lent.
  • sistasledge101
    Options
    Okay, here's my experience: I struggled with dehydration after my last child was born. And ever since. I discovered that as I got more dehydrated, it actually seemed to knock out my thirst mechanism. What I mean is, even tho my body was dehydrated, I did not want to drink water!! Never had that problem before.

So here is what I say: Don't do the flavor packet stuff. For the next couple of days, use a glass or bottle, and totally keep track of water intake. Drink 8 -10 cups of water each day Minimum, and keep track! You will find that after a day or two of doing this you will start to get hydrated, and your thirst mechanism will kick back in...you will want water again. This is what happened to me.

I am in the same boat. Except it was sweet tea. Once you start drinking water, you will get a the "thirst" and it becomes easier each day to meet your goal. I drink 2 24oz bottles at night when I am tempted to snack.
  • JustJudy
    JustJudy Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 9 no caffeine, no diet sodas. I am headache free now but do miss the carbonation. I am on summer break (work in the schools) and know that's when I'll miss the caffeine. I was up to 2-3 diet sodas a day. I am mainly doing it to rid my body of the sweeteners and all the crazy *kitten* stuff I've read about what a can of diet anything contains. Arsenic really??? :noway:
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    You just have to deal with it until you get used to it. Most people like the way soda tastes better than water, but if you want to see results, you have to make sacrifices.
  • depressednurse
    Options
    I have been soda free for 66 days. One of the best things I ever did was give it up. No diet soda either. I was a 2 liter aday guy.
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options
    Yeah just think of a dentist drilling your tooth to pull the dead nerve out and put a crown on top of it. I had two of these they are called root canals and thats what happens if you continue to drink soda. This is what helped me to stop. Also know that if you stop you'll probably lose about 10 pounds for sure.
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    my SIL is the same way, is addicted to soda and hates water, she found the only way she could drink it is if it was coconut water or spa water (water infused/soaked with strawberries, cucumbers & oranges) its delicious and naturally sweetened. give it a try! :)

23mAiZR.jpg23mAm7.png