The need for caffeine

Options
oboeing
oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
I work 2 jobs, up to 70 hours a week, and I'm a volunteer firefighter one night a week (not to mention trying to get to the gym 3 times a week). I average around 5 hours of sleep a night, and sleeping through the night is a rare occurrance for me. I don't have time to build more sleep into my schedule, which means I just have to make this work. However, about twice a week, I find myself falling asleep at my desk. I am not a tea drinker, and i don't like regular coffee. I normally have 1 can of diet soda a day, but on these days, that just doesn't cut it. I have tried eating fruit, drinking cold water, getting up and walking around (and i do not work in an environment where i can get up and do some pushups), then i turn to drinking regular soda and eating a candy bar, because once i make it past 1030 i'm good for the day...it's just getting over that morning hump that i struggle with... I need a caffeine replacement idea that works... any suggestions?

Replies

• chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    You know what you are doing wrong and what your triggers are here.

(Unless there is some religion out there that considers steeping herbs in hot water like some kind of unforgivable..thing).

Try indian Chai (basically spiced black tea), sweeten it with a little bit of raw, local honey. Yes honey is awesome, especially raw, local honey. If you don't know why, to the googles with you I'm lazy today. Try mate a south american tea that you can get for cheap as fuark at your average brown people store (I'm brown people so I can say that), it's an even better stimulant than pure caffeine, mild unique taste, and has a ton of other health benefits. Try macha green tea, it has its own sweetness and you can buy it in bulk at Costco.

There is no time like the present to break out of your comfort zone and start experimenting.

***POST EDITED BY STAFF for violation of guidelines 1 and 17 http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines ***
  • oboeing
    oboeing Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    You know what you are doing wrong and what your triggers are here.

(Unless there is some religion out there that considers steeping herbs in hot water like some kind of unforgivable..thing).

Try indian Chai (basically spiced black tea), sweeten it with a little bit of raw, local honey. Yes honey is awesome, especially raw, local honey. If you don't know why, to the googles with you I'm lazy today. Try mate a south american tea that you can get for cheap as fuark at your average brown people store (I'm brown people so I can say that), it's an even better stimulant than pure caffeine, mild unique taste, and has a ton of other health benefits. Try macha green tea, it has its own sweetness and you can buy it in bulk at Costco.

There is no time like the present to break out of your comfort zone and start experimenting.

wow, thanks for being so helpful. i have been trying to like tea since i was 15 (that's 18 years). i have tried a plethora of kinds/flavors/temperatures with a lot of different additives (including honey), and still can't get past the smell. so thanks for your attitude.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    You're welcome!
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    - Chocolate covered espresso beans
    - caffeine pills
    - 5 hour energy/red bull/ monster

I don't use any of those because I like coffee. Just throwing those options out.
  • danacr73
    danacr73 Posts: 6
    Options
    I did not like coffee for a long, long, time. However, when I wanted something other than a coke in the morning - I tried it with french vanilla creamer. It changes the taste. You may want to try it. Also 5 hour energy - it is small but I hear it really works (I have not personally tried it).