People Eating 1200 a Day

Options

Replies

• JenMull44
    JenMull44 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    1200 is going to slow your metabolism way down, and you will end up gaining the weight back because it's too low to sustain. It is NOT a lot of food! I would find another calculator and figure out a number that's a bit higher and more sustainable. :-)

Totally disagree, it depends on your build and activity level - agreed I wouldn't go below this but its not too low to sustain.

Yes, I also agree that in the beginning of this journey 1200 is appropriate. I started at 1200 and after I finally lost 15 lbs, I upped it too 1300.
    I also work out five days a week.
  • Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I eat a ton of food and stay at 1200, you just have to pick the right types of foods. And making generalizations about everyone's metabolism isn't the best idea.[/quote]

I totally agree - I've been on 1200 and have lost 22 pounds. My diary is open to friends, so feel free to add me :smile:
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    feel free to look at mine. I don't go anywhere near those frozen meals, either. I make all my own stuff or choose food from restaurants wisely.
  • JustJudy
    JustJudy Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My beachbody coach increased my calories from 1200 to 1500 and changed my macros and that broke a year plateau. I'm working on cleaning up my diet, so that said, you can add me and look at my diary. I live in Texas and can't refuse a bowl of good salsa and chips. Also during the summer I over indulge on the adult beverages. That said, the scale keeps moving down. I'm also within 5 lbs of my ideal weight now.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I eat around 1200 calories a day, give or take a little on different days. And I feel like I am eating enough to keep me satisfied. I also eat the Michelina Lean meals when I'm in a hurry at work. And I find some of them to be quite tasty. I usually eat Triscut crackers with them. I have continued to lose weight eating them. I think it depends on the person...
    Good luck....
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    is ur diary accurate!? are u eating soup and lasagna for breakfast, next to nothing for lunch, breakfast foods for dinner, and full meals as snacks?!
  • FatToFit12
    FatToFit12 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    This is day 2 for me counting calories. I'm sitting here eating a Michelinas Lean Gourmet & it is gross! Would some of you that have been eating 1200 calories for a while add me or direct me to your food diary so I can get some better meal ideas?
    Thanks!
    A great tip is to get some frozen mixed vegtables and add the lean cuisine to them and stir it up. The lean cuisine always has alot of sauce and little food. The sauce and meal mixes with the vegtables and makes everything taste good. Plus it will actually fill you up.
  • samanthakre
    Options
    I eat clean, and eat approx 1200/day...never over 1500. It is a struggle to make it though! The more processed your foods, the more calories in my experience.

Cook up some turkey burgers, chicken, fish, veggies...all in 4 oz meat portions, I don't measure my veggies though - they hardly have any calories, so even if I'm off a little it's not really going to matter. You'll be surprised how much you can eat! I eat 6 meals a day and sometimes have to push to get to 1200...
  • soul_sista88
    soul_sista88 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I believe I have done well sticking around 1200 cals. When I first started I was always below 1200. The weight was coming off though, but I didn't feel like I was starving because I ate a lot of low cal food, such as eliminating cheese and mayo and after awhile, I wasn't attracted to things such as cookies and ice cream (which I love) because I knew the calorie content. Don't get me wrong, there are some days I go over especially this past vacation. This is mainly because you will have fewer calories for the food you prepare at home. We were on the road, so my food came from fast food places, but there are still healthy choices out there. I enjoyed Subway, KFC (take the skin off, which will save you in salt and calories). Although I hung away from these goodies, that just made me even more eagered to find delicious recipes. Hence, I just made for the first time squash casserole. DELICIOUS and will be my lunch for today lol. I also would drink a lot of water that usually swerves those appetite pangs. Some delicious snacks are: lightly salted rice cake with a 1/2 or 1 spoon of nutella, fruit, graham crackers, great value three cheese baked crisps, and zucchini and chocolate chip bread. Just add me if you want.

Breakfast: Slice of whole wheat toast and fruit or small portion of meat
    Snack: Great Value Honey Roasted Peanuts or Rice Cake
    Lunch: Squash Casserole (leftovers)
    Snack: Pear halves
    Dinner: Chinese Beef and Broccoli and 2 chicken wings (no salt and msg)
    Snack (If any): Great Value Crunchy Honey Oats Cereal/100 cal yogurt pretzels/1 graham cracker (has four squares anyway)
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorite healthy low cal tricks:

Baking skinless boneless chicken in broth, covered. Keeps it super moist. Then I dip in soy and sesame seeds while eating.

Pan-fried zucchini. I hate hate hate veggies, but this works. Chop up a zucchini, 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan, season zucchini with garlic salt.

Fish fish fish fish <3

I love fruit so I eat apples pretty regularly (80 cals) and they fill me up for a bit.

Cherry/grape tomatoes, cucumber salads, etc, are also nice low cal treats.

I like to pan fry pork loin plain as well. Pork loin has a lot of flavor and isn't too much higher cal than chicken.
  • knama5
    knama5 Posts: 27
    Options
    Bump :smile:
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    I could never do 1200 calories for more than 2-3 days in a row.

Almost gave up, but then I gave myself a range

ROCK BOTTOM: 1200 calories
    TARGET: MFP lose 1 lb a week until that got down to 1200 then switched to lose 1/2 lb a week
    HIGH END: Maintain calories for GOAL WEIGHT

As long as I stayed in this range I would continue to lose and it was much easier to stick with.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 a day although, I admit, I find it hard to stick to when friends, family and/or boyfriend is around because I like wine.

BUT, when I'm not tempted by a glass of chardonnay, I find 1200 calories in food pretty attainable. You just have to pick the right foods. Stay off the processed stuff.

You can look at my food diary, although I fell off the wagon over the holiday and have to get back on track. But, a typical day of food for me goes likes this:

Breakfast
    Nonfat greek yogurt and any fruit

Snack
    Smartpop popcorn or a granola bar

Lunch
    Turkey and lite swiss on light style wheat bread with mustard and lettuce
    Bag of cut veggies (carrots, broccoli, peppers, cucumbers) and a serving of reduced fat ranch dressing

Dinner
    Grilled or broiled lean protein
    Green vegetable
    Sometimes a starch if I have the calories (sweet potato, cous cous, orzo, etc).

It's actually not that bad. If you have any interest in learning how to cook (I know, it's not for everyone) then you can teach yourself how to use olive oil, citrus, spices and herbs in marinades to infuse some amazing flavors so you aren't eating "plain old grilled chicken."
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I also disagree with some of the posts on here generalizing by saying 1200 is too low.
    You just need to listen to your body and take it from there. It depends on how active you are. But tracking your calories is the first step. You'll see where you are wasting your calories and can adjust. (For me, I saw how much calories, sugar and sodium I was really intaking and its all about adjusting. I've worked on calories and sugar, but still have issues some days w/ sodium)

Except for my exercise routine, I am sedentary (due to working from home, and working long hours). So 1200 works for me. (I usually try to eat 1200-1300 as I eat back some of my exercise calories).
    And it doesn't mean you're starving as some people will say. You should only be starving if you're still trying to eat mainly bad foods. As your portions will be very small..
    You just have to eat the right foods. The healthier foods you eat, the more you can eat. Some days when I eat really well, I even find myself looking for a way to get my calories up to 1200 as I'm not hungry. I'll make a protein shake for a snack, eat apple slices with 'better than peanut butter' spread, eat hummus with red pepper slices, add a serving of blue chips to my "taco salad", etc...
    Now of course everyday isn't easy. On weekends/going out to eat, it is harder for me. But I allow myself freedom on those days. I will allow an approx 1500-1600 calorie day about once a week (but I make sure I work out those days).

Good luck!!
    She is RIGHT! I disagree on the persons saying 1200 is not enough, it is for some people, not everyone. So I think you should start as you are, if you do not lose and your eating the right foods and exercising up your calories. Iv lost 30 in 12 weeks before. I ate 1200 calories a day, one day I would go over probably 2000 or more, just ONE day. I would work out 4 or 5 days a week burning an average of 500-800 calories and only sometimes would I eat back those burned calories, some ppl told me I was basically stupid, but Im unsure why because I WAS NOT STARVING at all because I chose the proper foods to complete my 1200! I have a lot of friends that have lost a good amount of weight doing 1300-1500 calories so EVERYONE is DIFFERENT!!!
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat prepackaged food.

Look for example:
    - 4 oz chicken breast is 120 calories. If you put some lemon pepper or w/e herbs and grill, that's pretty low.
    - 1/2 cup of brown rice is about 80 calories
    - vegetables (if you're into that) has to be low
    - get those low cal salad dressings that are like 35 cals/tbsp

- sirloin 4 oz is about 211 calories
    - medium potato is about 161
    - ff sour cream is about 30 cals per 2 tbsp
    - wedge of that Laughing Cow low fat cheese is about 35 cals
    - broccoli should be pretty low

you can always get recipes, break them down into ingredients and make it work to your calorie advantage.

This! Prepackaged food will almost always be more calories and less tasty than food you can cook yourself.

and always adds sodium -- which is definitely a no no
  • CoryHJr
    CoryHJr Posts: 4
    Options
    Op, what I recommend is experimenting and finding out what works best for you. Start with the 1200 calories. The way that weight/fat loss works is through an overall deficit in the amount of calories that you are taking in when compared to the amount of calories that your uses to fuel your daily activities. Think about it like a math equation. Weight loss = Calorie Input - Calorie Output. So as long as the calorie input is less than the calorie output you are slowly loosing weight. That is a steadfast truth!

With that logic you can drop your calories as low as you want in order to loose fat faster right? Wrong!!! There a few exceptions to this rule. Your body has defense mechanisms against extreme calorie deficits. That's where your metabolism/hunger/muscle loss comes into play. If your body notices that you are inputting too little calories, the first thing that it will do is tell you that it wants food. That's the way of telling you that it wants food to continue to process the activities for the day. That's why when you exercise, you get hungry soon after. Your body expended a lot of calories from exercises and it wants you to replenish them, by eating more food (though if you're trying to maintain a deficit you probably don't want to give your body as much as it wants as that will bring you out of the deficit).

If your body finds that it is getting WAY to little calories, it will then first try to get rid of any sort of unnecessary matter on your body. Muscle weighs more than fat, so your body will, in extreme deficits, get rid of it quickly. It takes more caloric expenditure to maintain over fat, which weighs less. That's why exercise/weight training is extremely beneficial to losing weight, as you will give your body a reason to maintain lean body mass (use it or lose it principle) and get rid of fat as there is no use for it. But all an extreme deficit with no exercise will do is make you skinny with a huge gut (I have experience there, it sucks!!!!)

Finally if your body is experiencing a calorie deficit over a long period of time, it will often adapt by lowering the amount of energy output, otherwise known as slowing down you metabolism. The body of people with high metabolism has no reservations in it's usage of calories and will burn them freely which makes it hard for them to put on any weight (ie genetically skinny people), while the body of those with low metabolism is much more selective about how it uses it's energy and is more likely to store it away in case of an "emergency". That emergency weight, if not careful will often times be fat (ie genetically chubbier people). Now, if your body sees that over time it's not getting as many calories as it wants it will begin to lean towards slowing your metabolism as it is afraid that it will soon starve. That's why people advocate even during long periods of weight loss efforts to have the occasional high calorie or "cheat day" (though the notion is widely abused). The excess calories trick the body into believing that you're going to start giving it more calories, and for people who hit plateaus due to a low metabolism this is a great way to speed it back up, making the body use more calories so that a bigger deficit can be created and more weight will be lost.

There is a principle that says "eat more to lose more" and that's sort of what I like to go by. Eat as much food as you can as long as your still creating a calorie deficit. To find how much you can eat, you can either try to use a calorie calculator (these have varying levels of success so take them with a grain of salt) or do a little experimenting. Start logging EVERYTHING YOU PUT INTO YOUR MOUTH! If you swallow a fly, you better count it hahahaha. Really though, if you don't have an exact look at how much your eating there will always be a huge amount of risk of error. Be strict, it's tough but worth it in the long run. For the first couple of weeks, eat the 1200 calories. Take your weight once a week on at the same day and time each week. After a couple weeks if you are seeing a consistent amount of weight loss, up the amount of calories by 200 or so. Repeat the process. If you are still consistently loosing weight up the calories a little more. Keep doing this until you find yourself loosing 1-2lbs a week on average and you don't feel too hungry. That's going to be the amount of calories you'll want to be eating at to lose weight. By eating a small deficit, rather than a large one, the body will be more inclined to take fat off before muscle as it doesn't feel the express to drop weight right away, rather it can be more relaxed about what your body wants and needs.

Now when it comes to choosing what you can eat, you can really eat anything to be quite honest (yes people will bash on me here). When in a deficit your body sees calories as calories (some small discrepancies, but not enough for most people to worry about). There is no such thing as a good calorie vs a bad calorie. If you are in a good deficit you WILL lose weight. Bottom line. Now do I say go out and eat junk all the time? Wrong. There are health concerns that come with eating an excess of bad foods vs eating more wholesome foods. But when it comes strictly to weight loss, calorie deficit is the only thing that matters.
    If you look at my food log, you'll see that I've had pizza on multiple occasions and other things many would freak out about when loosing weight, but all I did was stay under my calorie limit and the weight comes off (I've went from 175-155 in 2 months this way). The only way that I will say whole foods are better for weight loss has to do with food satiety, which how full certain foods make you feel. Wholesome prepacked foods make you feel very full and therefore the body has less chance of getting hungry and you have less chance of going over your calorie limit, while the opposite can be said for junk.

That's weight/fat loss in a nutshell. It takes work and experimentation, but follow the deficit rule and you'll be good to go!!! Good luck!!!!
  • superrjo
    superrjo Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    you can add me if you like - my goal is 1150 although i go over sometimes because ive already lost what i wanted to lose and so amn't overly strict anymore. i like to cook, so cook a lot of my meals myself (makes it very easy to be low cal as i can use the substitutes/amounts that i want)...
  • daMutz
    daMutz Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Im also on my second day. I will be sure to be more detailed in my entries, hopefully it will help myself get the most out of 1200 and others too.

Thanks in advance for those I borrow ideas from : )
  • Catiec76
    Catiec76 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    YOu can add me
  • karlichelle18
    karlichelle18 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    prepackaged food is also loaded with preservatives and things you cannot pronounce that your body cannot digest.