p90X / Insanity -possible if you are VERY out of shape?

Options
I have always wanted to give it a go - but really terrified of failing it!
I am just under 300 pounds, so I don't know if I would be able to even do it!

To those who have done it / are doing it - do you think it is possible?

Replies

• SemperFi91
    SemperFi91 Posts: 169
    Options
    Yes it is possbile! I started it when i weight 300 pounds though I had to modify some movements and take a longer break i just kept pushing through now im 220 its an amazing workout program! =) Add me as a friend I can help motivate you.
  • kaymarie78
    kaymarie78 Posts: 104
    Options
    I'm 283 and just finished my first week of Insanity. It's tough and really hard on the knees for someone my size if you don't modify a bit, but I really enjoy it. I'm terribly out of shape but find that I really push myself while doing the workout and have completed it every day that I've done it.
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are always modified versions of moves, and It isn't always about doing everything at the same rate the video people are. You just do as much as you can each time. Tony is REALLY annoying, I don't know how people handle 90 days of him. If you are gonna do p90x, you should consult and stick to the diet plan also. The answer tho, is yes. You can do it if it is what you truly want to do.
  • Lwillis1234
    Lwillis1234 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    I was 246 when I started insanity and I did it/finished it!! You can do it too!
  • geeniusatwurk
    geeniusatwurk Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I did the first month of Insanity at 284 pounds, and did alright given my complete lack of fitness. The 2nd month killed me though, and was just too intense so I did month 1 twice instead of the normal routine. As long as you do the programs at a safe level (which depends quite a bit on your exercise and joint tolerance) anyone can do Insanity.
  • angrodriguez92
    angrodriguez92 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I did the first month of P90X. It was awesome. I felt great and I was doing the workouts to the best of my ability but then I got more hours at my job, got the flu and I couldn't do it for like a week, felt super defeated, and quit. My routine was all off! It was awful. So you want to make sure you can set that time aside every day. If you have that, you can do it.
  • sarrylove
    sarrylove Posts: 88
    Options
    You can do it!!! You may have to modify some at first, but that is okay! You will still get a good workout! And when you get stronger you will see that you won't have to modify as much and then you will amaze yourself :)
  • tizzie_14
    tizzie_14 Posts: 72
    Options
    Modify, modify, modify. You can do it!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    P90X -
    Can be done but with LOTS of modifications. So much so in fact that you're basically defeating the purpose of the program. If you're at the point where you can not do P90X without extensive modifications, then I can promise you you WILL see better results from other programs more suited to your level.

Insanity -
    Insanity consists mainly of plyometrics exercises with lots of jumping. And yes there is such a thing as too big/heavy to be jumping up and down constantly. That is, assuming you want your knees to last your whole life. Find safer, low-impact ways of doing it until you get closer to your goal weight. You will wreck your knees doing this at your weight. You will also be modifying heavily.

And to everyone out there who says you can get through these programs at any fitness level if you just modify, modify, modify, how much do you REALLY think you're getting out of it vs. other, safer programs when you're modifying it THAT much? I'll give you a hint: Not as much as you think. The fact that Beachbody is trying to push plyometrics training, something meant for COMPETING ATHLETES to keep on top of their game, NOT for folks trying to lose weight, and denying you sufficient rest periods between these plyometrics workouts, is careless and shows they care nothing about their customer base.
  • BOLO4Hagtha
    BOLO4Hagtha Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Yes, there are always modified versions of moves, and It isn't always about doing everything at the same rate the video people are. You just do as much as you can each time. Tony is REALLY annoying, I don't know how people handle 90 days of him. If you are gonna do p90x, you should consult and stick to the diet plan also. The answer tho, is yes. You can do it if it is what you truly want to do.

He gets annoying, yet, but I select music and cue option so I don't have to listen to him talk. But P90X works!
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    That's the great thing about these dvd workouts. You can pause it anytime and just do your best. If you get dizzy or lightheaded, pause and take a rest. Then get back to it. That's what I had to do when I started weighing 290lbs. P90X alone has helped me lose 50 lbs. Insanity is helping me with my cardio and stamina.

P90X is great because you can modify things to make it easier or harder.
  • rward007
    rward007 Posts: 32
    Options
    I've not done Insanity, but P90x is tough. If you're doing an exercise routine, you have to modify it your level though. If you could keep pace with the people in the video, you'd probably have a body composition closer to what the people have in the video.
  • GetFitWilliams
    GetFitWilliams Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    And to everyone out there who says you can get through these programs at any fitness level if you just modify, modify, modify, how much do you REALLY think you're getting out of it vs. other, safer programs when you're modifying it THAT much? I'll give you a hint: Not as much as you think. The fact that Beachbody is trying to push plyometrics training, something meant for COMPETING ATHLETES to keep on top of their game, NOT for folks trying to lose weight, and denying you sufficient rest periods between these plyometrics workouts, is careless and shows they care nothing about their customer base.

This statement is really discouraging for someone who would like to try insanity. I have started insanity twice and the only reason I quit was because I had to have surgery. I was about 325 when I started insanity and have been about to keep 25lbs off even throughout me not being able to work out for a month. It's people like u who I am so determined to prove wrong because I was told that I was "too big" to do it. And even though I did modify some of the moves, I still lost weight and got great results.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

This statement is really discouraging for someone who would like to try insanity. I have started insanity twice and the only reason I quit was because I had to have surgery. I was about 325 when I started insanity and have been about to keep 25lbs off even throughout me not being able to work out for a month. It's people like u who I am so determined to prove wrong because I was told that I was "too big" to do it. And even though I did modify some of the moves, I still lost weight and got great results.

I'm trying real hard not to sound condescending or insulting here but it's not about pride. It's about safety. These workouts simply are not SAFE for someone of that weight. Ask any personal trainer about what happens to your knees and central nervous system when a significantly overweight person does plyometrics.

Also, if I'm discouraging you, good! Because my concern is for safety first. And this workout is simply not safe for people who are significantly overweight. The idea of doing something just because people tell you that you can't or shouldn't is just plain childish and immature. Being an adult is about thinking with your head, not your pride.
  • MrsFolk
    MrsFolk Posts: 205
    Options
    I found that p90x was too intense for me so I stick with power90 :) I do what works for me. If in the future I've built up the stamina and strength, I'll give it another go.
  • rildev03
    rildev03 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

I'm trying real hard not to sound condescending or insulting here but it's not about pride. It's about safety. These workouts simply are not SAFE for someone of that weight. Ask any personal trainer about what happens to your knees and central nervous system when a significantly overweight person does plyometrics.

Also, if I'm discouraging you, good! Because my concern is for safety first. And this workout is simply not safe for people who are significantly overweight. The idea of doing something just because people tell you that you can't or shouldn't is just plain childish and immature. Being an adult is about thinking with your head, not your pride.

You shouldn't try to discourage someone who wants to try. Isn't the point to just get up and move. Any exercise (modified or not) is better than no exercise. Each person needs to go at the pace that is comfortable for them.
  • rward007
    rward007 Posts: 32
    Options
    I think he makes a fair point. If you are very out of shape, you should probably consult your doctor before starting something this intense. I think you can modify it enough that you can get a workout and do it safely, but you need to understand what to avoid and how to modify it. That will require some research and experimentation and the end result of all of that could be that you may have been better off starting something simple to lose some weight and build a little strength first.

However, if doing P90x is what is going to motivate you to lose weight and get in shape, then it's hard for me to say don't try, but an early injury could be negative towards your goal. So talk to your doctor, do research, maybe solicit the advice of personal trainers, and then decide.
  • Punktorian
    Punktorian Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Talk to a decent doctor before. If they approve it, go with P90X and basically walk your way through the first week. Take it extremely slowly even if you don't feel you are really pushing yourself. Skip the plyo dvd and substitute one of the other cardio workouts or even take a walk instead. Assuming you don't already have some kind of problem, P90X is very doable if you approach it properly.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    p90x has a fit test to use a base before doing the actual p90x. That will tell you where you stand. The folks who made p90x have other videos that could also prepare you for the actual p90x.

I don't know squat about insanity. I actually had to google that one.
  • jmdax
    jmdax Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't try to discourage someone who wants to try. Isn't the point to just get up and move. Any exercise (modified or not) is better than no exercise. Each person needs to go at the pace that is comfortable for them.

Doesn't sound like contingencyplan is trying to discourage anyone. Sounds more like he's trying to insure that the person doesn't get injured and is suggesting alternatives. If a person injures himself, especially early on during the beginning of a workout program, he is less likely to continue any type of workout.

If you're not familiar with P90X/Insanity, you have to realize that it is a very difficult workout program. The original poster may be better served working up to these. However, if the person really wants to try it, then he/she should absolutely get the green light to do so from a doctor.

I don't see modifying the moves as much as a problem because if you're just starting out exercising, you're going to make modifications to any workout program. As you stated, just getting up and moving is a start. But you have to like what you're doing and not get discouraged so you continue with it. And more importantly you have to avoid injury.

Let us know what you decide to do. Good luck!