any point in walking if HR isnt going up?

Options
2»

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,207 Member
    Options
    My HRM lets me know that when I'm not exerting my heart too much I'm actually burning fat, when my HR is higher then I'm in gaining fitness mode...

That would be a misunderstanding of the various zones. It is actually telling you at that lower intensity that you are burning more fat as a percentage of the total energy your body is burning, but you are burning very few calories. In the "fitness" zone you burn a lot more calories, just a lower percent from fat. Here is the thing you need to realize, even burning less percentage of those calories from fat, you still burn more total calories from fat in the "fitness" zone during the same length of time exercising than you will in the "fat burning" zone. In other words, higher intensity with the higher heart rate will burn more fat total for the same length of workout.

To put that in practical terms, if you spend a half hour walking you will burn much less fat than if you spent that half hour running.
  • KickassAugust
    KickassAugust Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes... just walk a bit faster!
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    HRMs really aren't made to estimate everything. Consider a Fitbit. Or not 'eating back'.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It's a better alternative than sitting!
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've been walking a lot over the past four months. When I started it was a big deal to get over 5,000 steps and now I'm up to the point where going 10,000 steps (about 5 miles) in a day is no big deal. I often make use of my walks to catch up with friends and family on the phone, so I'm not going super fast or getting out of breath on them.

Just a couple of weeks ago I was walking on a treadmill and decided to see how long I could run without stopping. I hadn't run in over a year, when I had trained for a 5k, so I thought it would be a couple of minutes and I'd have to go back to walking. Imagine my surprise when I was able to run for 20 minutes straight!

So walking must be doing something for me.....
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I walked for just under half an hour, averaged 108 bpm, covered 1.82 miles with a pace of 15:22 and it said I burned 129 cals. I was pushing to keep the heart rate in the target zone, and did a couple of short jogs.

Is it set up right ?

polarpersonaltrainer.com says for me :-

HR Zones Energy expenditure (avg.)
    HR % bpm kcal/min kcal/h
    50 - 60 % 86-102 3.6 217
    60 - 70 % 103-119 5.3 317
    70 - 80 % 120-137 6.9 417
    80 - 90 % 138-154 8.6 517
    90 - 100 % 155-172 10.4 625

This sounds about right to me - 30 minutes jogging at a moderate pace is about 250 cals, so walking for the same time should be about 150