Everyone talks about eating before bed what about exercise

Options
13»

Replies

• kimama01
    kimama01 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think it just depends on your body... I can work out shower and fall right to sleep. BUT that's my body. I would say just try it out and see if it works for you.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Over the years I have usually done my workout in the early morning before work. However, now that we have a second child I am finding it difficult to have enough time for a good workout. I have been trying to decide if I should do it after the kids go to bed. After reading this I am going to give it a shot. I look forward to a longer less 'time-pressured' workout.

You know, I have on occasion cut my workout slightly shorter than I might have wanted because things were going on. I like the idea of having less "time pressure"

Plus I think I would be tempted to hit the snooze button rather than get up in time for the gym. Staying up to go at the end of my day shouldn't be a problem. Plus added bonus, I'll know exactly how many calories I need to burn to get under my goal and how much I need to workout if I want milk & a cookie before bed.
  • justal313
    Options
    Well it's only been a little over a week but here are my observations

I like the extra time with my daughter and wife
    I have definately made things easier for my wife
    NO WAITING TIME for the next machine when I'm lifting.
    I haven't had any trouble falling asleep
    I get to see exactly how many calories I need to burn so I can have milk and a cookie (probably why I can fall right asleep)
    At age 42 I am definately the oldest person in the gym that late at night, in fact I could be the father of all the 20 somethings there.
    I enjoy cooking and I get to cook once/twice a week now.
  • justal313
    Options
    Well it's 3 weeks now and here are my thoughts

Someone had mentioned getting in Gym clothes right when you get home so you won't be tempted to skip the gym. Skipping the gym isn't really an issue but I can get my non-gym clothes in the wash before leaving if we need to do a load. Also, big bonus is that I'm not grabbing a locker, getting changed and then grabbing my stuff out of the locker after I'm done. Shaves about 5-10 minutes off the whole thing and that late, that's a good thing.

It hasn't been an issue for me going that late. Maybe 2 or 3 times in the last 3 weeks I've gone earlier. One day I went after work so that going the next morning first thing wouldn't have been too soon. Going first thing is not my thing but I'll do it when I need to.

Since I've logged my food for the day including my after gym snack I've been able to better plan out my exercise and get just over my net for the day.

As I said before I'm not waiting for machines when I lift and I'm clearly way too old at 42 to be at the gym that time of night.

My wife is considerably less stressed coming home and having me there right after work to help with my daughter. I get extra time with the two of them which is invaluable.

So this works out well. Next monday though I'm going right after work as the gym has free pizza day and while I won't eat 10 bucks worth of free pizza (as I don't want exercise for an extra 1500 calories just for pizza) I'm getting some of my monthly fee back ;)