Food Allergies, IBS, and Other Digestive Problems

Options
chivalryder
chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
I've started an elimination diet (to find food allergies) about a week and a half ago and WOW what a difference it has made!

However, my main "food allergy problem" was my lower digestive system. I'm still have problems with it. Pretty much the same as before, just toned down a bit.

I did a very intense workout this morning, the first time in about a year. Now I feel absolutely awful. I feel so bad on the toilet, I dare not go back. I'm even thought about taking the rest of the day off, it's so uncomfortable.

I always thought it was a food allergy, but it's clear to me now that it isn't. I'm afraid this will screw up my elimination diet results because it could hide issues I have with certain foods.

My diary is open to the public, so you can see what I have been eating for the last week.

Any recommendations? I'd like to try to find out as much info as possible on my own. I despise walk-in clinics, and the earliest I can see a doctor is about a month from now.

Replies

• chivalryder
    Options
    Nobody?
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I guess I'm on my own for this one...
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    If your worried abt having IBS cut the sugar back!!! a lot. I had a crappy dr that said i had it abt a year ago. But I cut out dairy and eggs for the most part and I feel a lot better. I was also under a lot of stress then so that added to it too.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Thanks for the response.

From my elimination diet, I have cut out anything you can consider sugar. Sugar, both white and brown, molasses, honey, corn syrup, and all sweeteners but Stevia, which I haven't had yet. I just got a bottle yesterday.

I'm eating a lot of fruit though.
  • laurieagain09
    laurieagain09 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Maybe give your elimination diet more time before you start working out hardcore? Have you tried cutting back on the fruits/fruit juices? What did you eat before your work out? When I first started doing intense workouts it upset my tummy. But, it doesn't anymore. I have also learned what types of food I can eat before hand. (I basically have no digestive problems now, but have had 4 intestinal surgeries including the removal of 1/2 my colon).
    If I were you I would go make a doc. appt., but keep experimenting until you get in.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response.

From my elimination diet, I have cut out anything you can consider sugar. Sugar, both white and brown, molasses, honey, corn syrup, and all sweeteners but Stevia, which I haven't had yet. I just got a bottle yesterday.

I'm eating a lot of fruit though.

I was talking abt the fruit! lol Cut back on it and add some veggies, carrot sticks, celery. O and I almost forgot to mention that you are eating fruits that are really really acidic. This can also cause problems.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Maybe give your elimination diet more time before you start working out hardcore? Have you tried cutting back on the fruits/fruit juices? What did you eat before your work out? When I first started doing intense workouts it upset my tummy. But, it doesn't anymore. I have also learned what types of food I can eat before hand. (I basically have no digestive problems now, but have had 4 intestinal surgeries including the removal of 1/2 my colon).
    If I were you I would go make a doc. appt., but keep experimenting until you get in.

I was originally going to wait until I was down to 200 lbs or something, but I've been feeling so good lately. I felt like giving myself a boost could help.
    I was talking abt the fruit! lol Cut back on it and add some veggies, carrot sticks, celery. O and I almost forgot to mention that you are eating fruits that are really really acidic. This can also cause problems.

I'll try that out. Veggies are so not appetizing. Perhaps I could find a recipe for a hypo-allergenic dip I could make.
  • tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    check out this girls website www.againstallgrains.com

its really amazing and she talks about a ton of different dietary restrictions
  • spikefoot
    spikefoot Posts: 419
    Options
    I suffered from being bloated, constipated (there I said it lol), gassy,heartburn, tired and everything in between. It hurt all the time just to push on my stomach. I experienced crashes all the time that resulted in migraines etc... Basically it felt like my entire digestive system was running really poorly.

I now am very careful with what I eat. I make sure to get enough fiber (although it killed me in the beginning, but I pushed through) and I put priority on fresh fruit and vegetables etc... I avoid grease and desserts.

Looking back to how I ate I was malnourished and filled with preservatives.

I hated all the healthy foods at first, I couldn't eat brown bread etc... it is amazing how your tastes will change when you start fueling your body. This is very hard to do but not impossible. If you can push through in about 3 months you will probably feel 1000x better... but I am no doctor. :) good luck
  • Homa24
    Homa24 Posts: 33
    Options
    I am a food allergy mom, I had to cut allergens from my diet so that my daughter would stop having horrible eczema from nursing. Two and a half years later I still eat soy, wheat, milk, egg, peanut, tree nut, sesame, oat, etc. free. I'm also vegetarian to start so food restrictions are not new to me. Anyway, I have done elimination diets not so much to see what causes reactions in myself but to help my kids. My son is allergic to tomatoes, for example, and I found that out when his health improved after I cut tomatoes from my diet.

I wasn't able to see your diary but what foods do you think are the issue? Also, some take a LONG time to get out of your system. For example, for an elimination diet where you think dairy is the culprit as a nursing mom, you have to cut it out for about 3 weeks. Other things get out of your system faster than that, it seems.

One allergy my daughter seems to have grown out of is corn, it is HARD to avoid but we did for a long time. Citric acid is corn derived, for example.

There will be ups and downs, I know people that cut a food out and feel better and then worse and then better again. If you really think something is an issue, give it time. Having a food diary is a great tool in this case to figure out what may be a trigger for sensitivities or allergies. Perhaps you are missing some nutrients with a changed diet and you'll want to find different sources? Sorry to ramble, hang in there.

(Also, elimination diets and food challenges are the gold standard of food allergy testing, if you go to the Dr. and they suggest a blood test ask for the prick test instead. Cheaper AND more accurate. Might help narrow things down.)
  • chivalryder
    Options
    check out this girls website www.againstallgrains.com

its really amazing and she talks about a ton of different dietary restrictions

Looks good. I'll check it out! Thanks
  • tsavisky
    Options
    I just took a look at your food diary, dude you need some veggies! Cut out all that fruit and replace it with non starchy vegetables and you might feel a difference.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I am a food allergy mom, I had to cut allergens from my diet so that my daughter would stop having horrible eczema from nursing. Two and a half years later I still eat soy, wheat, milk, egg, peanut, tree nut, sesame, oat, etc. free. I'm also vegetarian to start so food restrictions are not new to me. Anyway, I have done elimination diets not so much to see what causes reactions in myself but to help my kids. My son is allergic to tomatoes, for example, and I found that out when his health improved after I cut tomatoes from my diet.

I wasn't able to see your diary but what foods do you think are the issue? Also, some take a LONG time to get out of your system. For example, for an elimination diet where you think dairy is the culprit as a nursing mom, you have to cut it out for about 3 weeks. Other things get out of your system faster than that, it seems.

One allergy my daughter seems to have grown out of is corn, it is HARD to avoid but we did for a long time. Citric acid is corn derived, for example.

There will be ups and downs, I know people that cut a food out and feel better and then worse and then better again. If you really think something is an issue, give it time. Having a food diary is a great tool in this case to figure out what may be a trigger for sensitivities or allergies. Perhaps you are missing some nutrients with a changed diet and you'll want to find different sources? Sorry to ramble, hang in there.

(Also, elimination diets and food challenges are the gold standard of food allergy testing, if you go to the Dr. and they suggest a blood test ask for the prick test instead. Cheaper AND more accurate. Might help narrow things down.)

I had cut out dairy a long time ago. It did help, and whenever I had something with dairy in it, my problems would flare up. I know it has a lot to do with it.

The naturopath whom I got the elimination diet from says 2-3 weeks before testing for foods.

Foods I cannot eat, that I can remember off the top of my head, are:

All red meats, all dairy, soy, strawberries, bananas, oranges and grapefruit, peanuts, and peanut-related nuts (cashews, for example), peppers, iceberg lettuce, dandelion, corn and things made from corn (that eliminates basically every single processed food that exists), tomatoes, gluten, wheat (yes, there are allergies for one or the other), table salt, food colouring, basically anything chemically made.

As for your daughter and corn, be weary that it could come back when she's in her mid-twenties. That's what happened to my mother and her sisters. It's also what's happening to me. I apparently had a lot of food allergies when I was very young, but as I got older, they went away. When I hit 23 or 24, they all started to slowly come back. That's why I'm doing the elimination diet now.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I just took a look at your food diary, dude you need some veggies! Cut out all that fruit and replace it with non starchy vegetables and you might feel a difference.

You think so? I'll give it a try. I have a hard time getting my calories in with veggies. They're so bland!
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I agree with the veggies. You need to get some of those in your diet.. There is a lot of fruit in there, and thus a lot of sugar. It may be natural sources.... but still a ton of sugar. Try reducing the servings of fruit to 1/2, and add ~3 servings of veggies.

I also second seeing your doctor..... he/she will be able to help diagnose if you have a food allergy versus a sensitivity. (Blood test.... had to do it to my 5 year old.... oh my..... the horror :wink: )

Good luck. GI issues are no fun....
  • chivalryder
    Options
    I can't do a blood test, and I don't believe they're as accurate as doing the diet. I don't have any health benefits from work yet (just a co-op student) and it's not covered by OHIP. It'll cost me about $250 to get a blood test. Not thanks.

This is why I'm doing the elimination diet.
  • tsavisky
    Options
    Yes definitly! They don't have to be bland either, you might just need to experiment with some recipes and start trying new things. You'll find something you like. They also may be something you just have to get used to if your only eating fruit. I would also recomment www.marksdailyapple.com for lots of recipes. I am beginning a paleo/primal type of eating and I've found a lot of things on his website that are very interesting.
  • Homa24
    Homa24 Posts: 33
    Options
    Table salt makes sense since it contains corn. Label laws in the US do not help matters at all - you may think you're avoiding something and then there's really cross contamination. This is my "what we eat" recipe page, many of them are free of the allergens you are mentioning: http://ohmahdeehness.wordpress.com/what-we-eat/ Some of the tomato recipes are from before my son's tomato allergy. I'm guessing tomatillos are an issue for you (but if they're not, they can be a tasty option to make sauces from) - and with peppers and tomatoes on your list I'd be careful of eggplant and other nightshades. So much is related, it is crazy. We carry an epi pen for my daughter, her oat and nut allergies are her most severe.

Our most common dinner is quinoa with roasted veggies. I broil the veggies on a large sheet pan about 4 inches away from the heating element. I can see how veggies are a tricky thing for you, have you considered juicing? Kale would be a great option (if it is okay considering your lettuce issue). With the right juicer you'll still be getting a bit of fiber and the like but you won't have the boring aspect of eating a plate of veggies. I don't know how much time you have for food prep in your day but Enjoy Life Foods make top 8 allergen free snacks and cereals that are great and if you have time to cook and bake I can point you to my favorite cookbooks.

The worst thing about the elimination diet is that it can be crazy-making. I got so depressed when I first started, not sure if it was withdrawal or what. Let a friend know you're doing this (if you haven't already) since it is good to have someone to vent to.
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I can't do a blood test, and I don't believe they're as accurate as doing the diet. I don't have any health benefits from work yet (just a co-op student) and it's not covered by OHIP. It'll cost me about $250 to get a blood test. Not thanks.

This is why I'm doing the elimination diet.

From experience, I can tell you that the blood test is incredibly accurate for nut/soy/milk/peanut allergy diagnosis, as it is an ELISA test and looking for a specific antibody/antigen interaction.

Elimination diets can give you a good idea of what makes your system react, however there is a big difference between allergy and sensitivity. (Like epi pen difference) So, if you are looking for digestive relief, then an elimination diet may enough for you to identify your triggers.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I suffered terrible IBS for years but it is now so much better that it hardly ever acts up. For me the triggers were stress (number one), dairy, caffeine and greasy food. Also, I find even to this day that I can only handle eating reasonably sized meals. If I eat until I'm quite full, the IBS flares up so smaller portions are key for me.

Maybe try easing back into exercise a little slower. For myself, going for long brisk walks also really helped with the IBS.

Good luck!