Can you lose your muscle tone in a week?

Options
I have recently been very sick with flu type and now I have pnuemonia so I can't do my workouts. I had been doing 30 DS and was feeling so good and addicted to my workout.

My question is this, I lost more weight but feel flabbier..Could I have lost what I muscle I had gained in such a short time or is it in my head.

Replies

• iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I injured/bruised a rib last week. I tried working out last night but it was just too painful. I'm going to take a full week off and I'm not worried about losing fitness at all. Went on vacation in June and didn't train for a week then either. First day back I went to the gym and didn't notice a single bit of decrease in strength.

It's all in your head. Taking a week of isn't going to make you lose anything you've gained in muscle mass or conditioning. Honestly some times it's good for you to take a small break and relax and if you're sick you need to take a break for sure. I've done strength training for years and you have to take off several months and just be lazy before you start seeing any sort of decline. Just continue eating well and don't worry about it.
  • Nutrition1st
    Nutrition1st Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Atrophy can't accelerate that fast. I think you are missing the pump that follows the workout. You will get it right back after your next workout!
  • poledancing_ninja
    Options
    No.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I just took a week off from heavy lifting. Started again Monday, and no issues. It felt great!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    In my (unprofessional) opinion, it sure feels like you can!

If I don't do anything with my arms for a week, its like starting over the next time I do them :frown:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    It can take a couple weeks of normal activity but no workouts to lose about 50% of aerobic capacity.
    It takes many months to do the same thing with strength capacity.

You may still be sick and recovering.
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I've been doing C25K and pulled a muscle in my back last week so I took off a week. I got back on the treadmill, and I was good at 5.5mph, now 5.0 was seeming to hard.

I think our body gets conditioned to certain training and time off can play a certain role, but I'm not educated enough to make a firm answer.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    You're not going to gain muscle with 30DS so no, you haven't lost what you didn't gain ;)

Chances are, your muscles were inflamed and retaining water from the strenuous workouts. With a week off they returned back to normal.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    No.
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Yes, atrophy can occur that fast. It occurs within 24 hrs of hospitalization (assuming you're bedbound). This has been studied. You will find the primary studies on PubMed/Medline.

I'm a physician, btw.
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    In my (unprofessional) opinion NO you can't you just missed the burn... Get well that is more important now. :bigsmile:
  • christiangandy
    christiangandy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    no....end of, dont panic, just get better x
  • mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    You're not going to gain muscle with 30DS so no, you haven't lost what you didn't gain ;)

Chances are, your muscles were inflamed and retaining water from the strenuous workouts. With a week off they returned back to normal.

Umm... You should check my results from doing 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30 if you truly believe you don't gain muscle. You are so totally wrong...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    most likely your muscles shed the water they were retaining due to the workouts, now that you stopped your muscles have no reason to store the excess water.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Atrophy can't accelerate that fast. I think you are missing the pump that follows the workout. You will get it right back after your next workout!

This, right after a work-out your muscles appear bigger from swelling. Having a week off let the swelling completely go away, and what you are seeing is the actual muscle mass you have without retained water (hence the decreased weight). Its actually advised to take a week off now and then to allow your muscles to completely recover/repair.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Umm... You should check my results from doing 30 Day Shred and Ripped in 30 if you truly believe you don't gain muscle. You are so totally wrong...

most likely if you did gain any it was minimal, what you did do was burn the fat on top of the muscle to make it more visible, and your muscles would have been swol (retaining water) due to the workouts which give the appearance of larger muscles. The weight you do in 30DS is no where near enough to actually increase muscle mass. These are cardio workouts using light weights, not strength training routines.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Oh yes you can. I do when I haven't lifted or ran in a week. Good news is it usually comes back in the first 2-3 times you work out again! Don't stress, it will come back quick!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    No, you can't lose muscle in a week. Your muscles can atrophy but not in that short amount of time. If you are retaining water, it may cause you to feel flabby. Once you feel well again, I bet you will see your musculature pop out again after ONE weight training session. Plenty of fluids. All that stuff :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Oh really - so what was the total weight of muscle gained? I'm assuming you used some method of measuring muscle mass to make a claim like that. I'm genuinely curious, I could see maybe a pound or two realistically. But probably zero.
  • fitbabe49
    fitbabe49 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer told me that you start losing your cardiovascular fitness after one week and your muscle mass after two weeks of inactivity. But once you get back into your exercise you will gain it back faster than when you first started.