Opinions on childhood obesity...

Options
EmilyMarieMo
EmilyMarieMo Posts: 67 Member
What's your opinion on childhood obesity?

I am a parent, so I fully understand trying to take something away from a child that they enjoy and find "comforting" is extremely hard to do when you start to realize it's becoming a problem of having it too much. You don't want to be the bad guy, and you don't want to see them sad and know, you are they one in control of that sadness. AND I realize the typical child has extremely picky taste buds.

But, do parents NOT see there is a problem and that they are actually hurting their children by letting the trend get worse as the child begins getting heavier? ...Hurting them physically, mentally and emotionally due to the type of world we live in that is cruel and lives under so many expectations from one another. Surely there has got to be subtle, healthy ways for parents to encourage children to change their eating habits and activity levels without pushing the discouraging "you are fat. Get off your butt, kid" type responses. Are parents just too afraid of hurting their kids’ feelings by bringing attention to the area in their life that is "less than perfect"?

I have seen SO many kids this summer while swimming that are overweight, and it seems to be especially the mid - late elementary school ages.... (kids that have more independence, but still VERY MUCH dependent on parental care.) SO many have a gut on them that just giggles away (all while wearing a two piece or no shirt as if it’s OK and acceptable to not even cover it up.)--- And I have a friend that has a preschooler that is extremely overweight, and I KNOW they use food as that kids main form of comfort!

When you see kids' parents and they are obese too... then it's easier to assume WHY the kid is overweight... same habits most likely. But what about the kids who don't have overweight parents and the kids are? (I'm talking OVERWEIGHT by quite a bit.... not just the thick looking kiddos) And even if the parents are overweight too, why do so many not care to at least make sure they don't cause their child the same lifestyle they suffer???

Kids seem so lazy and unwilling to push past their comfort zone now and days. (Going off what I see from volunteering at kids’ activities at church and interacting with friends' kids.) Why do parents think that they can't FORCE the kid to join them in physical activity like a walk, jog, bike ride, etc? I see parents all the time say (either verbally or via their decision to NOT RESPOND to the kid’s behavior or actions and ignore it) that it’s “ok” for their kid to not participate and be engaged.

Kids are not the ones doing the grocery shopping. EVEN if they are big enough and tall enough to reach the shelf with the chips and cookies... if it was not in the house, they wouldn't be able to eat it. And I know you can’t always control what happens outside of the house while the kids are in the care of someone else… but parents CAN let their kids know what good choices are and what bad choices are and what types of things their child should only have in small amount!

Believe me... I'm not a strict parent that never allows my kids unhealthy food... (They already get more than they should!) But I do make sure I keep my kids active and engaged in activities other than sitting all day long. And I encourage doing things that keeps us healthy makes us feel good. I also encourage my kids’ grandparents to keep in mind that “spoiling” my kids does not have to mean they are always given everything I don’t allow and that limits are still supposed to be respected for the health and well-being of my children! (This applies to everything; including sleep or lack thereof!) Just trying to plant seeds of a healthy lifestyle at least, so my kids will understand they are the ones in control of their lives and their health by the choices they make. But right now, I am here to help provide for their needs and guide those choices. …also I’m making sure I change my own bad habits, b/c I know I am their #1 influence in life. I very much believe my childhood is what shaped my eating habits. My overweight family celebrates EVERYTHING in life with food and they fill the voids of life with food. Food provides and instant gratification that is HARD to look past the negative effects of “too much” of that gratification! So early influence and lifestyle of limits and choices I believe is important, as well as teaching better ways of dealing with emotions other than food.

I'm just wondering what everyone's thoughts and opinions are about childhood obesity.

Do you think it's worse now than it was maybe 20-30 years ago? If so, why?
Any ideas on how to encourage it to change??? ... maybe even tips on how to talk to your own kids about positively encouraging OTHER kids that are overweight to make better choices, or if it really would even make a difference...

I'm just trying to wrap my head around the subject and everything that plays a role in it hoping to get some insight on how to do my part in helping slow or reverse the trend. I'm sure there are MANY different "situations" for topic... but generally... there has got to be a bigger main something or another that is common in this problem.
Sorry so long!

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    TL;DR

Some people are bad parents
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Parents just have to establish better habits for the FAMILY as a whole. It's not about what one kid eats. It's about what the whole family eats.

I was never obese as a child, but I was always somewhat overweight for my age and height. My dad used to sit me down and tell me what it was going to be like to be fat as I got older, and my mom would get mad at him and tell him he was going to cause me to have an eating disorder.

I didn't respond well to his "talks." It didn't give me a full-blown eating disorder, but there were times I tried to go all day without eating and times I tried to purge if I did eat something. It made me hate looking at myself in the mirror. It made me uncomfortable being around my dad because I felt like he was judging me.

The reason none of it worked the way he intended was because my family did not have healthy eating or exercise habits. It felt so hypocritical to me. And the parents' habits are what the kids adapt. If they grow up eating crap, they don't even know what healthy food is, let alone have an affinity for it. If they don't see their parents getting regular exercise, they don't see it as a lifestyle. They see it as something weird that only weird people do.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I think how some people let their children get borders on child abuse.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    if you let your kid get fat, that's abuse.

my best friend was overweight when we were younger - and still is. her sister tormented her. it was terrible.

i never want that for my children.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    This is a complete and total failure of the parents.
    There are things parents can do for their kids which most do not. I want my own children to be at the top of life's food chain.
    I have 5 kids and start them exercising at age 2. We call it "PT" which is USMC for "Physical Training".
    It's not play time but serious. And it's neither optional nor negotiable.
    At 8pm every day, we all gather and everybody does push-ups, pull-ups and sit ups. Once per week is self-defense training.
    We do not do any cardio as each kid in involved in sports: swimming, tennis, hiking, track or whatever.
    There is no TV or junk food allowed in the house, and computer time is limited and monitored.
    None of our kids have ever been fat, weak or bullied, and no teenager was ever on dope or in trouble.
    All excel in sports, school and their social network.
    Parents have a responsibility to prepare their kids for the rough world we live in.
    Success is a choice.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    My opinion - parents are too soft on kids now a days. You are the PARENT not the FRIEND, buck up and take it away. Yeah, they're not going to like it at first, but they will get over it. Kids need to be guided and sometimes you, as a parent, have to be a hard *kitten* if you want your child to behave, do what they're told, be a good kid, follow the rules, eat what they don't like, etc.
  • KaidaKantri
    KaidaKantri Posts: 401
    Options
    I agree with Bobby Clerici, it's a total failure of the parents. As a parent, you control their exercise and what they put in their mouth. My kids will have ice-cream, and goodies once in awhile, but for the most part, they ARE going to grow up on healthy foods. It's really important to teach our kids to be fit and healthy. I saw a kid who was probably about 4 years old, and obese already, she had no shoes on and she wanted to run around, the mom yelled at her to sit down. I wanted to go slap the mom SOOOO bad and tell her NO she (and you) Obviously need to move around so let her do it! I HATE it when I see an obese child. It always comes down to the parents, sadly enough. :(
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I think it is worse now than when I was a kid (I'm almost 29). In elementary school, I can think of maybe a handful of overweight kids. Now, it's more the norm. I think it's because, as parents, we have decided that kids can't be outside alone and they don't have as much free play time. Kids are in too many structured activities, and when they aren't doing those, they are playing video games or doing something else inside.
    My mom wasn't a great cook, and we had plenty of junk food in the house, but we spent hours and hours outside....riding our bikes, playing, etc. So we burned more calories than most kids today.
    I'm trying to set a good example for my daughter: food is to be enjoyed, but it's not the only important thing in life. Fitness is important. Be healthy 80% of the time so it's okay to have treats/lazy days 20% of the time.
    I don't keep junk food in the house (no chips, cookies, etc). We snack on fruit, crackers, nuts, etc. My daughter doesn't ask for candy at the store. She knows what is healthy and what isn't. It's a whole-family thing.
    But I do fight my in-laws on this issue. They are obese and like to give the grandkids tons of snacks and sweets. To the point that my daughter usually comes home with an upset stomach. I try to talk to them about it, but it falls on deaf ears. It's complicated at best (as they have some serious health problems that should be inspiring major changes, but unfortunately, no progress so far).
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I grew up obese because my parents did not believe in letting us out to play. We spent countless hours watching tv. As I grew older I chose to be sedentary. Then I met my husband who grew up playing outside, ran cross country and ate healthy. So As we evolved I became more active. Now we have two children, I make sure they play. We go to the park and explore. We play on monkey bars, play hide and seek, and go on bike rides. In don't keep sugary snacks around and my kids have NEVER tried soda. They are convinced that apple juice is only juice if it comes with water in it. I even make them mac and cheese with puree veggies. We enjoy some snacks from time to time, but I had added my family to my journey. We all eat better and my kids love it. We are not perfect, but I refuse to stock my home with Hawaiian punch and Oreos.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Some parents just don't know any better. It's how they eat and they've fallen into the lie that it's just 'baby' fat. Our society is a lazy society and too many people have fallen into it.

I don't think they're BAD parents. I just think they're ignorant parents.

My mother was a single mom. Over worked. Underpaid. She was so tired and stressed all the time that she couldn't be bothered to watch what we were eating. I ballooned to 213 lbs by the time I was 13!!! But I don't blame her. I DO wish she had stepped in but I know she had a lot on her shoulders already. She kept us alive and for me that's enough.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Like you mentioned it is the parents choice. Today alot of parents both work, leaving the child at daycare all day and coming home to grab the fastest thing you can find...usually fast food.

I know i have been guilty of this before, but my daughter is used to asking for an apple, banana, grapes, carrots if she wants a snack... why? because its one of the only things at are sweet in my house...once in awhile low calorie ice cream or fudge bars.

We all eat the same low calorie, healthy foods, all eat the same snacks...she sees me cook the meals for dinner days before, she sees me at the gym and at home working out, she also sees me snacking on carrots...so shes used to it.

You have to be a good role model....she may not follow in the right path when shes older, but at least your doing your best by putting the correct information in her mind.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    IMO, parents need to lead by example, like another poster said, with that example being a whole family leading a healthy lifestyle.

I think what happens is parents want their kid to shut up so they give them a candy bar. or mcdonalds. Or maybe its just convenient and easy and cheap. I cannot judge on these aspects.

Excersise should be integrated as a fun thing to do, getting kids involved in sports and family outings, instead of video games and otherwise sedentary tendencies

I also think its a cool idea to teach kids nutrition and cooking early on. One day when I have my babies I want to do this with them. Cooking and food are great joys in my life and I want to pass that feeling on to them with some skills and healthy habits they can carry throughout their lives. That way they are also bonding and learning and being included in something.
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of reasons for it. Inactive lifestyle can be attributed to safety (parents are reluctant to just fire their kids out into the neighborhood to play with all the scary things on the news), lack of parental time/energy, and lack of safe and convenient play space... with computers and video games filling the void. Poor diet can be attributed to that same lack of time and the fact that it's often cheaper to buy the crappier fast food option than the healthier options.

I've got it made with my kids: my almost 15 year old is extremely active with biking. My two year old has never had ice cream (we don't keep it in the house), so when my husband was going to get a sweet treat for him and my toddler at the corner store while I was in the doctor's office with my three month old, he didn't have any interest in the ice cream counter. Instead my two year old demanded grapes. (No, I'm not one of those weird moms that never lets the kids have anything junk. My two year old is very adept at the word "cookie" and has just started requesting "apple oo" (apple juice). He gets granola bars and his apple juice is diluted.)

On the bright side, those obese children you've seen at the swimming pool were swimming. So there's some exercise.
  • Furbuster
    Furbuster Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and I was a fat kid. I never had chocolate, junk or crisps (one bar of chocolate a week if my Dad allowed it). I had 3 meals a day, meat and two veg, a traditional working-class UK diet.

We did not have pcs or an xbox 30 years ago, we played in fields and did rounders. I just over-ate.
    As I grew into a teenager I took control of my eating and thankfully have not become an obese adult....

My point is it did happen even then with a different diet and lifestyle than many children of today (although rarer).
  • carpetbagger12000
    carpetbagger12000 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    We all think that chubby babies are cute. So where does it stop? Rollypolly babies turn into chubby toddlers who became fat preschoolers who are enormous by the time they hit high school. Of course I blame it on parents who find that stuffing their kid's mouth with sweets will keep him from complaining, and I blame it on society for taking away the stigma of being fat. We're all into building up a child's self esteem and if that kid is overweight, well we try to make that okay. But it's not okay. It's wrong, it's bad for the kid and if he doesn't slim down pretty soon, he's in it for the long haul.

If we want to stop seeing overweight kids, we have to stop buying the kinds of things that will make them fat. When my kids were little, I never even gave them between-meal snacks because I didn't want them to start establishing bad eating habits. At meals, I never overfed them. While I was in control of what they ate, how much and when, they never had weight issues. It was later, when they had more independence and started making their own lunches to take to school, that the problems began.

I guess at that point they were no longer children and their overweight was their own making.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    What's your opinion on childhood obesity?

Do you think it's worse now than it was maybe 20-30 years ago? If so, why?

In regards to this, I wasn't around then but what I understand is that it was a lot different. Fast food was not as much as it is today, availability wise or lifestyle wise, if that makes sense.. My grandmother cooked dinner every night for my parents and aunts and uncles, etc. HOWEVER: my great aunt said that she used to give my dad and his siblings cigarettes and whiskey for christmas....lolol so idk which is better
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I do believe it's a parenting fail, from the beginning. Yes my children are still very young (27 months and 9 months). My 27 month old can walk 5k, then still have enough energy to run around the playground for over an hour. While she does get the occasional treat, that is just it, they are treats, not everyday meals. I am trying to teach my children that food is fuel, not an emotional crutch.
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Children are going to emulate what they grow up with. If you raise them with a healthy lifestyle, that will become the norm for them and more often than not they will carry on with it when they are older. If you (the parent) sit on your butt and eat crap all day, then heck yeah, your kids are going to think THAT'S ok. I'm not the model parent, believe me, but my daughter knows that she does not get dessert EVERY day, and when we have treats, we have ONE and it's done. I've been entering more races lately and trying to get her involved. She did a 5K walk and we did a "Foam Fest" fun run together. On nice days (we live in WA) I tell her she has to go play outside for a while before she can come inside. Ensuring I'm setting a good example for her helps to keep ME on track as well. Now we just need to work on TV time...we all watch a little too much ;)

But yeah, unless the kid has a medical disorder, the blame lies fully on the parents shoulders.
  • archgrrrl
    archgrrrl Posts: 62
    Options
    I have no idea if more children are overweight now as opposed to 20 or 30 years ago. I'm not really sure how that information could be had or how accurate it would actually be. But if it is the case that more children today have more body fat than children from 20 or 30 years ago (or even 50 years ago), here are my opinions as to why that might be the case:

1. Parents are generally overworked, underpaid, and poorly supported.

2. Many parents have been chronically dieting for decades and have compromised their own relationships with food.

3. Poverty levels have increased.

4. An increased focus on the alleged "obesity epidemic" and how it will "cost" our country.

5. Massive farm subsidies for corporate farms to produce cheap crops which are then turned into cheap, calorie-dense "foods"

6. It's in the corporations' best interests to maintain an "obese" consumer base.

Most parents, while not completely blameless, have far fewer choices than many seem to think.
  • stepherzzzzz
    stepherzzzzz Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    My opinion - parents are too soft on kids now a days. You are the PARENT not the FRIEND, buck up and take it away. Yeah, they're not going to like it at first, but they will get over it. Kids need to be guided and sometimes you, as a parent, have to be a hard *kitten* if you want your child to behave, do what they're told, be a good kid, follow the rules, eat what they don't like, etc.

I agree. I work at Walmart and there's a McDonald's in the building and there are several families that I see eating there four or five times a week. I think that's disgusting. Too many parents let their kids call the shots just to avoid hearing them complain.