Does anyone notice..

Options
InnerFatGirl
InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
that they get more attention, so to speak, from their weight loss as they get smaller?

When I lost the first 20lbs, not many people mentioned it. They did sometimes if I brought it up, or we were having a conversation about weight, but I didn't get much 'wow, you've lost weight!'s.

But since those first 20lbs, it's the first thing out of most people's mouths.

I LOVE it. It makes me feel so good.

But I really wonder if every lb (okay, more like 3 or more) gone is more noticable because I am smaller now?

Anyone else noticed this? Chime in with your experiences :flowerforyou:

Replies

• iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    absolutely. it does feel great :) Thats all my family members will talk about.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    absolutely. it does feel great :) Thats all my family members will talk about.

Yeah, it was like that for me when I went to a family event last week. I loved it :)
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    it is an AWESOME feeling.
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I actually find it really uncomfortable and just sort of dimiss it. Not sure why really.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I actually find it really uncomfortable and just sort of dimiss it. Not sure why really.

I'm the same. If someone mentions how much weight I've lost I pooh-pooh it and just say I've got a lot more to lose yet even though I don't really want to lose any more. I think I just feel that I SHOULD be saying I must shed the lard, lol!
  • dinoring
    dinoring Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to get to that point! I've lost 18 lbs. and haven't had any "Hey, have you lost weight?" moments yet, but I'm hoping that will come as I continue to lose! I'm halfway to my goal, so hopefully it's right around the bend. :)
  • kaubin97
    kaubin97 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to get to that point! I've lost 18 lbs. and haven't had any "Hey, have you lost weight?" moments yet, but I'm hoping that will come as I continue to lose! I'm halfway to my goal, so hopefully it's right around the bend. :)

It is exciting but remember; some people are nervous to ask as they don't want to insult you, by thinking you were bigger before.
    Doesn't mean they don't always notice though.

Great job on every pound lost whether it's 18 or 3. It's more than the couch potatoe is losing :bigsmile:
  • Lwillis1234
    Lwillis1234 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Yes, my sister noticed it first, then my mom, and aunt AND NOW my co-workers :)
    EDIT: To say I lost 53lbs so far almost to the half way point!
  • jessig715
    jessig715 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's a GREAT feeling! I got some attention after 20 lbs or so, but I REALLY started getting comments after I got past 40...last weekend I saw a bunch of people that hadn't seen me in months, and I got comment after comment from people about how they didn't recognize me at first, and how much smaller I was! I agree, it gets uncomfortable sometimes (I'm bad with compliments I guess) but it is SO motivational to know people see the difference and it really keeps me going! Congrats on your loss!!
  • Ilovejacks
    Ilovejacks Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I mostly celebrate with my husband and my dad calls me every Tuesday to see how much i lost.My friend i see the most won't even compliment me @ all(it's so wierd)so i never talk about my loss or the gym in front of her.My sister doesn't say a word either.Thank God I really am just doing it for me!!!!!
    I've never been someone that takes Compliments well anyway........I give myself "Atagirl" looks all the time:)
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Of course.
    People are stunned. They've been holding their tongues with things they should have said and didn't.
    Welcome to the human race.:drinker:
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options

me too. I get awkward with compliments.
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    In the first 20 pounds I had lost before the site, no one had said a thing. Actually they would say that it doesn't look like I had lost much. But I think it depends on how often you see those people, cause my husband would be like wow, your waist looks really great and was really encouraging. But now that I've lost another 15 pounds people like freak out when they see me! Its awesome. Also, when I go running I get a lot of whistles and honks and last night someone yelled out nice *kitten* haha. I mean I don't like that stuff but I think its funny. My husband obviously doesn't either haha. I've been asked out about 3 times in the past 2-3 weeks. They always look so sad when I tell them I'm married!
  • boopboopadoop
    Options
    I lost a good bit of weight a year ago and was delighted with myself. Felt fantastic! A lot of people said I was looking great. Then a couple of jealous/bitter "friends" started *****ing and saying they were "worried", even though I was eating healthy and going to the gym. They saw my normal portion sizes, looked at their own huge ones and assumed that I was the one with the problem! Hmmph! I've put that weigh back on since, but now I'm determined to lose it for once and for all. Won't let them get me down this time! :)
  • hockeyfan87
    hockeyfan87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I have 18lbs gone, and no one mentions it or seems to notice. I find it discouraging really. I like people taking notice of my hard work, maybe it's just me :p
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    My husband lost about 30 lbs using MFP. People would call me to make sure it was "on purpose" and that he wasn't ill before they mentioned it to him. I find that I have to lose at least 25lbs before anyone will notice.

And let me tell all of you right now: you look fantastic!! great work!!
  • MissyDonnieGirl6975
    Options
    Two of the managers came to my desk today and had me twirl around and told me I look great and that it's really noticable that I've lost weight. Made my day. :)
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I've lost 18lbs, and very few people have said anything. I wish more people did!
  • BibiFit03
    BibiFit03 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The first pounds you lose are always harder to see than the last ones. The paper towel analogy explains why:

http://leanbodiesconsulting.com/articles/The+Paper+Towel+Analogy

Also, I think weight is such a sensitive issue for so many people, nobody wants to say anything about it until they're really sure what's going on.
  • PrettyMindy14
    PrettyMindy14 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    It took a while for anyone to even mention anything to me but I've noticed lately I've been getting a lot of attention about it. It's really awesome for people to finally say something about my hard work with out me mentioning anything. I think,only as of recently, I've been able to notice it more myself too.

:)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!