How true are MFP's Exercise Calories Burned?

Options

Replies

• NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I assume they over estimate a lot but some things are pretty accurate. The biggest problem if a 6'4'' 325lbs man runs 6mph for 30 minutes he is going to burn a lot more calories than a 5' 4'' 130lbs girl.
    For running at least you can use an app. I run 3 gps apps on my phone (Nike+, Endomondo and iSmoothRun which syncs to RunKeeper). End result is that I get 4 (RunKeeper takes the app data and uses its own calorie algorithm on it) which take into account my pace, weight and even the cadence of my stride.

I always use the lowest # of calories, but usually all the apps are close. And nowhere near MFP. :(
  • mistimn
    mistimn Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    They are low for me so I calculate my own calories burned by heart rate :)
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    using my HRM and in comparison, I have found MFP's numbers some are high and some are lower than my HRM. So needless to say I dont exactly trust them but for a general guideline for those without a HRM, guesstimate a little lower than MFPs numbers
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I find most are high. My HRM says elliptical today was 535, MFP says 720. If people trust those numbers and eat back calories they will be sadly disappointed.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I assume they over estimate a lot but some things are pretty accurate. The biggest problem if a 6'4'' 325lbs man runs 6mph for 30 minutes he is going to burn a lot more calories than a 5' 4'' 130lbs girl.

It does take weight into consideration - my exercise calories burned go down as I lose weight (based on the same exercise).

I just got an HRM - but am finding the numbers to be pretty close - withing 5% most of the time. Perhaps it overadjusts for the weight difference and is closer now that I'm getting closer to a healthy BMI?
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I generally doc my time by about 5 mins or so. So if I go on a 60 minute walk I reduce the time I input on MFP, I eat my exercuse cals so Id rather not over eat them
  • RobC04
    RobC04 Posts: 8
    Options
    I have read that heart rate monitors really aren't that accurate at estimating calories burned. Even this article that states Polar heart rate monitors are pretty good say they are only about 75% accurate (http://www.livestrong.com/article/490909-the-accuracy-of-calories-burned-in-polar-heart-rate-monitors/). I have no idea if their numbers are right, but I have seen many places saying heart rate is not a good predictor of calories burned. Even devices such as the Bodymedia Fit and BoduBugg don't even use heart rate at all because they say it doesn't add value to their methods. I wear a heart rate monitor and like it, but I'm not sure the calories are accurate. My Garmin 305 was usually within 10% or so of my Bodymedia Fit, but I think it uses distance ran, weight, and gate to estimate calories.

Also, heart rate monitors typically only do a decent job with activities like walking and running, not strength training: http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75
  • karagetsfit
    karagetsfit Posts: 191
    Options
    I personally don't trust MFP's estimates. I use a chest strap HRM and the values from there are always higher or lower, and rarely within 20 kcals of MFP's readings (20 cals from a 150-200 cal walk to work is a substantial difference).

Invest in a HRM. It'll be the best money you could spend.

This. The difference from before I got my heart rate monitor till now is amazing. I burn way more than MFP suggests.
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    it's definitely over the actual amount. Compared to the HRM its at minimum 100 or more calories higher
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    MFP is always much lower than my HRM when it comes to walking. Turbo Jam is pretty close, though.

I use a Timex HRM, and I calculate my BMR for my exercise time so I can subtract it from my HRM reading.

Example: my BMR divided by 24 hours is 53, so if I exercise for an hour, I subtract 53 from the total on my HRM.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I have read that heart rate monitors really aren't that accurate at estimating calories burned. Even this article that states Polar heart rate monitors are pretty good say they are only about 75% accurate (http://www.livestrong.com/article/490909-the-accuracy-of-calories-burned-in-polar-heart-rate-monitors/). I have no idea if their numbers are right, but I have seen many places saying heart rate is not a good predictor of calories burned. Even devices such as the Bodymedia Fit and BoduBugg don't even use heart rate at all because they say it doesn't add value to their methods. I wear a heart rate monitor and like it, but I'm not sure the calories are accurate. My Garmin 305 was usually within 10% or so of my Bodymedia Fit, but I think it uses distance ran, weight, and gate to estimate calories.

Also, heart rate monitors typically only do a decent job with activities like walking and running, not strength training: http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75

Depends on which Polar, and are you accepting default values, or figuring out your own stats, and sadly, are you male or female.

3 guesses as to which gender get's defaults that are most inaccurate. First 2 don't count.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study

Correct on aspect that anything non-aerobic, actually, steady state aerobic, will be inaccurate. So wearing it all day, or for intervals, or weight lifting, those are either anaerobic, or not steady state, or not aerobic between 90-160 bpm.

Edit: very true on the Garmin 305 - didn't even use HR is calorie estimates. But the newer Garmins use a algorithm from Firstbeat that studies have shown to be very good, and actually for anaerobic too. Because it incorporates your VO2 and breathing rate.
    It's very interesting that later in a ride, even with the HR the same, the calorie count will go down because I'm breathing easier. It can tell the HR is elevated from heat, not effort to produce energy. Very cool.
  • JustinJoanknecht
    JustinJoanknecht Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Interesting......my Polar FT7 is giving much LOWER calories burned than MFP says...........I am big (6'4") and heavy (104KG) but not massively overweight, only a little and I play a lot of squash which is high heart rate stuff..........but on my walks/runs, I'm getting a much lower (typically 50%) reading of calories burned off the HR monitor than MFP's estimate.............thoughts anyone?
  • heybales
    Options
    Interesting......my Polar FT7 is giving much LOWER calories burned than MFP says...........I am big (6'4") and heavy (104KG) but not massively overweight, only a little and I play a lot of squash which is high heart rate stuff..........but on my walks/runs, I'm getting a much lower (typically 50%) reading of calories burned off the HR monitor than MFP's estimate.............thoughts anyone?

The exercise database that MFP uses only takes into account your weight, not gender, not age, and of course no idea of your level of effort.

I just did an hour recovery walk last night, and actually MFP was only 20 cal higher that HRM.
    So their entry for walking 4mph (which they don't know hills too, right, 4mph up hills is harder than flat) must be based on about a HR of 40% of max - which is not much effort at all.

So if walking 4mph is harder effort for you and your HR reaches 50-60%, than MFP will underestimate.
    If it is even less effort because you did keep it flat perhaps, than MFP will overestimate.

If you are heavy but got the muscle to make it not that difficult, likely MFP will overestimate.

Here is calculator that is interesting if using treadmill - because the energy to move certain mass a speed and distance at an incline is mathematical, and interesting comparison as to how efficient your system is.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html
  • cobaltis
    cobaltis Posts: 191 Member
    Options

It actually takes your weight into account here.... but still I think it overestimates a lot of things, I try not to eat back anywhere near all of my exercise calories
  • ichigo007
    ichigo007 Posts: 97
    Options
    i think MFP also needs a spot where you can put your known bofy fat % so it can more accuratlly calculate your calories and true bmi
  • heybales
    Options
    i think MFP also needs a spot where you can put your known bofy fat % so it can more accuratlly calculate your calories and true bmi

Oh yeah, better BMR estimate to base their calcs on would be great, even give the bodyfat% calc.

They could also have option to use ticker for that stat, or perhaps measurements since many times those will go down faster than weight will.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My HRM has been pretty closes to MFP. I don't work out with the same intensity each time so it fluctuates. Sometimes lower then MFP, sometimes higher and sometimes nearly spot on.
  • MumMumOfMany
    MumMumOfMany Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    No idea how accurate it is but will say one thing, durin my weight loss process ive only eva used MFP's calorie estimates for both foods eaten and what burned through exercise and im dwn 57lb. so they must be doing something right yh? :-)
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    They are low for me so I calculate my own calories burned by heart rate :)

They're low for me too. I'm 5'9", 174lbs and my calories burned, according to my heart rate monitor, is always higher. If you're interested in an HRM check out the Polar brand. They have a whole range of monitors to fit your needs. There are also basic HRMs at Walmart and Target.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    In my experience they are seriously inflated.