Am I losing weight too fast?

Options
2»

Replies

• KimH313
    KimH313 Posts: 162
    Options
    Im jealous.... ;) Dont worry, it wont go on like that forever. You will plateau and then wonder WTF like the rest of us LOL! Enjoy it while you can!

took the words right out of my mouth! i lost pretty much all my weight in about 4 months and have been the same ever since. enjoy it while you can lol
  • Homa24
    Homa24 Posts: 33
    Options
    I'm still nursing as well, starting from a similar point as you with a similar goal. Feel free to add me if you'd like! I think losing quickly at first is pretty normal, I set my MFP to "maintain" at first just to get a feeling for what I was eating calorie-wise. I lost anyway with exercise and the night nursing. I then started to eat junk in the evenings to catch up on calories so I changed my settings to 1/2 a pound a week and it has worked out much better. Good for you for being mindful of your body and wanting gradual loss! My first 10 lbs. took 70 days but I think these last 20 or so will take much, much longer.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    RealWomenLovePitbulls Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    your weight can fluctuate like that from day to day depending on water and all that other stuff, i wouldnt worry about it, if it was a more dramatic difference, then i would, but i think it is good.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    The breastfeeding adds something like 500 calories to your daily energy expenditure.
    The sedentary setting is not really appropriate for anyone who is active at all.
    Bump up the activtiy level, and log the breastfeeding.

Actually, sedentary is for anyone that does not work in an active setting (say a factory or construction). It's based on what you do the majority of the day. So office workers are always sedentary. A stay at home parent would be sedentary as well. Even people that work out an hour/day are considered sedentary. It's what you're doing for the majority of each day. That's according to the MFP guidelines.

Yep but the guidelines don't work. Technically I should be set to Sedentary, but I need to have it set to Very Active in order for the MFP numbers to match reality.
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else says, if you don't feel like you are starving yourself and are staying hydrated then it's just simply weight loss. There were a couple of weeks where I lost 6 pounds in a week when I first started. It'll slow down when your body catches up with your increased activity level.

On another note, you should start Insanity today!
  • christiangandy
    christiangandy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    dont worry, your body will fluctuate on a daily basis, up and down by an average of 2.2lbs per day, depending on food intake, water retention etc, so weigh urself in a week or so, it should even out
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    1. A lot of people see a large initial loss in terms of water weight. I'm not saying you aren't losing mass in the form of fat, but I don't think you're necessarily losing too much mass too rapidly.

2. If you plan on eating your exercise calories back, sedentary is a good option. A lot of people get very personally offended by the idea of labeling themselves as "sedentary", but it's not an emotional thing, it's just a modifier to estimate how many calories you typically burn in a day. Even if you plan on exercising more often, unless you're completely overhauling your lifestyle (by several hours a day at least), I would probably not change your activity modifier. Some of this is experimentation, and the activity level modifiers are not entirely accurate, but I personally find it simpler to set my activity level to "sedentary" and then eat more when I'm active.

3. Edited to add the most important thing: If you're seeing the results you want, you feel good and energetic and you're happy, then why change anything?
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    Don't worry, it'll slow down soon--unfortunately ;o). It's just the initial change in lifestyle. Take care!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    it is the body giving you motivation to keep going...but do not fear, in the very near future, you will slow down...then level out...then maybe even struggle to get going again. It is a vicious cycle....
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You're fine. I lose it fast sometimes and slow sometimes and it all adds up to good news. If you know you're eating enough and not over doing it with exercise, then love the results and stop worrying.
  • ponyfan81
    ponyfan81 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Actually, sedentary is for anyone that does not work in an active setting (say a factory or construction). It's based on what you do the majority of the day. So office workers are always sedentary. A stay at home parent would be sedentary as well. Even people that work out an hour/day are considered sedentary. It's what you're doing for the majority of each day. That's according to the MFP guidelines.

Maybe that's what the words say, but I recommend that you wear a fitbit, heart rate monitor, or bodybugg for a day and then tell us that you were "sedentary" even when you sat most of the day at your office.

I am an office worker that sits quite a bit (I will get up to get water/use restroom periodically, but normally sitting) and I fit into the "very active" category even on days that I do not exercise. On those days I often add 300-400 calories based on my fitbit, sometimes more.

I've lost 60 lbs in a little over 6 months this way eating about 2000 cal/day.
  • Homa24
    Homa24 Posts: 33
    Options
    Also, did you know you can add nursing in your food diary? It will show up as negative calories and you can select different options based on frequency. I haven't used it because I am trying to wean my son (he'll be 2 next month) but since your son is still nursing a couple times you could factor that in and eat those lost calories to slow your loss if it is worrying you. Apologies if this is something you already take into account!
  • ocylott
    ocylott Posts: 31
    Options
    Actually, sedentary is for anyone that does not work in an active setting (say a factory or construction). It's based on what you do the majority of the day. So office workers are always sedentary. A stay at home parent would be sedentary as well. Even people that work out an hour/day are considered sedentary.

You're clearly not taking parents of toddlers into account. The only time I get to sit is when my two-year-old is napping.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Actually, sedentary is for anyone that does not work in an active setting (say a factory or construction). It's based on what you do the majority of the day. So office workers are always sedentary. A stay at home parent would be sedentary as well. Even people that work out an hour/day are considered sedentary.

You're clearly not taking parents of toddlers into account. The only time I get to sit is when my two-year-old is napping.

Yes, but the OP mentioned she was a couch potato.
  • kapzilla
    kapzilla Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm eating enough, because I feel energized all the way until I'm getting ready for bed. I didn't have energy like this before I started tracking my calorie intake and exercising. I don't get that sluggish feeling around 3-4pm anymore. I've only been tracking with MFP for 3 weeks.

I have noticed my clothes are fitting differently, and I'm about to have to put some of my jeans up and away because they're just too big now!

I try to drink about 13 cups of water a day. I have a 36oz water bottle that I fill 3 times. I vaguely remember reading that increased water intake will help with water weight, so maybe that's true for me.

Also, thanks for letting me know that you can adjust for breastfeeding! I'm gonna have to go look that stuff up now.

So I guess the consensus is that if I'm feeling fine, energized and not sluggish, then I should be fine?

I've never tried to eat right and lose weight, so I really don't know what's normal for me. That is why I'm weighing myself every day at the same time.. I'm only checking in for weight lost, but I have seen how it can fluctuate, and I expected it to. I HAVE noticed that a high sodium day will make me weigh more the next morning.
  • kapzilla
    Options

Yes, but the OP mentioned she was a couch potato.

Yep, definitely a couch potato here. My oldest son is almost 5, and my youngest is just shy of 18 months old. My youngest does not walk yet, so it's quite easy to be lazy with them. I'm sure it'll change once he starts really moving. LOL

After I notice my weight stabilizing, is that when I should adjust my lifestyle modifier?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Who burns more calories, a person who sits behind a desk or a mother who chases their children around, lifting them to change them, etc.. Generally, stay at home moms are lightly active.

OP, you can't judge your weight loss by a daily weight in. Your weight will fluctuate daily and tomorrow you might be up 2-3 lbs based on sodium content alone. I can tell you that you didnt' lose 2 lbs of fat in 2 days, that means you would need to burn 7000 calories more than you eat.
  • kapzilla
    Options
    I know it's not fat pounds that I'm losing. I know the basics of it due to what I learned while in the military. I just didn't know if it was okay to lose that much weight so quickly, even if it were water weight.

I also know that my weight can fluctuate. I do not adjust my weight daily on MFP, only when it's at a new low. Like I said earlier, the daily weight checks is only to see how my body reacts to specific things. So far high sodium is my worst enemy.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    The breastfeeding adds something like 500 calories to your daily energy expenditure.
    The sedentary setting is not really appropriate for anyone who is active at all.
    Bump up the activtiy level, and log the breastfeeding.

Yep but the guidelines don't work. Technically I should be set to Sedentary, but I need to have it set to Very Active in order for the MFP numbers to match reality.

Yep, same for me. According to MFP I should be sedentary but that only works if I do not walk ANYWHERE EVER. That means no walking to starbucks to get a coffee, no post-lunch stroll, no grocery shopping trip, no cooking or cleaning at home. Or well I mean, sedentary would work if I logged every little thing I do but that's way too annoying. So I think almost EVERYONE needs to bump up their activity level by 1 above what they think, to account for all the little stuff you do, people with young kids or who do a lot more cooking and cleaning than average probably need to bump up 2 levels.

*edit* yes and THEN you'd also add your deliberate exercise calories in - or alternately bump yourself up yet another level or 2 and don't add them