How are you logging interval running (or C25K programs?)

Options
Hey guys!

I'm working on a C25K program (just started week 3, woot!) and I'm wondering how other people log it. I've been logging the walking at a brisk pace separately from the minutes running, but I don't know if that's the most effective way to do it.

Any opinions?

If anyone wants a c25k-er buddy, feel free to add me :)

Replies

• Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I log the running and walking separately as well. Seems to be the easiest way to do it!
  • shelbynicole32
    shelbynicole32 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I do it on the treadmill so I have a better idea of what to log.. I'm not accountable if I run outside.
  • katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    glad you posted this - i'm logging it the same way (so, for instance, today i did w5d2, which was 16 min jogging & 15 min brisk walk)... will be interesting to see what other people have to say.
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    I just log the running and leave the walking out....
    This deliberately understates the calories but seems to work for me....
  • Abbygrlbff
    Abbygrlbff Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I did this program, and I'm currently do the 10K ap. I log the run/walk as separate items.
  • Lesley2901
    Lesley2901 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I log the running and walking separately as well. Seems to be the easiest way to do it!

I do this too. I'm just going on to W9 so it's been a lot easier to log the past two weeks because it's just been a five minute warm up then a run.

Edited for spelling!
  • jessjpjb
    jessjpjb Posts: 38
    Options
    I just did W1D2 this morning and log the walking/jogging seperatley as well
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    the rundouble app tells me the calories, I just enter enough minutes of jogging to match the number.
  • jumpyjavajawa
    jumpyjavajawa Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I log it as treadmill (cause that's what I use), input the time and adjust the calories based in what the treadmill says.
  • TaylorsGranddad
    TaylorsGranddad Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I used to log running and walking as slowest on MFP, now I use map my run, as it uses GPS, I also checked the calories with MFP & map my run, there both about the same.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I created my own exercises for each interval: walk 4/run 1 at 5.4 pace, walk 3/run 2 at 5.4 pace, etc etc. I think it accomplishes the same thing as logging separately, but there could be a difference.
  • rhodauni
    rhodauni Posts: 5
    Options
    I've just been logging the total time and the workout week.
  • gerlonfire
    gerlonfire Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I logged the total time based on the overall speed I was averaging for the duration. If I hit an speed pace on the average I would round down to the nearest half a mile until I hit the next .5 mph speed pace.
  • RoseAmongThorns91
    RoseAmongThorns91 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I created my own exercise, wear a heart monitor and record time/calories.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    i log it by time and distance so if it as taken me 1 hr to cover 5 miles i put 60 mins at 5mph
  • becky3277
    becky3277 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor with a watch and log it how ever you want. I have a Polar FT4 and use it for everything.
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    i highly recommend getting a HRM that way you can just wear it while you do it, and then create a new exercise and enter the exact calories. This is, obviously, only if you have the money to get one (keep in mind, there are several inexpensive ones on the market)

and just my 2 cents-- it might be the best investment in your health that you make.

Otherwise, i'd say log them separately like you're already doing. I use my HRM, though. (Polar FT4)
  • jella74
    jella74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I use the MapMyRun app it calculates as running interval training so it averages out the walking and running by speed and time. I log it in as running (jogging), training, pushing wheelchair. The calorie burn for that is usually very close to the calorie burn the mapmyrun app has.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I just did week 8, day 1 yesterday. I do my program on a treadmill at my local Y, and log on MFP using the average speed the treadmill says I did, along with the calories it says I burned. Week 8 and 9 are easier to log because they no longer have intervals built in, but they are all challenging in their own way. I wish you many happy runs as you go through this well thought out program, and find a fitter you at the end!
  • kendrart
    kendrart Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies everyone! Some good tips.

I'll definitely think about getting a heart rate monitor, that's a clever suggestion.

As far as the distance / duration - I have been figuring out how far I've been running, and going by how much of that distance I was actually running figure out my speed from there.