DDR and other exercise games?

Options
I have DDR (dance dance revolution) and one of those exercise games for kinect, now I'm just wondering how I would track that on here. Like today, I plan on playing DDR for an hour or two, but I'm not sure what to put it as when I track it?

I don't have a HRM so I can't track with that D:
Any help at all would be great.

Replies

• beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You could input it as dancing. Or some form of running?

Did a quick Google. Here's from a Livestrong article.

In 2007, researchers from the La Crosse Exercise and Health Program at the University of Wisconsin studied the health benefits of Dance Dance Revolution. The research found that DDR players burned an average of 5.9 calories per minute when playing "light mode." Players burned 6.7 calories per minute when playing "standard mode" and 8.1 calories per minute when playing "difficult mode."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/302934-calories-burned-playing-dance-dance-revolution/#ixzz20F9PmzMl
  • jen_bd6
    jen_bd6 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    You can input it as dancing under cardiovascular. That's what I see most people do :)
  • jadedzen
    jadedzen Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    that is awesome research. posting here so i can find this thread again. i love dance video games.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    You could input it as dancing. Or some form of running?

Did a quick Google. Here's from a Livestrong article.

In 2007, researchers from the La Crosse Exercise and Health Program at the University of Wisconsin studied the health benefits of Dance Dance Revolution. The research found that DDR players burned an average of 5.9 calories per minute when playing "light mode." Players burned 6.7 calories per minute when playing "standard mode" and 8.1 calories per minute when playing "difficult mode."

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/302934-calories-burned-playing-dance-dance-revolution/#ixzz20F9PmzMl

Thanks for the information!!

The DDR game does count calories burned during play, but I just wasn't sure if I should add them like that since it probably isn't that accurate. So I guess I could add it as dancing!
    Thanks a lot :)
  • maverick_76
    Options
    DDR is awesome! I need to find one again cause my pad is broke :(
  • Octopies
    Octopies Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    In some versions of DDR (Supernova 1 and 2 for sure) there is an exercise mode that lets you put in your weight. It'll calculate how many calories you burn per step. I think it also factors in how fast the song is.

Try googling whatever version of DDR you have + exercise mode?
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    DDR is awesome! I need to find one again cause my pad is broke :(

I was lucky enough to find someone selling three pads and two games online for 50.
    Look around on places like craigslist, or kijiji if they have that for your area!

:)
  • OnionCookie
    OnionCookie Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I do these games a few times a week. I register it as dancing general if I do a mix of songs and there's jumping. If the songs are mostly slow and no jumping I always registered it as light aerobics. I've had good success with it that way.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    In some versions of DDR (Supernova 1 and 2 for sure) there is an exercise mode that lets you put in your weight (and height too, I think). It'll calculate how many calories you burn per step. I think it also factors in how fast the song is.

Try googling whatever version of DDR you have + exercise mode?

I'll try looking for information for that.
    I already use workout mode, cause I thought it was neat to see the calories burned at the end of a song, just not sure how accurate it is. I'll look in to it :)
  • artisticappetite
    Options
    I'm pretty sure DDR has a workout function where you can put in your weight and have it count the calories for you! I know it does on the PS2, but I'm not sure about the XBox Kinect.. Maybe google if that console has the option.

Also, I lost 20 or so pounds in middleschool over winter break because DDR was all I did! It gets addicting, I wish I could get back into it, good for you!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I play pump it up. I just love to do it and have been doing it for years. Usually I play between Crazy/Hard modes, and man, it's a workout. At the end of a game, it will have a 'calories per song' meter thingy, but I don't know if it's accurate.

I'm a lot older than the average video gamer, lol..so when I do this at my local Dave and Busters, people look at me funny. I just tell them it's more fun than the gym! Usually they laugh and agree :)
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    I'm pretty sure DDR has a workout function where you can put in your weight and have it count the calories for you! I know it does on the PS2, but I'm not sure about the XBox Kinect.. Maybe google if that console has the option.

Also, I lost 20 or so pounds in middleschool over winter break because DDR was all I did! It gets addicting, I wish I could get back into it, good for you!

I too have lost weight in the past from DDR, it's a great. You have so much fun playing you don't even realize your getting exercise :)

I'm just not sure how accurate the calorie counter is on the game, and like to be as accurate as I can without a HRM. :p
  • MaryBowen27
    MaryBowen27 Posts: 132
    Options
    For better or worse, none of it is going to be accurate without a HRM. I would say invest in a HRM or put it on exercise mode and use the cals from. At least that way it's taking into account what mode you're on and such versus tracking as general dancing.
  • cestlafete
    cestlafete Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just started this morning doing some DDR and tracking it and I put it in as 'my exercise' with a title like 'Dance Dance Revolution, DDRMAX, Standard to Heavy' as a way of categorizing it. Certain games don't have the same songs, but I know what songs I'm more apt to play on each game, so categorizing it by which game and then getting an average amount of calories is a good way to go, I'd say. All I know is that I was dripping sweat when I finished this morning and I only did 15 minutes, haha!

And that's good to know about all the successes you guys have had in the past. I'm finally in a living situation that allows me to stomp around whenever I please, so maybe I'll get some weight off while it's too hot/humid to run outdoors ;D
  • Sammybunny711
    Sammybunny711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Omg...I LOVE DDR. It is my favorite form of home exercise, hands-down. I am actually planning on playing it this afternoon. :-)