Baby wearing?

Options
2»

Replies

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I`m planning on wearing my hrm next time I wear either of my two, maybe the zoo on wed. I`ve got a moby, and ergo, and an awesome baby hawk mei tei. I know my burns for pushing the double are far higher than the speed on here, so I`m pretty sure that it will be the same for babywearing.
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I was told to use a calorie calculator for hiking and add the weight you carry to your weight. I go hiking a lot with an 8lb medicine ball.
  • ckeachie
    ckeachie Posts: 26
    Options
    Old post... but wondering if anyone ever figure out a good solution to this?? My HRM broke, and waiting to replace it after I go back to work from maternity leave... but I walk with my LO at a quick pace for the dog twice a day... it has to count for something!
  • Rebecca1428
    Options
    I am late to this party but baby wearer here too! I think calorie king has hiking with different pack weights. I'd like to know wearing 15 pound baby while pushing 30 pound toddler in stroller ....
  • lydiaspotts
    lydiaspotts Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a toddler backpack that I use and have been asking the same question. I looked for the walking with a toddler in the database but couldn't find it. Anyone else have any luck?
  • CerridwenJo
    Options
    I know it's an old post but I'm new to myfitnesspal and I had the same question! This was very helpful! Only thing is my Baby is between 18 and 20 lbs. lol wish I knew. I too enter in the 15lb and consider the additional calories a 'bonus'. I LOVE carrying my little one on my back, she loves it too! And to answer your previous question, I use a spoc (simple piece of cloth) and typically tie it in a tibetan highback variation. If it's late at night and I am trying to get her to sleep, I'll sling carry her :)
  • nmross11
    Options
    Thanks for adding this-its been very helpful!!
  • susblevi
    Options
    Same problem lol I wore my 23 lbs daughter on my back while pushing my 25 lbs nephew in the stroller... For over an hour! That should have given me some serious calorie burn lol
  • mickiebabs
    mickiebabs Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    My youngest is now 7 1/2 but she was in a mei tai until she was 4. Just go to another site's calculator and put in your total weight when carrying the child (mom + baby= total weight), find the calories burned per your activity and then come back on here to log it.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    3772926_f520.jpg

Isn't thirty pounds about the weight of what an Army member or perhaps a marine would wear? Perhaps you could calibrate to that if you can find chart that plots that out. I am sure there has to be a service member on MFP who can correct my ignorance.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I would just add 30 pounds (or however much the kid weighs) to my weight and calculate the walk based on that weight. So instead of an 150 pounds woman, as a 180 pound woman.
  • Equus3nMom
    Equus3nMom Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use the hiking option and list his weight with the Kelty.

Yeah for wearing our kiddos. They like squat lift thrusts too LOL.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Use this website: http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

and simply add the weight of the baby to your weight and enter the total in the weight field.

The great thing about this one is that by using the "Net" option, you can calculate your eat-back calories directly without having to do the 75% maneuver.