Should I get a BMR analysis/test?

Options
My birthday is at the end of this month and I am thinking of asking for a BMR analysis/test. I have been on MFP since November 2011 and I have only netted down 7 lbs (lots of up and down in that time).

I have been trying through trial and error to figure out what is the highest amount of calories I can eat and still lose and can't seem to get to the correct range. It seems that I only lose when I am starving myself on 1200 to 1300 caIories per day; which is just not sustainable for me.
I do Insanity, strength training, and walk. I workout intensely at least 3-5 days per week.

Has anyone had the test and found the numbers to be drastically different than all of the calculators online? What are your thoughts?

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Replies

• JOEYJACKMOM
    Options
    bump...bump
  • JOEYJACKMOM
    Options
    bump...again
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I haven't had it done myself but there was a thread a few weeks ago and one of the posters stated that his test results were very close to the on-line calculators.

Depending on the cost I'd be interested in having it done, if nothing else you're working with better information.
  • JOEYJACKMOM
    Options
    I found a place that does it for $50.

Thanks, I'll search for the previous post to read about the other person's test results.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    For $50 I'd do it. Then again if you really have accurate intake and output estimates for the past 8 months, you have all the data to figure it out yourself. But none of us are very accurate, either. But be aware you could find out your RMR and still have estimating errors because you need to estimate your total calorie burn per day from that, and you still need to estimate your intake, too. So it could say your RMR is 1400 but if you don't find you lose unless you eat 1200-1300, that probably will not change.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I had it done and I was very happy I did. The online calculators overestimated my BMR by 250 calories... That's a big difference when you're trying to lose weight!

Mine was a full body composition analysis so it measured BMR, BMI, BF%, Water %, and the breakdown of fat in my body (arms, legs, trunk). It was extremely helpful for me and did help me adjust my calories and nutirition to get much better results. Since I now know my actual BMR, I've set my calorie goal here for my BMR number and then I eat back 50% of my exercise calories (more if I'm really hungry) and I've been steadily losing ever since. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    $50 for a DEXA scan isn't bad at all, especially when you consider the money you'll spend on food over the course of a few months trying to establish a good starting point. Its pretty much the gold standard of body composition testing and will give you all the stats you'll need to make future assessments. I wish more people would make use of this when they plan to restrict their calories too much.
  • fugaj01
    fugaj01 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    that does sound like a really good price for what should be more accurate, talored to you, information. I would do it if I knew a place that would for $50. let us know what you do and if you think it was worth it :)
  • LisaB55
    LisaB55 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    On this topic...does anyone know anything about which methods of measuring metabolic rate are best? How accurate is indirect calorimetry? That seems to be the only testing that is available in my area. Is it worth doing?
  • valerie521
    valerie521 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I havent had the test but have considered as well. I was doing 1200 calories for a while
    and working out 5 days a week. I monitored everything like a warden !! Hardly any results
    (felt like I gained more than I lost)

So, I upped my calories to 1500 and I seem to feel better and the scale is budging in
    the right direction. Seems too that when I was doing 1200 calories every day, then went
    over slightly I'd gain a couple pounds. I think everyone's metabolism is going to
    dictate what will work for YOU. But if you the test will help, Its worth the $50 in my
    opionion.

You have the drive to fix whats broken, but what if your on the wrong road ???
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I don't know if a BMR analysist test is right for you or not. I purchased a body media armband and it caculates my BMI. I have loved the feedback I get but at the end of the day...I'm still not efficient. And it's all ON ME. One great piece of advice I got from an instructor at my gym is to get off the scale and measure (waste, hips, etc)! You can drop a whole pant size and never see the numbers change on a scale or in my case, the scale even went up and I lost my confidence. I talked myself out of seeing my own successes because I can't get my eyes to stop looking at my scale. Good Luck with reaching your goals!
    Sharon in MA
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it in the morning. I asked a similar question and maybe 80% of people were close to the online calculator and the rest were off by 200 to 300.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i'd try changing your diet (instead of low cal try low carb) before spending money on something that might not even tell you anything different than what the internet can.
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I have also been on MFP since November of 2011 losing and gaining the same 7 pounds. I don't need a BMR test, but I found that my TDEE is lower than most calculators have told me through trial and error. It is impossible for me to eat more to weigh less, because if I eat more than 1760 I'll gain. So although I'm talking about TDEE and you're talking about BMR, the point is, you may find it worth it to get a test and see how off the calculators can be.
  • JOEYJACKMOM
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I'm going to do it and I might just get VO2 Max checked as well. I'm such a geek for numbers and accuracy.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Just had my RMR tested and my body fat. My RMR is about 8% higher than the calculations, which shocked me! I thought I'd be lower. My BF was 39.2% which is about 5% under most estimates.
  • yaymeforlife
    Options
    I had mine tested a couple years ago after a bout with mild anorexia (800 calories a day most days) and losing about 15 lbs. I wanted to see if I had done lasting damage to my metabolism. (i got it WHILE in the midst of such a low calorie intake)

NOPE. I was perfectly normal, my RMR was 1300, which for 100 lbs is perfectly normal. Then I had to add 10% burn of food, and additional day to day activities like showering, walking to work, etc. So even if I was completely at my desk job and no exercise just daily activities would put my calorie burn to approx 1500 calories. Which for 100 lbs like I said is perfectly normal.

It was worth it to me and gave me the peace of mind that I could start eating normally again and that I wouldn't gain back the weight. And it also convinced me that it is not as easy to go into "starvation mode" as everyone thinks it is. (at least for my body).