High Protein (> 175g) diets?

Options
Vonwarr
Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
Hello all - I've been working on my journey to good health, and as part of the process I've been getting back into some solid lifting.

I've been doing a fair bit of reading on macros and balances, along with what's necessary (in general, and while on a restricted diet). Basically, I should be getting at least 165g of protein a day, and could benefit up to 230g of protein.

My question to MFP is: Who else is eating this much protein? How are you reaching that level?

I've been eating an absurd amount of boneless skinless chicken breast and turkey breast (I absolutely loathe all seafood). I've switched to greek yogurt, have started supplementing baked goods that I make with protein powders, and am generally on the lookout for higher protein meals to have.

I do supplement with whey protein powders, but they are quite EXPENSIVE, and I'd rather them be an after-workout thing to take advantage of the window or only necessary on the occasional day, instead of becoming a necessary staple in my diet.

Replies

• _TastySnoBalls_
    _TastySnoBalls_ Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I, personally, would never eat that much protein. protein is hard on the kidneys and it messes with your pH. But I guess that's the fad :ohwell:
  • drewols
    drewols Posts: 77
    Options
    High protein is a fad? Get outta here with that
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm between 150 and 200 almost everyday. My body size and composition require it.

You can check my diary if you want. Protein Shakes, Eggs and lots of meat.
  • stonerdude
    stonerdude Posts: 103
    Options
    I, personally, would never eat that much protein. protein is hard on the kidneys and it messes with your pH. But I guess that's the fad :ohwell:

Have you flown over the cuckoo's nest?
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I typcially eat >300g daily. My usual sources:

Whey protein shake(s)
    1.5 lbs chicken breast daily
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt
  • Vonwarr
    Options
    So far sounds like everyone else is in the same boat then lol.... A lot of the protein sources people suggest normally are also very high in fat... i.e. peanut butter, cheese, nuts etc. (and while some fat is good.. too much is bad).

The best things I've seen so far are:
    - Huge amounts of lean meats
    - Skim/partially skim cheese
    - Greek yogurt
    - Eggs*
    - Protein powders
    - Baked goods fortified with protein powder

* Eggs have one of the best proteins for us, but are also kinda high on fat unless you stick to just egg whites.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options

No, unless you have pre-existing renal complications high amounts of protein even in the hundreds of grams will do absolutely nothing adverse to your kidneys.

As for ideas OP I regularly consume around 250grams and up per day without overly supplementing whey or anything. Feel free to peruse my diary, it's open.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    200g to 230g. Milk Protein Isolate and Whey/Egg/Casein powders; greek yogurt; cottage cheese; grass-fed beef, eggs, grass-fed turkey, mung beans are usually what does it for me.

I don't do low-fat either for most of my products: 90/10 beef/turkey; whole fat greek yogurt and cottage cheese.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Oats
    Eggs
    Protein Shake
    Clif Builder Bar
    Cottage Cheese
  • linda1243
    linda1243 Posts: 166
    Options
    cottage cheese, meats & egg whites!

Egg white scrambles with chicken fajitas (chicken strips, fajita seasoning, onions and peppers) is awesome and packed with protein!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Whey protein shake(s)
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt

Totally off topic but where can I get me one of them T Shirts like your son is wearing?? Outstanding!!
  • Vonwarr
    Options
    Thanks Chris, TheNewDodge, and everyone else. It appears that I already had most of the ideas down, I'll try to like cottage cheese again, and just continue increasing the portions of protein rich food that I eat.

I guess I'm doing ok, just need to keep it up. I keep joking that I should my profile name to "Chickenslayer".
  • K0135
    K0135 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I want to do this too! In the past I had lost a good bit of weight and really increased my muscle mass. I'm hoping I can do it again and not screw it up this time lol
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Whey protein shake(s)
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt

Totally off topic but where can I get me one of them T Shirts like your son is wearing?? Outstanding!!

Mall Kiosk! I didn't want to take the chance of not finding them again when his size changes so I bought a couple sizes up at the same time.
  • lauren3382
    lauren3382 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm aiming for 175g per day as I'm bulking right now. It's tough for sure, but I'm a 117lb female! You can check out my diary and see that there is a lot of chicken, fish, and eggs...plus a whey shake or two a day. Adding casein in next...
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Holy crap! That's an insane amount of protein! That would be nearly half of my calorie intake! I guess that's a good thing if you're looking to build huge muscles.

I want to be more of an endurance athlete body type. I certainly would never need to eat that much protein. I'd have a higher carb diet.
  • Vonwarr
    Options
    cottage cheese, meats & egg whites!

Egg white scrambles with chicken fajitas (chicken strips, fajita seasoning, onions and peppers) is awesome and packed with protein!

Sounds like a tasty breakfast (although it might make everyone in the office HATE me)!
  • IAmCorStar
    IAmCorStar Posts: 11
    Options
    Although I don't eat quite as much protein as you do, I eat a hell of a lot for someone my size (150g, I'm 92 lb). Although a majority of it does come from meat, greek yogurt, seafood, and eggs, I've found that you can add a significate amount of protein to your diet from non-protein foods. For instance I try to make at least 1 or 2 of my starches a day be beans/legumes (think more black beans than rice) which add an extra 7-8 grams per serving. Choose low carb breads/wraps and whole grain rices and pastas which usually have more protein than the regular versions. Certain veggies really pack in the protein like greens, (which are also just really good for you.)

For an example for lunch yesterday I made wraps using my "Southern Sidecar" (collard greens and black eyed peas, the recipes on my page), a package of tuna (but if you don't like tuna chicken would work just as well) and a little hummus (a couple protein grams there) and hot sauce. Not only was it delicious but it was apx. 350 calories and 34 grams of protein. If I had just had a regular tuna sandwich with lettuce, tomato, and mayo and a side of chips I would be looking at maybe 22 grams protein max (not to mention not nearly as much fiber, vitamins or deliciousness), even though my "protein source" was the same.

Basically one way to look at it is eat like you were a vegetarian who was being conscious about getting protein into their diet. And then also eat a lot of meat. Followed by a protein shake.
  • Tanpaku
    Tanpaku Posts: 4
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of adding tuna and salmon to a high protein diet. Been at it for nearly two years and I've seen huge changes. If you can afford sashimi, go for it, but higher end canned fish isn't bad either. Balance that with eggs, yogurt, chicken, powders(go for low–fat and/or micronized) and you'll find it's not too hard to consume those levels.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Around 200g coming from greek yogurt, eggs, chicken, salmon, casein, cottage cheese, and peanut flour.